Cannot believe how bad this offense looked in 2009

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
A HS coach on another site says we will now get HS QBs that will want to come here because JT has shown them what you can do as a QB in this offense, hope he is right. Build a top 25 defense to go with it and look out NC, here we come!!!
yep, THE QB in this system is critical
maybe a weakness in this class is NO obvious QB at JT level

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we didn't look so great against VT this year either.
One could argue that relatively we didn't look so great against Clemson this year either. But still put up 250 yards rushing against a team allowing 90 pg previously. The reason seems simple enough: really good defenses cause problems for everybody, including really good offenses. Because really good defenses have really good athletes on that side of the line, and good athletes blow up even the best laid plans.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Christian Campbell is a heck of an option quarterback
I agree with Alaguy in the sense that it isn't "obvious" that Christian would be a peer of Justin. JT is pretty special, so making it "obvious" sets the bar pretty high. However, you don't have to look too long at Campbell's vids to see he is wildly athletic. To be sure, he will be a different type player at the position. I'll say this much, I don't think it is "obvious" that he won't be at JT's level either. It will be really fun to see him try.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with Alaguy in the sense that it isn't "obvious" that Christian would be a peer of Justin. JT is pretty special, so making it "obvious" sets the bar pretty high. However, you don't have to look too long at Campbell's vids to see he is wildly athletic. To be sure, he will be a different type player at the position. I'll say this much, I don't think it is "obvious" that he won't be at JT's level either. It will be really fun to see him try.

Yeah, but is it really ever "obvious" that someone will be the next big thing? Anybody remember Ryan Perriloux, or Jimmy Clausen? They were supposed to win multiple heismans and championships each. Both consensus #1 recruits. I think the more important question is whether there are recruits in the pipeline who can reasonably expected to succeed. Based on my evaluation, I think Christian Campbell could make a contribution, and I'm excited to see what he can do. I don't agree that QB is a weakness in this class.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

I've been watching recruiting for a long time.VERY VERY few guys who had more running yds than passing yds in hi school turned out being college QBs.Campbell would maybe be another Nesbitt which isn't bad but he had better have another Bebe to help him out continuously.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, can you explain your view of him as a "different type" guy at QB? I think that is kind of intriguing.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Always going to difficult to find a great running AND passing QB for this offense. But a JN or TW with a great arm will make this O as dangerous as JT5 makes it. The ability to pass makes it a killer O.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been watching recruiting for a long time.VERY VERY few guys who had more running yds than passing yds in hi school turned out being college QBs.Campbell would maybe be another Nesbitt which isn't bad but he had better have another Bebe to help him out continuously.

But he runs a spread option offense similar to ours, and should be fairly ahead in terms of the reads. Thoughts?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Always going to difficult to find a great running AND passing QB for this offense. But a JN or TW with a great arm will make this O as dangerous as JT5 makes it. The ability to pass makes it a killer O.
Discovered this afternoon that I still had the Syracuse and Duke games from 2013, so I watched maybe half of each, strictly offense. A lot, more than I remembered, of that diamond put in for Vad Lee. No question in my mind that Lee made an excellent decision in opting for James Madison. Comparisons with Thomas are unfair to Lee. That shotgun depth option read is just too slow and lumbering from what I saw of it, and Lee's arm for two games at least was wild high.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, can you explain your view of him as a "different type" guy at QB? I think that is kind of intriguing.
There are several things. For one he is a bigger and taller kid. He will be a more physical runner. Campbell is agile, but he is not as inclined to be a jitter bug and whirling dervish in traffic, freezing everybody like JT does and can. Christian is more of a one cut slasher with a great burst of sprinting speed. He is decisive and gets turned up field ASAP putting pressure on the defense. He hits holes and outruns people. He can push the pile a little too. As a passer he tends to stand a little taller and longer in the pocket, even though he short arms the ball a little. He doesn't look as comfortable throwing on the run as JT. He doesn't have PLUS arm strength from what I can see but he looks very comfortable making the 45 yard throw when he steps into it. It doesn't take a ton of effort, if you know what I mean.

I think he is closer to the Vad model actually, albeit the stride length is shorter and the turnover rate quicker. Don't take that the wrong way. Vad's problems in our offense were not physical. Campbell appears to "get" the option and it DOES appear to be his thing, unlike VL. I hope this answers your question.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are several things. For one he is a bigger and taller kid. He will be a more physical runner. Campbell is agile, but he is not as inclined to be a jitter bug and whirling dervish in traffic, freezing everybody like JT does and can. Christian is more of a one cut slasher with a great burst of sprinting speed. He is decisive and gets turned up field ASAP putting pressure on the defense. He hits holes and outruns people. He can push the pile a little too. As a passer he tends to stand a little taller and longer in the pocket, even though he short arms the ball a little. He doesn't look as comfortable throwing on the run as JT. He doesn't have PLUS arm strength from what I can see but he looks very comfortable making the 45 yard throw when he steps into it. It doesn't take a ton of effort, if you know what I mean.

I think he is closer to the Vad model actually, albeit the stride length is shorter and the turnover rate quicker. Don't take that the wrong way. Vad's problems in our offense were not physical. Campbell appears to "get" the option and it DOES appear to be his thing, unlike VL. I hope this answers your question.
It does and I appreciate it. GT might have some interesting and very competitive QB battles and decisions to make over the next few seasons.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think that, in terms of running style, Boomer is describing Matt Jordan. He's just like that and he can throw to boot. I think Campbell will probably have to wait his turn at QB. But time will reveal all things on this.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think that, in terms of running style, Boomer is describing Matt Jordan. He's just like that and he can throw to boot. I think Campbell will probably have to wait his turn at QB. But time will reveal all things on this.
For sure it is going to be an interesting several years, given what is here, coming in and the one everyone hopes will come in. A distinct change from years past, though I have to say that I don't necessarily envy the guy who follows Thomas. That guy might be up some big time numbers, running and passing, in the next two years. (I never get tired of watching him on offense against MSU, even when blocking broke down, he made a big something out of not anything. How he hit a couple of those closing gaps is amazing. Good luck, successor.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That shotgun depth option read is just too slow and lumbering from what I saw of it,
This exactly. I remember watching the game and being baffled that Duke was having trouble with it. Decided later that they just were totally unprepared for it. Because it sure was slow developing.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

As I read about finding another "JT type" QB, I keep thinking that some people are writing off MJ. If Byerly hadn't transferred in a couple years ago, MJ would have been the backup and seen snaps this season. I think he's a perfect QB for our offense. Tracy Ham wasn't a "jitterbug" juker type. Tommy Frazier, either. One cut, turn it up field guys. They were decent. JT is special. MJ and others can be as successful at GT from a W/L standpoint, though.