Calvin Johnson retiring.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I've known a couple NFL players that hung on too long and their bodies were shambles until they passed away, smart move on his part IMO. Needs to look after his $, most don't know how to do that, there are plenty of folks who will wrestle it away quicker than one might expect.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Dang...thanked everyone but us/GT!
uhhhhh.....

“While it would be hard to name them all, I would also like to thank all of my teammates past and present."

“I also want to thank all of my coaches who I played for, in particular Coach Caldwell for his support, wisdom and guidance over the past two seasons. I loved playing for Coach Caldwell."

“There are so many other people I would like to recognize and thank for what they have done for me throughout my career, but rather than risk forgetting someone, I will simply say 'thanks' to everyone."

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Calvin posted a picture of one of his finger injuries from his playing days. If you're interested, follow the link below.

WARNING: Might not want to look if you're squeamish

https://www.instagram.com/megatron/
Whoa...can't really blame the guy for retiring. The team never matched the effort he put into being great and he had no hope of a championship. Why wreck your body if the team isn't committed to winning?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Between Calvin and Thomas, if we had hired a head coach 8 years ago that threw the ball, we'd be wide receiver U. Instead, we are...... A-back U?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Former Lions WR Calvin Johnson: 'Things are going good right now'
His former teammate, Rob Sims, said most people don't understand how much pain and injury Johnson played through during his career. Johnson caught 731 passes for 11,619 yards and 83 touchdowns.

"He really played through some stuff that a guy of his caliber doesn't usually do," Sims said. "And we used him. We used him. I remember picking him up a couple times and being like, 'God, man, you should not be in this game right now.' But we needed him."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the Lions "used" him, as in abused him. It is reinforced reading his opponents' critiques of him as a receiver. Which came first I don't know, the injuries, or the over-the-middle dink possession receiver. Today's sports equivalency would be turning Clayton Kershaw into a closer. The pro game continues to baffle me, because most of those coaches won't make a decision the owner doesn't sign off on, then take a player like Calvin Johnson out of the game. On the field, but out of his game. I recall one over-the-middle throw that was worsened because he had to go up for it. Stretched out, elevated. The safety hit him. The chin strap went one way, the helmet the other, his shoulder pads got half turned around, and still he held on and got up, though slowly. Good enough for the coach, who left him in. Good for him. He should get that degree, not for his mother and not for Georgia Tech, but for himself. It's not important that he will never have to use it. But that he got it.