Can the ACC catch the SEC in the conference rankings?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do we really feel like the SEC is best? Honestly? Oh boy. Where is this coming from?
Both Clemson and L'ville are better than any team the SEC has to offer. Bammer is good, probably a little behind the top two ACC teams. Who else is really good in the SEC? You could toss MISS and TN into a bag with VT, FSU, MIA, UNC or PITT and not know who would come out first. LSU and UGA are not very good. The entire SEC east is putrid.

In my mind, the ACC might be best from top to bottom. The BIG10 is best at the top, by a slim slim margin.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do we really feel like the SEC is best? Honestly? Oh boy. Where is this coming from?
Both Clemson and L'ville are better than any team the SEC has to offer. Bammer is good, probably a little behind the top two ACC teams. Who else is really good in the SEC? You could toss MISS and TN into a bag with VT, FSU, MIA, UNC or PITT and not know who would come out first. LSU and UGA are not very good. The entire SEC east is putrid.

In my mind, the ACC might be best from top to bottom. The BIG10 is best at the top, by a slim slim margin.
I'd love to see a matchup in the Orange Bowl of a 11-2 or 10-3 Tennessee team and 11-1 Louisville. It would beat the other prediction than had Tennessee vs probably 12-0 Boise State in the Cotton Bowl.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget that a thoroughly mediocre FSU team beat the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SEC- ole Miss
Ole Miss tends to fade in the 2nd half like Tennessee did in 2015. OM wont be a factor for a decade after the NCAA lowers the boom on them. The Rebels will miss Kelly badly when he leaves for the NFL after this season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ole Miss tends to fade in the 2nd half like Tennessee did in 2015. OM wont be a factor for a decade after the NCAA lowers the boom on them. The Rebels will miss Kelly badly when he leaves for the NFL after this season.
NCAA won’t do **** to Ole Miss.

Remember in the late 90’s when Alabama was bad? That’s what happens when the NCAA actually does something. They won’t make that mistake again.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
NCAA won’t do **** to Ole Miss.

Remember in the late 90’s when Alabama was bad? That’s what happens when the NCAA actually does something. They won’t make that mistake again.
Ole Miss aint Alabama and they wont get a break from the NCAA like Alabama does. Similar situation with how the NCAA will never go after North Carolina or Kentucky for all the rules they've broken in men's basketball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah even as a GT fan outside of Clemson i'm not sold on the overall strength of the ACC in Football.

Don't go in for on field results and actual, you know, data...do you? With respect, this is the typical SEC mantra...."they're just not as good as the SEC" without ANY data or on field results to back that up.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see a matchup in the Orange Bowl of a 11-2 or 10-3 Tennessee team and 11-1 Louisville. It would beat the other prediction than had Tennessee vs probably 12-0 Boise State in the Cotton Bowl.

If Louisville goes 11-1 they will likely get into the Championship layoffs. Just my opinion, of course, but:
  1. their loss was early
  2. it was to the likely #1 or #2 team (Clemson);
  3. they looked very good in losing on the road.
Other candidates with only one loss? Maybe the Ohio State-Michigan loser, but they would have s loss fresh in everyone's eyes...no SEC team will finish with only 1 loss besides 'Bama (although the Aggies have a shot at it if they can beat both Ole Miss and LSU at home...I just don't think they will...) and the Big XII and Pac Ten are both in serious jeopardy or not making the playoffs. Oklahoma at #19 is the top rated team in the Big XII while Washington (if they hold serve) will get in from the Pac Ten, BUT there remain tricky road games against Utah (5-1) and Washington State (3-2) and a tough home challenge from USC (3-3). My best guess for the playoffs would be:
Ohio State
Clemson
Alabama (they'll get in even with 1 loss if they win the SEC title game)
Louisville OR Washington

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Louisville goes 11-1 they will likely get into the Championship layoffs. Just my opinion, of course, but:
  1. their loss was early
Other candidates with only one loss? Maybe the Ohio State-Michigan loser, but they would have s loss fresh in everyone's eyes...no SEC team will finish with only 1 loss besides 'Bama (although the Aggies have a shot at it if they can beat both Ole Miss and LSU at home...I just don't think they will...) and the Big XII and Pac Ten are both in serious jeopardy or not making the playoffs. Oklahoma at #19 is the top rated team in the Big XII while Washington (if they hold serve) will get in from the Pac Ten, BUT there remain tricky road games against Utah (5-1) and Washington State (3-2) and a tough home challenge from USC (3-3). My best guess for the playoffs would be:
Ohio State
Clemson
Louisville OR Washington
As of now i think Tennessee goes to either the Orange or Cotton Bowls,Texas A&M goes to the Sugar Bowl,Ole Miss goes to the Citrus Bowl,Florida goes to the Music City Bowl,Arkansas goes to the Outback Bowl,Auburn goes to the Texas Bowl,Georgia goes to the Belk Bowl and Kentucky goes to the Liberty Bowl.

jeffgt14

1. their loss was early
Ohio State
Clemson
Louisville OR Washington
I don’t see Washington losing a game. Baylor is the only one right now with a shot out of the Big12. It’s going to be extremely difficult for Ohio State and Michigan to go undefeated. I can see the Big10 actually being left out if Baylor runs the table. From what I’ve watched I’d say Washington may be the best team in the country with Michigan close behind.

jeffgt14

I should add about Washington, they don’t play anyone with a defense so who knows what will happen when they do. Although I don’t like ranking conferences, no one in the Pac12 has played defense in about 5 years.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see Washington losing a game. Baylor is the only one right now with a shot out of the Big12. It’s going to be extremely difficult for Ohio State and Michigan to go undefeated. I can see the Big10 actually being left out if Baylor runs the table. From what I’ve watched I’d say Washington may be the best team in the country with Michigan close behind.
I think Stanford will wind up in the Alamo Bowl while the loser of the PAC 10 Championship game will play Michigan in the Rose Bowl

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Vandy could pull an upset on them as well or even South Carolina if Tennessee doesn't play a full 4 quarters.
The last 5 games are the easy part of the schedule and the expectation is to always sweep those 5 games. I think Kentucky will possibly go bowling with a 6-6 record possibly but i think Tennessee will be too much for them speed wise and talent wise. The game could be like last season's game and Tennessee win by something like 55-28. Tennessee should belt under powered South Carolina,Missouri and Vanderbilt.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The last 5 games are the easy part of the schedule and the expectation is to always sweep those 5 games. I think Kentucky will possibly go bowling with a 6-6 record possibly but i think Tennessee will be too much for them speed wise and talent wise. The game could be like last season's game and Tennessee win by something like 55-28. Tennessee should belt under powered South Carolina,Missouri and Vanderbilt.
The one reason I think Missouri and vandy have a chance is because of their D.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Washington State's games against Oregon and Stanford suggest to me they shouldn't be taken lightly. They should be able to play with UWash. The Pac12 champ will be bloodied imo.

I'm a believer till shown otherwise in Mich and tOSU. I think the winner will be an undefeated B1G champ and the other with the 1loss.

I agree CU and LOLvl will end similarly.

It will be interesting to see what happens, especially if other conf champs have 1+ losses.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
They(vols) do got a rabbit foot or two. They crushed the dwag spirit this year, so I'll start hating them when toe meets leather 2017.