Calvin Johnson retiring.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I didn't realize how many people would be making the argument that he isn't HoF. I get his career numbers don't come close, but when you're the best WR in the generation of passing attacks, you have to be in there. Maybe not first ballot but definitely HoF.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't realize how many people would be making the argument that he isn't HoF. I get his career numbers don't come close, but when you're the best WR in the generation of passing attacks, you have to be in there. Maybe not first ballot but definitely HoF.
Screw that, he's no doubt 1st ballot to me. He ranks up among the greats statistically (not he highest but he's on the leader boards) but was the single best player in the league for at least 6 of his 9 years while playing for a dumpster fire of a franchise. He is still the best WR I've ever seen, and I grew up watching Rice in his prime!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hope he finishes school and we offer him a coaching job. That should sway some recruits to have megaton as your positions coach!
Surely he will be visible to recruits and at special functions. As for coaching, I don't know. It is always problematic when a superstar is hired to coach or manage. Them what can do so easily often can't teach a lick. And Johnson made impossible catches look fairly routine.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was vaguely irritated with his reference to going back to GT for his degree, that since he has been out so long -- pro football will do that to you -- he might have to go through the admission process again. That would be a world class, hall of fame ignorant decision by somebody in administration. Mind boggling. You have a walking advertisement for your school and its education, who publicly states its importance and value, who has millions of dollars -- presumably, though he never seemed the type to ride with a posse spending his money, and if so his mommy and daddy would have slapped him silly -- and he is to be reduced to beginner status because by god we have our rules. Meanwhile, the millions of dollars from which he could contribute to various Tech activities maybe sits there. If they do that I would hate to see any more posts on Tech's academic acumen. (Even Gailey was smart enough to throw that fade to him against Clemson.)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Beckham Junior says hello.
Hahaha...nope. Put Odell (in his prime) on one side of the field and Megatron (in his prime) on the other and who gets more defensive attention? Calvin changed the way defenses played against a WR (you ever see anyone else get routinely triple teamed, and still produce top notch stats?)...it's not his fault he played for a franchise that only knows how to lose.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hahaha...nope. Put Odell (in his prime) on one side of the field and Megatron (in his prime) on the other and who gets more defensive attention? Calvin changed the way defenses played against a WR (you ever see anyone else get routinely triple teamed, and still produce top notch stats?)...it's not his fault he played for a franchise that only knows how to lose.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The guy holds four or five franchise records and at least one NFL record. During his tenure he has been pitched to by such luminaries as Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Culpepper, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton and mixed in there beginning in '09, Matthew Stafford, who did not establish himself as an uninjured starter until 2011. Except for Stafford, whatever happened to those guys? For those records he had five years with a quality QB. He ought to be a first ballot HOF choice just for suiting up with those stumblebums. I would doubt we will ever see that level of height, speed, power, hands and acrobatic leaping ability again. The only NFL I ever watched was to tape Denver and Detroit, and fast forward through everything else Johnson or Thomas was on the field. Watching Johnson was seeing magic.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I was vaguely irritated with his reference to going back to GT for his degree, that since he has been out so long -- pro football will do that to you -- he might have to go through the admission process again. That would be a world class, hall of fame ignorant decision by somebody in administration. Mind boggling. You have a walking advertisement for your school and its education, who publicly states its importance and value, who has millions of dollars -- presumably, though he never seemed the type to ride with a posse spending his money, and if so his mommy and daddy would have slapped him silly -- and he is to be reduced to beginner status because by god we have our rules. Meanwhile, the millions of dollars from which he could contribute to various Tech activities maybe sits there. If they do that I would hate to see any more posts on Tech's academic acumen. (Even Gailey was smart enough to throw that fade to him against Clemson.)
Unless the rules have drastically changed, this won't happen.

If you are out for two consecutive full terms or more but are in good standing, you apply for readmission and this is pretty routine.

If you leave not in good standing, you apply for reinstatement and that can be harder.

He may well run afoul of the ten-year rule, which states that coursework over ten years old may have to be retaken to count toward graduation.

He may have to retake calculus (ergh), but he will not have to go through the entire admission process all over again.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

You are reading too much into it. Every student who leaves school for more than two consecutive semesters has to apply for readmission. (And "readmission" is nothing—I repeat, nothing—like the original admission process.) As long as the student left in good academic standing, it is basically an automatic approval—it is really just a way of officially notifying your major school (and the Institute) that you are going to be back on their active roster. I don't know of a single case where such a readmission was denied.

A separate issue might be the Ten Year Rule—coursework more than ten years old has to be approved in order to apply to your degree. Again, this is a formality. I've approved such requests pretty much every time they've crossed my desk, and it is reasonably standard for all programs at Georgia Tech to do so. The Ten Year Rule is in place to make sure that you are not getting a degree based on knowledge that has since become obsolete. Think of a lapsed EE major from the 50s getting a degree in 2016 based on his knowledge vacuum tube technology, instead of digital electronics—or a returning CS major whose expertise is programming in COBOL.

I have no doubt that Calvin would be accepted back into the BC program, and most (if not all) of his prior coursework will be accepted in a snap.

Edit: Dang it! Everyone is beating me to the point, tonight...but to @Buzz776g: no, he would almost surely not have to retake calculus; it has not changed in...oh...longer than any of us have been alive.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
You are reading too much into it. Every student who leaves school for more than two consecutive semesters has to apply for readmission. (And "readmission" is nothing—I repeat, nothing—like the original admission process.) As long as the student left in good academic standing, it is basically an automatic approval—it is really just a way of officially notifying your major school (and the Institute) that you are going to be back on their active roster. I don't know of a single case where such a readmission was denied.

A separate issue might be the Ten Year Rule—coursework more than ten years old has to be approved in order to apply to your degree. Again, this is a formality. I've approved such requests pretty much every time they've crossed my desk, and it is reasonably standard for all programs at Georgia Tech to do so. The Ten Year Rule is in place to make sure that you are not getting a degree based on knowledge that has since become obsolete. Think of a lapsed EE major from the 50s getting a degree in 2016 based on his knowledge vacuum tube technology, instead of digital electronics—or a returning CS major whose expertise is programming in COBOL.

I have no doubt that Calvin would be accepted back into the BC program, and most (if not all) of his prior coursework will be accepted in a snap.

Edit: Dang it! Everyone is beating me to the point, tonight...but to @Buzz776g: no, he would almost surely not have to retake calculus; it has not changed in...oh...longer than any of us have been alive.
Didn't we get rid of the BC program?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we get rid of the BC program?
Well, yeah...there is that. Actually, that could really be an issue...or not. SOP for readmission cases is that the student falls under the catalog year of their readmission, not the original catalog year when they first enrolled at Tech. If Calvin comes back starting in Summer, which would be the 2016-2017 catalog year, the BC program may no longer exist. Even then, though, there would be a workaround—the admitting School has the option of allowing a readmitted student to return under a prior catalog year. My department has done this in the recent past, so I know it's a real option. The School of Architecture could choose to readmit Calvin under the catalog year when he first enrolled, sort of like a grandfather clause.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
And 'catalog year' will govern what further classes he has to take. Iow, he would not have to take a bunch of stuff that may have been added to or changed in the program since he has been out. He basically would just have to finish up.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
@GTpdm -- I may have beat you, but you explained it better. :)
I have been at Tech, as non-tenured faculty, long enough to know the rules & regs pretty darn well. (I tend to have to explain them to our tenured faculty...a lot...) It also doesn't hurt to be on good speaking terms with the Registrar and a bunch of the Associate Registrars.

I may seem like a know-it-all, but that's only (a) because I am ;); and (2) because I know where to look it up: http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/rules/1.php.

Back on topic, though—just having Calvin come back to complete his degree would be a huge PR coup; anything we could do to get him official standing with the football program (assistant coach or recruiter) would be gravy...