Byerly to Bback

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Could be worth a shot especially if Jordan is coming along well...would be a good to get Tim on the filed more and get Jordan some reps as a backup...and if a emergency happened we could always move Tim back...worth a gamble at least.

I certainly agree with finding a way to get Byerly on the field more. It might help the team more and be an easier/quicker transition to move Tim to WR where his body for blocking (a C Dennis role) and running the wide screen would fit his skills.

Declinometer

Banned
Could be worth a shot especially if Jordan is coming along well...would be a good to get Tim on the filed more and get Jordan some reps as a backup...and if a emergency happened we could always move Tim back...worth a gamble at least.
By watching MJ's body language throughout the season I believe he is "getting it" at QB. Seemed very upbeat and in tune with the game as opposed to discouraged. I think a player would know whether he could run the system after a year or so. See V Lee

dark horse

Georgia Tech Fan
Put the kid at B-Back and let him play. He's now 22 years old and weighs a good 220. He will be a 5 th year senior and has intimate knowledge of the offense and every single time we get to see him he plays lights out. He is good enough that nobody here worries if he has to come in and play. Anybody remember the Duke game last year? Did it look like the moment was too big for the kid? I've been watching CPJ and his teams since Tracy Ham was a freshman and his QB's NEVER get hurt. It's time to play Byerly anywhere he fits AND let him be the backup QB.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Because it hurts JeT's chances for the Heisman, of course.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing a LOT of Tim Byerly at QB this year..when we are up by 28 in the 4th quarter of multiple games. ;)
I was pondering this myself. If we improve as much next year as we did the last half of this year, he should play a lot.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
A few things our BBs HAVE to be able to do:

Make correct presnap reads for mesh and blocking
Secure the football on runs
Hit the hole fast enough to be effective

Sims and Days had a big advantage on getting the presnap read correct. One would think Byerly would as well as all but Leggett are new to the offense.

Wouldnt shock me if Tim got a look at BB. Obviously we need a reasonable #2 QB so as others have said MJ or Campbell would need to be that guy for Tim to move.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Actually Stoudt won four games before Watson played, and a bowl game after he had surgery. Not Watson but nobody is, and one can't escape the feeling GT got lucky Watson was hurt early because they were rolling. But: if he remains the 2 deep QB, then it means that Matthew Jordan is not the prospect some folks considered him to be, to be No. 3 at best in his redshirt year. And did Byerly even get to play in the runaway Orange Bowl?
I do not understand why Tim was not put on the field during the last minutes of the OB. There were some other games also where I thought he could have been put in the final minutes and wasn't. There also have been times that JT5 looked like a two play breather or series would really help JT5. QB in our O takes a lot pressure. Tim has shown there in not much if any of a drop off with him in the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I believe 2015 could be as special as 2014
This year afte first 2 games schedule gets tougher as season progresses - we will play tougher teams that will nick up the backs and receivers ( JT duke, snoddy clemson, smelter uga, etc ) . We need Byerly ready as he can do fine job so we DONT have to rush a nicked up qb back too soon. That's thought 1.
The second thought - following year byerly will be gone and we need Mj to be ready for support in JT senior year. Does he need some time this year to be ready for backup next year.

I say throw the dice and let him try it in spring and compete with legget. If he is awesome then let the good times roll and he can be the BB and be the 2015 SD story. But if no big gap then go with younger backs with byerly as prime backup for qb. Keeping close eye on MJ progress.

I would love to see rocket toss fake run to bb byerly who hits Cottrell on fly pattern down the seam. .
We are favored with many good athetes - got to let them platoon or liberally sub to keep up moral. What a problem!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand why Tim was not put on the field during the last minutes of the OB. There were some other games also where I thought he could have been put in the final minutes and wasn't. There also have been times that JT5 looked like a two play breather or series would really help JT5. QB in our O takes a lot pressure. Tim has shown there in not much if any of a drop off with him in the game.
Thought I was the only one who wondered about the thing. I thought he had earned a shot to tell his kids or grandkids about, even for three or four plays. Not like the game was even close.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not a big believer in this TB to BB talk. First of all, we would be crazy to move him before it is clearly established that MJ has beaten him out for #2 QB. TB can play BB, but he won't be the player that the rest of the guys in the pipeline are. My guess is that he will find himself in the same position at BB as he is at QB.

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
If I'm Byerly I'm asking for the chance in the spring I think he would get alot more chance of getting on the field. And would not be surprised if not the starter for the first few games as they ease the younger guys in.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's simple. If he wants to try it he does. If he wants to stay at QB he does. Worrying about the possibility both get injured, while a possibility, is foolhardy IMO. Both could also get hurt if both remain QB only.
I've never been a big fan of not doing something purely because there is a little risk. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
As others have said...we got NOBODY coming back with game reps outside of Snoddy.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be worth a look in the Spring just to see if could do it.Only real downside is keeping Leggett,et all from getting reps but may be offset by Jordan getting time.
BUT--if Leggett has looked real good then don't,we need a dependable exp guy at bback next yr

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone here is in agreement that he would be able to play BBack no problem. That doesn't mean he will though.

I do wish he got more mop up time. When he cam into the Duke game that was the only time we were able to move the ball effectively.

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to see TB stay as a backup, but also as a short yardage QB. I think he is a much better QB than even JT when you need 3 yards or less for a first down or touchdown. He is very good at reads and getting yards after contact on the keeper. Also, give him more reps when we have a lead. He is not a liability running or throwing. Bring back the touchdown vulture. Also, we need to develop 2 BB's as quickly as possible for not only this year, but for next year. Giving reps to TB at BB will not help develop our very talented but young BB's.