Camp is over...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And there is nothing to talk about but 40 minutes of missed practice due to education....

Will the defense hold, backslide, or improve:

Miami got a whole new staff and they did well through the transition in 2017. If it is easier to learn and the scheme is "better' then I have a hard time believing the defense will not improve. The one unknown is how the back 4 will be able to cover and it comes down to ability as the experience left in 2017.
  • A better pass rush will help the inexperience of the back four right?
  • I wonder how the team will handle screens and bubble screens?
  • I hope the DE will close the outside on passing and loop back to close the run lanes on the QB like I have seen on App state film.

QB experience:

TQM had a spring and a fall to get ready at QB in 2017. He did have a head start in knowing the offense with some time at A-Back before getting hurt. Given the short time at QB in 2017, I expect him to see a jump in improvement in 2018. TQM in 2017 is about equivalent to asking Oliver to start in 2018 right?

Contested receptions:

I am tired of seeing these incredible contested receptions by other teams. This is GT's year to rip these balls away and or fly paper a few ourselves.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the floor for the defense is about the same as last year, but I’m optimistic that it could be much better.

I’m confident offense will be better barring multiple key injuries like 2015.

The kicking game looks less than solid, so let’s hope we score touch downs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And there is nothing to talk about but 40 minutes of missed practice due to education....

Miami got a whole new staff and they did well through the transition in 2017. If it is easier to learn and the scheme is "better' then I have a hard time believing the defense will not improve. The one unknown is how the back 4 will be able to cover and it comes down to ability as the experience left in 2017.
  • I hope the DE will close the outside on passing and loop back to close the run lanes on the QB like I have seen on App state film.

QB experience:

TQM had a spring and a fall to get ready at QB in 2017. He did have a head start in knowing the offense with some time at A-Back before getting hurt. Given the short time at QB in 2017, I expect him to see a jump in improvement in 2018. TQM in 2017 is about equivalent to asking Oliver to start in 2018 right?

Contested receptions:

I am tired of seeing these incredible contested receptions by other teams. This is GT's year to rip these balls away and or fly paper a few ourselves.

We had very short secondary players the last couple years. We have a lot more length now to help contest these throws. There may be different deficiencies instead however. The most bitter taste is usually the most recent that comes to mind. Hopefully the D will be nothing but sweet this year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I wonder if kickoff hang time is now going to be the goal instead of depth. If our kicker can just sky the ball to the 15 and let our cover guys completely surround the returner as he's making the catch forcing the fair catch, that's as good as a touchback.
This makes a lot of sense to me..

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I have little concern about the secondary. They are going to be at least good enough and have size, athleticism, and versatility. There isn't a superstar cover corner, but those aren't exactly falling off trees. What I want to see is lack of confusion in coverage -- guys knowing the play and understanding their responsibilities. No doubt we'll get burned from time to time, but that's inevitable. More important to the pass game is being disruptive at the line and getting ourselves into favorable down-distance situations. I know we lost all the starters, and each was quality, but they also had plenty of weaknesses

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There is plenty to talk about. How about some depth chart speculation?
I got you lol. This is in order of who starts and or comes off the bench first imo.

DE: Branch, Saint-amour, Owens, Glanton, Merriweather
NT: Cerge-Henderson, Adams, Glanton, Martin
ILB: Mitchell, Curry, Swilling, Jackson
OLB: Alexander, Henderson
Stinger: Campbell, Johnson, C Thomas
CB: Kerr, Askew, Swilling, Simmons, Walton
SS: Carpenter, Oliver
FS: Rivera, Campbell

QB: Marshall, Oliver
C: Cooper (when healthy) Lee
OG: Braun, Morgan, Bryan, Cooper
OT: Bryan, Marshall, Lee, Defoor, Ivemryer
WR: Camp, Stewart, Dolphus, Carter
A back: Lynch, Searcy, Cottrell, Jarrett
B back: Benson, Howard, Mason (could move up imo)

OL was hard because of injuries, and guys being interchangeable. If all are healthy the starting 5 will be Marshall, lee, Cooper, Braun, and Bryan imo.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I got you lol. This is in order of who starts and or comes off the bench first imo.

OL was hard because of injuries, and guys being interchangeable. If all are healthy the starting 5 will be Marshall, lee, Cooper, Braun, and Bryan imo.
Now we're talking! I think that's a pretty good guess for the opener. We've got so many new cats in the secondary that we should all be learning those numbers. You think Askew is gonna beat out Simmons - good for us if he does. Sounds like Carter is ahead of Dolphus based on CPJ comments. I'm not sure how Mason can move ahead of Howard though. If that's the case we are loaded at B.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

QB experience:

Contested receptions:

Honestly I'm just shocked Curry may beat out Swilling for that LB spot

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Now we're talking! I think that's a pretty good guess for the opener. We've got so many new cats in the secondary that we should all be learning those numbers. You think Askew is gonna beat out Simmons - good for us if he does. Sounds like Carter is ahead of Dolphus based on CPJ comments. I'm not sure how Mason can move ahead of Howard though. If that's the case we are loaded at B.
Yea, Askew is the most talented CB on our roster imo, he just doesn’t have the size all the schools were looking for. He was a 4 star by espn for a reason though.

I think CPJ said Carter would be the number 3 now because of Dolphus in a cast. Right before the cast it was said he’s separated himself for the number 3 spot. ( that was before they saw much of Carter though)

As for Mason he might not pass Howard, but CPJ wants to get him on the field, so maybe at A back or certain situations at Bback.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I'm just shocked Curry may beat out Swilling for that LB spot
I’m not, have you seen the dude? He definitely looks the part, but he’s also a hard nosed guy that played D all through high school, something Swilling didn’t do. Swilling will be good for us but he’s still got learning to do, CPJ made a comment of being more consistent and not so hesitant. He needs to know what he’s doing and just go.

I agree with your starting 5, but if Cooper is healthy, I think he slides to OG as a starter, and we keep Lee at center. Would love to see a starting 5 of T - Marshall, G - Cooper, C - Lee, G - Braun, T - Bryan.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I would add Dawson to DE, Cole to FS, -Anderson to WR, and King to CB. Mason is probably AB and BB. I can see J Thomas on STs and maybe another backup at Ss. Good list!