Brian Kelly Press Conference

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is why I find the choice of words interesting. CPJ changes on the fly and other coaches do not. That means other teams do not know exactly what to expect.

I'm all for suggesting we just impose our will many times in many games. It seems though that the "chess match" is an intellectual battle of predicting what will happen next. Since others did not take Kelly's statement this way, seems I am in the minority of how it was meant to be interpreted.
You're not. Johnson is a demonstrated master of doing game hummingbirds and turning on a dime with changed blocking schemes, almost play to play, and it is his strength. Don't recall his name, though he is successful in the NFL, but there was a VT safety who boasted the week leading up to the game that he had founds "tells" in the offense and knew what GT was going to do. He got used and abused by blockers from every direction and every position except maybe the QB and never knew what hit him. Anybody who says he has figured out the offense doesn't have a clue.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes I like getting respect and hype from an exposure and recruiting perspective. Your right though don't let people tell you how good you are, go out and show them. Having a good team we need to go into every game not just to win but to destroy our opponents. If we win a game by less than 14 then it needs to feel like a loss and make us hungry to make up for not dominating.
I'll take a 1 point win on Sat, thank you very much.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
You're not. Johnson is a demonstrated master of doing game hummingbirds and turning on a dime with changed blocking schemes, almost play to play, and it is his strength. Don't recall his name, though he is successful in the NFL, but there was a VT safety who boasted the week leading up to the game that he had founds "tells" in the offense and knew what GT was going to do. He got used and abused by blockers from every direction and every position except maybe the QB and never knew what hit him. Anybody who says he has figured out the offense doesn't have a clue.
Kam Chancellor

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I thought their press conference was outstanding and far better than ours. So what? I would rather have good results on the field. Coach Kelly did a great job and was as respectful of our program as possible. I think he respects what we have going on as much as we do. His job is to try and go out and beat it. Not an easy task and not one that was presented as easy either. Where are all the good reporters in ATL? Where can we get some like theirs?
The question of the young century, but there doesn't seem to be many left. My local paper is a shell of what it was, and while all of I see of the once formidable AJC, it is too. On the other hand, good ones would be critical of the program once in a while, and watch the message boards go berserk ... wondering where all the good reporters are.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The question of the young century, but there doesn't seem to be many left. My local paper is a shell of what it was, and while all of I see of the once formidable AJC, it is too. On the other hand, good ones would be critical of the program once in a while, and watch the message boards go berserk ... wondering where all the good reporters are.
I think most of us would agree Ken S from the ajc does a great job on Tech's beat.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I will too, but we can't be satisfied with that. We're better than 1 point and if we act like we're finally being seen as we should be and get complacent, this schedule will crush us.
Sure we can. The OB and November 2014 apparently has spoiled us.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I thought their press conference was outstanding and far better than ours. So what? I would rather have good results on the field. Coach Kelly did a great job and was as respectful of our program as possible. I think he respects what we have going on as much as we do. His job is to try and go out and beat it. Not an easy task and not one that was presented as easy either. Where are all the good reporters in ATL? Where can we get some like theirs?
The big thing about the ND conference was you could hear the question.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And the Virginia offense is like the GT offense how? I am not belittling ND, or taking them lightly. But geez, we are ascribing Superman qualities to them, that by playing Virginia and then Navy in the past, they know what to do, that if they use their eyes, play assignment football, then things are fine.. Navy plays Notre Dame every year, and every year runs the ball on them. Last year, the 12th or 13th time they had played the spread option, Notre Dame, familiar with the offense, gave up 330 yards rushing. It is called an option for a reason. If we get the blocks and if Thomas makes the right read, we are going to score and ND can keep their eyes working until they turn purple. Sorry, but I am just a bit weary with this tiptoeing around the ND "mystique". If I remember, Virginia lost on a last minute play. Virginia. Mike London's Virginia. ND is good. GT is good. We should respect them. They should respect us. Tee it up.
Alrighty then. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is why I find the choice of words interesting. CPJ changes on the fly and other coaches do not. That means other teams do not know exactly what to expect.

I'm all for suggesting we just impose our will many times in many games. It seems though that the "chess match" is an intellectual battle of predicting what will happen next. Since others did not take Kelly's statement this way, seems I am in the minority of how it was meant to be interpreted.
Yes. I heard his statement completely differently.
In context it sounded like this. Tech presents a challenge. They are difficult to beat. They come at you a lot of different ways. They have an outstanding coach. Yes, we know exactly what we are up against.

I heard nothing that sounded cocky or like he thought they had nothing to fear. And, not to put too fine a point on it, if you know that Tech can pull a lot of unexpected stuff then that is something you come to expect also. "We know when we play Tech we are going to get a lot of things we did not expect," would be the way I heard his response.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fwiw, I think coaches have to hype their knowledge of what we're doing to help their players with confidence. They only have a chance if guys do their own job and trust their teammates to do their jobs. The players are more likely to do this if they trust the coaches that it will work.

Now, fwiw, Kelly also said that he has to have adjustments prepared for his team as well. So, they've also got to find the balance between preparing enough and trying to do too much.
Yes. I heard his statement completely differently.
In context it sounded like this. Tech presents a challenge. They are difficult to beat. They come at you a lot of different ways. They have an outstanding coach. Yes, we know exactly what we are up against.

I heard nothing that sounded cocky or like he thought they had nothing to fear. And, not to put too fine a point on it, if you know that Tech can pull a lot of unexpected stuff then that is something you come to expect also. "We know when we play Tech we are going to get a lot of things we did not expect," would be the way I heard his response.
Both good points. Hadn't thought about what you suggested.

@AE 87 - I agree that factor probably outweighs any other that has crossed my mind

You attract more bees with honey not vinegar. That's what I heard. I m so looking forward to Saturday afternoon. Navy is my other team I pull for and they always give ND fits. They have met the pupil, now ding ding ring the bell the master class is bout to begin.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Every one knows what CPJ is bringing, but can they execute well enough to stop CPJ. Not only execute, but can they change as CPJ changes.
In another sport analogy, every batter knows what Clayton Kershaw is bringing, and every batter continues to swing at breaking pitches in the dirt. Because when they decide to swing it looks like a fat pitch above the knees. Kind of deceptive.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

As someone else said it was Kam Chancellor. I hate him and love this video.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that, and the quality of the questions was good too. Call me a traitor, but I also thought Kelly presented himself in an excellent way too. He is pretty good at that phase of his job.

Rather have our guy overall though, no question.
It is the one requirement of the high profile job that Johnson does not always do very well, maybe because he has spent so much time fending off the HS offense, gimmick labels and he just gets tired of it. (A particular reporter in Raleigh now runs from any association with it, though he was among the most adamant in disdaining the offense before and after the '08 game at UNC, and leading up to the '09 game, but never since that Saturday. He is a very quiet individual these days.)