Camp is over...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was, too. But Ken posted something today that says that's the case. CPJ with WTTE of BJS needing to be consistent and not be timid at times. I still think BJS would look good at OLB or Stinger.

Curry is a natural D player. I think we are still trying to find out if J Swilling is just a great athlete or also moving toward becoming a great D player.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Curry played really well at times as a freshman iirc, the kid is an instinctive LB and i’m really excited to see what he can do this season

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I personally thought that Swilling was going to end up sliding out to OLB eventually. Its possible he ends up getting play time there. OR being used to rotate between outside and ILB to prep him for next year when ILB will likely be him and Curry,

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread and I'll expand here: there's nothing that makes D players, regardless of position, more inclined to think a D scheme is great then that they will see the field using it.

Everybody in the 2 deep (and sometimes 3) is going to play this year. A lot. The whole scheme depends on having rested wheels on the field for four quarters. This does wonders for morale and - I hope, I hope - for performance. We'll see soon enough if all that good recruiting that Roof did over the last three years is ready to pay off. My guess is that it is, but the field is the only test now.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Taquon's career highs in completions and attempts...same game. Ouch...

22 is high for attempts, but the fact that he only completed 6 and THAT was the high for the season is brutal. I would have expected the high to be somewhere around 8-10...and hopefully that would be during a game where we only attempted 15-16 passes.

upload_2018-8-21_16-13-12.png

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Now we're talking! I think that's a pretty good guess for the opener. We've got so many new cats in the secondary that we should all be learning those numbers. You think Askew is gonna beat out Simmons - good for us if he does. Sounds like Carter is ahead of Dolphus based on CPJ comments. I'm not sure how Mason can move ahead of Howard though. If that's the case we are loaded at B.
I’d expect Askew to start over Simmons tbh. Simmons has been great on ST, but he hasn’t been that good at corner.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
BJS had much better stats as a true freshman than Curry as a redshirt freshman. I don't even really remember any plays of Curry standing out to me, but I remember BJS when he got in games. I don't know what the posters who are so high on him are seeing.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
BJS had much better stats as a true freshman than Curry as a redshirt freshman. I don't even really remember any plays of Curry standing out to me, but I remember BJS when he got in games. I don't know what the posters who are so high on him are seeing.
That's almost my point. We know how BJS plays. It's been a long time since we've seen Curry on the field. Coaches saw him outperform BJS in camp. Right now he's the better of the 2. That could change, but right now he's better than someone we all probably assumed would be a starter. Says a lot about him IMO, and means more than stats in limited playing time 2 seasons ago.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Not so much what the posters see but what the coaches see and comments coming out of camp. If Curry does beat out BJS to start along side Brant that's a good thing is it not? Going forward you have BJS and Curry side by side!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Curry has also fought injuries which might have kept him from going full speed. He also just said he’s really gotten it down this year after battling injuries and making the move from safety (which he played in high school) to LB, lets not forget the change of scheme which could be something that is benifiting him as well.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
On defense, we're gonna see a lot of guys play meaningful minutes. Reading between the lines, it seems if some guys move down the depth chart it's more a testament to who's ahead of them than reason for concern.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have little concern about the secondary. They are going to be at least good enough and have size, athleticism, and versatility. There isn't a superstar cover corner, but those aren't exactly falling off trees. What I want to see is lack of confusion in coverage -- guys knowing the play and understanding their responsibilities. No doubt we'll get burned from time to time, but that's inevitable. More important to the pass game is being disruptive at the line and getting ourselves into favorable down-distance situations. I know we lost all the starters, and each was quality, but they also had plenty of weaknesses

I have a feeling increased pressure up front from CNW's scheme will make the inexperienced secondary look awfully good...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was, too. But Ken posted something today that says that's the case. CPJ with WTTE of BJS needing to be consistent and not be timid at times. I still think BJS would look good at OLB or Stinger.

I think BJS would be a better OLB than ILB, but the problem is the way CNW likes his LB personnel, BJS is one of the bigger LBs on the roster. Unless there's a better option at ILB, it's hard to move BJS anywhere because Brant, Curry, and BJS are seemingly the best suited LBs to play there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think BJS would be a better OLB than ILB, but the problem is the way CNW likes his LB personnel, BJS is one of the bigger LBs on the roster. Unless there's a better option at ILB, it's hard to move BJS anywhere because Brant, Curry, and BJS are seemingly the best suited LBs to play there.
This is by no means a hit on BJS, and I could be wrong. It seems to me though, that he doesn’t have that super fast first step that CNW likes for the OLB and stinger position. If you notice Alexander is a big dude and he’s outside because of his get off.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
With Curry healthy we are in great shape with three quality ILBs and we can work in a very promising freshman to make a fourth, and then there is Tre J. So IMO we are very solid with ILB depth and the coaches will have a good rotation of their choosing. The pecking order of #2 and #3 is really not that important as all three will play and sort itself out.