Byerly to Bback

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Second-string QB is the most important backup position on a team. It makes no sense to move Byerly away from such a critical position where he is a proven player, especially to a position where he has no more experience than our other backs. Doing so means taking away practice reps at QB when we might need him to perform at a moment's notice.

Or to put it another way: how did Clemson look when Watson went down and Stoudt came in? With TB backing JT up we wouldn't experience such a disastrous drop-off.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Good thing GTSwarm's opinion wasn't asked for by the coaches regarding moving backup QBs to RB if so we would never have seen Days and his 69 yard run in the OB..... :cool:
Was Synjyn a second-string QB with Byerly's abilities? No. He was moved to BB when it became clear he wasn't going to contribute at QB.

Besides, I doubt anyone thinks TB couldn't succeed at BB. He probably could. But we need his skill set more where he's at now.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Say you move Byerly to BB, and then Thomas goes down for the season, who do you want at QB? You want Byerly!!! End of discussion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about this. If we hadn't got JT, I think we would still have won 9 - 10 games last year with Tim at QB. He really is that good; another Nesbitt, but one who can throw. Indeed, he throws the ball better then JT.

Which is an excellent reason to keep him in there as a reserve. We were lucky with skill position injuries last year; Laskey being out was the only one and that didn't hurt at all. Next year? Who knows?

The main thing that would militate in favor of a move is that with Jordan and Swilly, we have two backups who can run like nobody's business. Problem = neither one has game experience. Further, it makes little sense to keep a talented athlete like Tim on the bench. Still, I'm betting he stays there, ready to come in if the worse happens, Which, unfortunately, it often does in football games.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
If Jordan is making real progress and CPJ sees he is capable to be a #2 QB Then give Byerly opportunity somewhere else. But Jordan would need some reps in first two games to prove Byerly could be used else where. I have wanted to see some special wildcat formations with Byerly in the backfield. I thought having Days Byerly and Thomas in the backfield for some wild cat plays last year would have been fun. CPJ believes in his O and I am sure practices like a dance routine or figure skating routine so it is run as perfect as possible and there is no need for much time spent on other formations.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no doubt that Byerly would make a good BB. I would also like to see MJ get some game reps at QB to prime him for 2017 and prepare him for backup in 2016 when Byerly is gone. This also allows a 3rd QB to get more reps too. Keep in mind we have 2 other walk on QBs that did not look to bad last spring to use in a pinch.

The down side is less reps for Bylerly at QB if we need him. It would mean red shirting our incoming BB, which is not a bad idea if Byerly gets the job done at BB. Knowing and executing our system is just as important as athleticism. You don't pick up our "7 plays" in a summer camp with all the different variations. A player really changes in body and mind after that first year.

That said, if one of the backs comes in super smart, picks up all the schemes/knows where to go, can execute block or run, and is a game changer then keep Byerly at QB. That my friends is a tall order for an 18 year old in a summer camp.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with @takethepoints that with Byerly at QB we probably would have won 9-10 games. I think Byerly is that good and would prove it with more reps.

Should he play BB? Only if he is one of the top two BBs in practice. Only the coaches will know that and we should get the best players on the field.

If JT gets hurt, Byerly can play QB and be loose. Or a better solution is play MJ if he and Byerly are about the same at QB since MJ is more the future QB (don't forget CC!).

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
this is not happening. CPJ might be the most superstitous coach out there and there is no way he is moving his back-up qb with JT at the helm.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We've got some seriously talented guys coming in at B-back, no need to move our number two QB, thats crazy

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Second-string QB is the most important backup position on a team. It makes no sense to move Byerly away from such a critical position where he is a proven player, especially to a position where he has no more experience than our other backs. Doing so means taking away practice reps at QB when we might need him to perform at a moment's notice.

Or to put it another way: how did Clemson look when Watson went down and Stoudt came in? With TB backing JT up we wouldn't experience such a disastrous drop-off.
Actually Stoudt won four games before Watson played, and a bowl game after he had surgery. Not Watson but nobody is, and one can't escape the feeling GT got lucky Watson was hurt early because they were rolling. But: if he remains the 2 deep QB, then it means that Matthew Jordan is not the prospect some folks considered him to be, to be No. 3 at best in his redshirt year. And did Byerly even get to play in the runaway Orange Bowl?

If he moves take a look at A-back, not B. No breakaway speed on the edge, but fast enough to get there and powerful enough to turn it north-south.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@RussianOffense

I see it as the opposite..no one at B Back that is in the roster has a single snap.

Hes got a good frame and is strong...I say give him a shot in Spring along with Quaide and Leggett.
But how is his speed? I like his running in general but for some reason I do not think he would be quite as explosive at B-back. Part of me thinks that because we all like him, and because he works hard and is a team player, we want to see him rewarded with playing time. I feel that tug too.

But my wish would be to make sure we have a really talented back up ready to go (Ohio State had two backups and it helped them win a national). Related to that wish, I would like to see him get to play for an entire quarter or more when we have a big lead against lesser opponents. I think this would help JT too.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I like trying him there, can move him back during the season if needed, think I've heard CPJ say they have moved an AB to QB successfully in the past and it may solve our need to find a transfer for BB( an already college graduated BB)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Granted it wasn't "emergency" back up duty but I'd prefer Byerly (or whatever backup QB we go with) to do as well as Stoudt did against Oklahoma, Louisville, BC, Syracuse and WF. He wasn't able to pull of a miracle against the Mutts, but besides that game and us he proved to be a high quality back up. How much more can you ask for in limited reps with the 1st stringers?