BRING ON THE SPRING !!

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm anxious to see how this new defensive scheme works out! Given the average points scored last season, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that our D gave away some losses. New players, high energy and the will to prove themselves. From the way I saw it, less talented seniors were starting over guys who had more skill. Also, I'm watching for QB development. Lucas Johnson and James Graham are at the top of my list.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree there must have been some chemistry problems in the secondary last year. The locker room fight was not good. Some of that may have been our DL put too much pressure on coverage and started some finger pointing about missed assignments between the players.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm anxious to see how this new defensive scheme works out! Given the average points scored last season, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that our D gave away some losses. New players, high energy and the will to prove themselves. From the way I saw it, less talented seniors were starting over guys who had more skill. Also, I'm watching for QB development. Lucas Johnson and James Graham are at the top of my list.
I'm not sure we will see too much defensive schemes in the spring game. I sure the offense and defense will be very basic .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure we will see too much defensive schemes in the spring game. I sure the offense and defense will be very basic .

I hope that CPJ will chose to pass a lot so the D can get some looks and a chance to get after the qb

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not expecting much from the D in its first year under new coaches and using a new scheme. Coming up to last year's standard with a bit better performance in late drives would be just fine with me.

I'm with those here who don't understand the fixation on replacing TM at QB. (Sort of sings, doesn't it?) When I watched him last year he reminded me a lot of Nesbitt in his first starting year. All the complaints here about hogging the ball? Check. ABs often ignored at the edge? Check. Good on long throws, bad on short ones? Check. Trouble with pressure and finding WRs? Check. Missed reads? Check. Terrific runner? Check.

We know how all that turned out. I don't know if TM will improve greatly in the spring, but, to be frank, if he shows some improvement on the above, he keeps his job. If not, he gets beat out, probably by Johnson, who will get significant snaps in some games anyhow. We'll know soon enough.

Now, as to the topic at hand:

Offense: Howard - He won't take Benson's job, but I bet he'll get 1/3rd of the snaps. Whatley - Yes, I know he's a frosh and we don't know if he can block. He's what we need at AB, however; a big guy who is really fast. Again, I'm betting he plays next year. Clark - He played in our O at Marist and has had a year to grow. Second string at OT, depending on Marshall's return.

Defense: Branch - He's a potential star in the new D. Owens - He played last year as a frosh and has good speed. He'll be in the rotation. Johns - Another frosh special. His film was impressive and he's the right size for the new D. Won't start, but he'll play, I bet.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
After listening to the CPJ presser I'm very interested to see how Charlie Thomas performs. CPJ said that he'd start out at wide receiver instead of safety.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Yes !! High energy .....like CPJ used to say " play like your hair is on fire ",

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m looking forward to seeing LJ get a lot of snaps, I personally don’t forsee him taking the job away from TM but I do really hope that he will get significant playing time this fall to get him ready for ‘19

Maybe I am imagining things, but I believe CPJ said in the press conference today that he hopes LJ or TO can show enough in Spring and Summer to take at least a series or two each game away from Marshall. I'll have to listen again, but I thought he said something like Marshall took too many hits last year and it started to wear on him late in the season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Kaleb Oliver, Christian Campbell, Antwan Owens, Jaytlin Askew, Jaquan Henderson, Jordan Ponchez-Mason, Jalen Camp, Boe Tufele, Mikey Minihan, Xavier Gantt.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What I believe he said was that Marshall and Johnson will be fighting for the top spot. I felt so bad watching Marshall get punished last year... he really does need to move back to A-Back...

I listened again and transcribed it(I'm not a good transcriber, and I write down uhs and you knows). He was responding to a question about what Marshall needs to work on in the offseason/Spring. He said:

"Well I thought that Taquan had a good year. We would like to improve throwing a little bit. I think that he was better early in the year. I think he carried the ball enough time during the year that toward the end he kind of go beat up a little bit. We also played some really good defenses. If you look at the stats after the season's over we played a lot of defenses that are in the top 25. I think that Taquan's really resilient, tough. Just maybe consistency throwing wise. I'd like to see Lucas take another step forward too. And it will be interesting watching Tobias play. So in the Spring we'll have a good competition. Be great if one of those guys could take a little bit off him. We could get him out of a series a game or something like that."

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like the job is wide open!

I would think that Taquan has the inside track. If everything else is equal Taquan has a year of game experience in his favor. I, unlike many here, don't believe that CPJ would start anyone he doesn't feel is the best one for the job. Even when JT5 was playing, if someone really did better than him in practice I believe they would have played. Doing better doesn't mean throwing the ball better, or running one play better, or being a more elusive runner. It is a combination of all of those things along with knowledge of the offense, speed of making option decisions, maturity, and being able to get the other guys to follow you. I am probably missing a lot of factors in the decision. If any of the guys can demonstrate all of that beyond Taquan's ability, they will be the starter. I would think that even if James Graham came in this summer and immediately picked up on all of the plays, read the options extremely quick, passed very well, and got the support of all of the offensive players, that he would be playing. With a new freshman that is doubtful. And even if he did all of that, he might be eased into that instead of starting the first game, but he would be playing.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think Andonicas and Henderson will stand out. With a year of experience under his belt I think Taquon will be excellent this year but I think even if he plays great, LJ will get playing time in most games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm with those here who don't understand the fixation on replacing TM at QB. (Sort of sings, doesn't it?) When I watched him last year he reminded me a lot of Nesbitt in his first starting year. All the complaints here about hogging the ball? Check. ABs often ignored at the edge? Check. Good on long throws, bad on short ones? Check. Trouble with pressure and finding WRs? Check. Missed reads? Check. Terrific runner? Check.

We know how all that turned out. I don't know if TM will improve greatly in the spring, but, to be frank, if he shows some improvement on the above, he keeps his job. If not, he gets beat out, probably by Johnson, who will get significant snaps in some games anyhow. We'll know soon enough.
Don't sleep on Tobias Oliver. He's probably the most option ready hs qb we've ever recruited.