Brian Kelly Press Conference

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
He's right, of course. We don't really change up what we do offensively. Defensively, though? Might expect to see a wrinkle or two thrown in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All of our opponents "know exactly what to expect" when it comes to GT. He's not saying anything outrageous or profound.

The $$$ question is, can ND stop it Saturday?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Brian Kelly made a player with a torn MCL get himself off the field rather than take a 10s runoff and/or timeout...nice guy. It earned him 3 extra seconds.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We know that that are probably going to play us like VT does too.

This game will be determined by who executes better.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Brian Kelly made a player with a torn MCL get himself off the field rather than take a 10s runoff and/or timeout...nice guy. It earned him 3 extra seconds.

Like you said, they basically ended up using 10s anyways. Stay classy, BK.

While the injured guy is rehabbing, he'll be in charge of heading off the sexual assault allegations. After that? Guess who has to get up on the scissorlift the next windy day at practice?

Sorry to be a little extra, but I really don't like that guy.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It sounds me to me (based on Kelly's comments about Navy being able to "formation" Smith out of some plays) like we should expect to see Jaylon Smith at the MLB spot. Which is a bit concerning IMO.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It sounds me to me (based on Kelly's comments about Navy being able to "formation" Smith out of some plays) like we should expect to see Jaylon Smith at the MLB spot. Which is a bit concerning IMO.
As concerning as ND having to completely change their entire defense to try and stop us? I know I've read that they had an "assistant" spend the entire offseason devoted to figuring out how to stop us. I just think if you're asking guys to play out of their natural position those guys are more likely to make a mistake when forced to read our adjustments. If he's not used to playing MLB, he's more likely to blow a coverage that may be typical for a MLB.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
As concerning as ND having to completely change their entire defense to try and stop us? I know I've read that they had an "assistant" spend the entire offseason devoted to figuring out how to stop us. I just think if you're asking guys to play out of their natural position those guys are more likely to make a mistake when forced to read our adjustments. If he's not used to playing MLB, he's more likely to blow a coverage that may be typical for a MLB.

I guess but the MLB would already be asked to do things out of his comfort zone against us anyway.

VPI has typically put its most impactful LB/DB at the deep MLB position against us to great success.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I guess but the MLB would already be asked to do things out of his comfort zone against us anyway.

VPI has typically put its most impactful LB/DB at the deep MLB position against us to great success.
Miami also tried it with Sean Spence (successfully) and Denzel Perryman (not so successfully), but those were MLBs naturally. I think last year's games are probably the best for comparison because of the evolution of our OL, and that strategy wasn't so great last year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
O.K., that was actually kind of amazing.

Brian Kelly spent the first 4 minutes 39 seconds talking about how great Tech is, how great certain Tech players are and what a great job CPJ has done throughout his career. Frankly, that was the biggest love letter I have ever heard an opposing coach give to a CPJ team. The opposite of what he said would be the Frank Beamer approach or the David Cutcliffe approach, who both seem to want to demean the system. That is not the way Kelly played it at all. Still amazed.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami also tried it with Sean Spence (successfully) and Denzel Perryman (not so successfully), but those were MLBs naturally. I think last year's games are probably the best for comparison because of the evolution of our OL, and that strategy wasn't so great last year.
truth and on the same token Van Gorder is not Bud Foster.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
http://www.watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian_Kelly_Press_Conference/1930388

Interesting choice of words in opening statement - "We know exactly what to expect from them"

Coach BK does a good job of answering questions without giving away the farm. He certainly has the advantage of many knowledgeable people asking a variety of good clear questions....unlike the ones CPJ often gets. This was an impressive group of people asking relevant football questions using clear language...unlike many CPJ press conferences where we cannot hear the question or if we did it is somewhat non intelligible.

I got the impression that ND was studying up on how to generically defend the triple option and may not completely appreciate how sophisticated and fine tuned the CPJ spread option, with adjustments, is. I hope I am right. He mentioned the amount of points we score but did not mention how much time of possession we take away from his offense and how that should be a major concern. This should be a great game to answer a lot of questions for both teams..

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Does anyone follow ND closely enough to know if this is just his style? He seemed exceedingly complimentary of all phases of the GT game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
ND plays Navy so there is not doubt they have a plan on how to defend it. They also have learned some things by playing Navy. If we go back to the Navy game we will probably see the same defense on Saturday. They know what we will do, and we know how they will defend it. The difference will be that we have better players than Navy, and we aren't going to be easy to push around.