Calvin Johnson retiring.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CBS Sports reports that it is official. Calvin is hanging up the cleats.
"It's official: Calvin Johnson has retired after a stellar nine-year career. The Lions made the announcement on Tuesday morning."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lions offense will be exposed next year when opposing defenses aren't tilted towards Calvin's side of the field.

Good luck, Stafford. Should used Megatron more when you had him...

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Lions offense will be exposed next year when opposing defenses aren't tilted towards Calvin's side of the field.

Good luck, Stafford. Should used Megatron more when you had him...
yes!! He was way under used.....Stafford would always dump it down to Reddick or Golden Tate. It was very annoying for myself(Calvin on my fantasy team) and Lions fans. I hope they go 0-16 every year since Calvin is gone and Stafford gets traded to the browns :)

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ar...-Johnson/bb88f791-0815-42a1-9195-8786e332a224

Statement from Calvin Johnson on his retirement.

“Let me begin by apologizing for making this announcement via a statement and not in person. While I truly respect the significance of this, those who know me best will understand and not be surprised that I choose not to have a press conference for this announcement.

“After much prayer, thought and discussion with loved ones, I have made the difficult decision to retire from the Lions and pro football. I have played my last game of football.

“Let me assure you that this was not an easy or hasty decision. As I stated, I, along with those closest to me, have put a lot of time, deliberation and prayer into this decision and I truly am at peace with it.

“I also want you to know that I have the utmost respect and admiration for the game of football. It has provided so much for me and my family and I will be forever grateful to the game.

“With the reality of my decision, I realize there are a lot of people I would like to thank. I must start with my family – thank you for all your love and support.

“I also want to especially thank Mrs. Ford and the Ford Family for all their support over the years. They are tremendous owners and I loved playing for them. I would also like to recognize Mr. Ford, who I was honored to know and play for before he passed away.

“While it would be hard to name them all, I would also like to thank all of my teammates past and present.

“I also want to thank all of my coaches who I played for, in particular Coach Caldwell for his support, wisdom and guidance over the past two seasons. I loved playing for Coach Caldwell.

“There are so many other people I would like to recognize and thank for what they have done for me throughout my career, but rather than risk forgetting someone, I will simply say “thanks” to everyone.

“And finally, to the fans of Detroit and Michigan. I so appreciated your passionate support over the years and truly enjoyed playing for you. I loved playing in Detroit and will forever be a Lion. My biggest regret is that I wasn’t able to help give our fans a championship. But I do believe the future of the Lions is bright and with the leadership from people like Rod Wood and Bob Quinn, who I have gotten to know over the past few months, I am confident that our fans will soon be rewarded with the championship you deserve.

“From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for everything.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
yes!! He was way under used.....Stafford would always dump it down to Reddick or Golden Tate. It was very annoying for myself(Calvin on my fantasy team) and Lions fans. I hope they go 0-16 every year since Calvin is gone and Stafford gets traded to the browns :)

Oh, no, no, no. I want Stafford to toil in despair and stay in DET for the rest of his mediocre career. And I want the Lions franchise to get contracted. No, I'm not sure how Stafford will play for a contracted franchise but I'm dealing with a lot of hate right now so I haven't worked out all the logic.

Screw you Detroit!!

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Oh, no, no, no. I want Stafford to toil in despair and stay in DET for the rest of his mediocre career. And I want the Lions franchise to get contracted. No, I'm not sure how Stafford will play for a contracted franchise but I'm dealing with a lot of hate right now so I haven't worked out all the logic.

Screw you Detroit!!
lol he will still suck no matter what. The Lions are now 2nd behind the Saints on my least favorite...Stafford and 3 ND WR's on the same offense, that is disgusting. But if you are the browns QB, you are on a whole different level of awful.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CBS Sports reports that it is official. Calvin is hanging up the cleats.
"It's official: Calvin Johnson has retired after a stellar nine-year career. The Lions made the announcement on Tuesday morning."
The only good news I get from this is that now -- unless Stephen Hill wins a starting job in Charlotte -- I have to record only one NFL game on Sunday, and then fast forward through everything except Detroit's offensive plays, looking for a Johnson performance. But in the last couple of years the new offense had Johnson as an over-the-middle possession receiver rather than a flying downfield, double coverage guy. I always thought it was like having Wyatt Earp and using him like Barney Fife. Now with Denver's new offense it seems Thomas is not going to be deep that often. What little bit of fun is left in the NFL is being drained away.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I could not let go of this without one more primal scream. Here is as good a WR as has ever played the game, great hands, speed, leaping ability, top-of-the-arc catcher, big, strong, fast ... and until Stafford came on the scene played with a succession of third rate QBs who didn't have a clue, or the arm, to get the ball to him. Then there were the coaches. Oh, and Matt Millen, who other than having the good sense to draft Johnson, didn't have a clue what to do with him. Give him his first four years with just competent QBs, not even world beaters, just competent, and we would be looking at NFL records nobody would ever touch. What this guy did considering the front end of that combo was nothing short of astounding. I do kind of resist the negative painted of Johnson -- he didn't win playoff games -- because until the QB can chunk it, the WR can't do anything with it. It might fit a QB's dilemma, but not a wideout.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ar...-Johnson/bb88f791-0815-42a1-9195-8786e332a224

Statement from Calvin Johnson on his retirement.

“Let me begin by apologizing for making this announcement via a statement and not in person. While I truly respect the significance of this, those who know me best will understand and not be surprised that I choose not to have a press conference for this announcement.

“After much prayer, thought and discussion with loved ones, I have made the difficult decision to retire from the Lions and pro football. I have played my last game of football.

“Let me assure you that this was not an easy or hasty decision. As I stated, I, along with those closest to me, have put a lot of time, deliberation and prayer into this decision and I truly am at peace with it.

“I also want you to know that I have the utmost respect and admiration for the game of football. It has provided so much for me and my family and I will be forever grateful to the game.

“With the reality of my decision, I realize there are a lot of people I would like to thank. I must start with my family – thank you for all your love and support.

“I also want to especially thank Mrs. Ford and the Ford Family for all their support over the years. They are tremendous owners and I loved playing for them. I would also like to recognize Mr. Ford, who I was honored to know and play for before he passed away.

“While it would be hard to name them all, I would also like to thank all of my teammates past and present.

“I also want to thank all of my coaches who I played for, in particular Coach Caldwell for his support, wisdom and guidance over the past two seasons. I loved playing for Coach Caldwell.

“There are so many other people I would like to recognize and thank for what they have done for me throughout my career, but rather than risk forgetting someone, I will simply say “thanks” to everyone.

“And finally, to the fans of Detroit and Michigan. I so appreciated your passionate support over the years and truly enjoyed playing for you. I loved playing in Detroit and will forever be a Lion. My biggest regret is that I wasn’t able to help give our fans a championship. But I do believe the future of the Lions is bright and with the leadership from people like Rod Wood and Bob Quinn, who I have gotten to know over the past few months, I am confident that our fans will soon be rewarded with the championship you deserve.

“From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for everything.”

Dang...thanked everyone but us/GT!