Brian Kelly Press Conference

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm willing to bet CPJ has watched the tape of them playing navy the past few years a few times... ;)
More than that, I would be he has been burning up the telephone with Ivan Jasper, the Navy OC, and that head coach whose name I cannot pronounce, and Roof has been asking the DC about the defenses he used and how ND responded. It is a small and close fraternity on the spread option, and apparently loyal to each other even at a distance. A couple or three years back the Army coach called Johnson to see if he would help him out against Navy and Johnson -- as I recall reading -- told him no. Against anybody else, yes. Not Navy. It's also a sure bet the talking is over and Johnson and his brain trust have their game plan together and it rests securely right there in Johnson's head. It's just getting time to tee it up and play, and I like our chances. ND might have more athletes, but Tech is as big, and quicker and faster than ND has seen. And as far as game coaches go, we win.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Every one knows what CPJ is bringing, but can they execute well enough to stop CPJ. Not only execute, but can they change as CPJ changes.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson and his brain trust

brain-trust-3.jpg

I know that @Wrecking Ball thought of this when he read that, because I sure did.

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan
O.K., that was actually kind of amazing.

Brian Kelly spent the first 4 minutes 39 seconds talking about how great Tech is, how great certain Tech players are and what a great job CPJ has done throughout his career. Frankly, that was the biggest love letter I have ever heard an opposing coach give to a CPJ team. The opposite of what he said would be the Frank Beamer approach or the David Cutcliffe approach, who both seem to want to demean the system. That is not the way Kelly played it at all. Still amazed.

BEWARE! The oldest trick in the book is to lull your opponents to sleep with praise and adulation then be ready to drop the hammer.

I know it's a different scenario but I've seen good defensive teams like Iowa and LSU shut us down (yes years ago different personnel) and we need to maintain focus and not worry about playoffs or how much respect we get or that we are favors in south bend

We need to stay hungry and play with a chip on our shoulder and not get caught up in reading all the praise that can anesthetize our ambition!

One game at a time is cliche but true

I don't think we will catch Notre Dame sleeping and will get their best shot. It's going to be an absolute battle and I think if we win the time of possession 35-25 or better, don't turn the ball over we get the win

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It sounded like the UVA game was good preparation for their D by teaching the consequences of poor eye discipline.

I suspect that they learned the problems they had formation-wise versus Navy last year.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
BEWARE! The oldest trick in the book is to lull your opponents to sleep with praise and adulation then be ready to drop the hammer.

I know it's a different scenario but I've seen good defensive teams like Iowa and LSU shut us down (yes years ago different personnel) and we need to maintain focus and not worry about playoffs or how much respect we get or that we are favors in south bend

We need to stay hungry and play with a chip on our shoulder and not get caught up in reading all the praise that can anesthetize our ambition!

I don't think we will catch Notre Dame sleeping and will get their best shot. It's going to be an absolute battle and I think if we win the time of possession 35-25 or better, don't turn the ball over we get the win
Yes I like getting respect and hype from an exposure and recruiting perspective. Your right though don't let people tell you how good you are, go out and show them. Having a good team we need to go into every game not just to win but to destroy our opponents. If we win a game by less than 14 then it needs to feel like a loss and make us hungry to make up for not dominating.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
ND plays Navy so there is not doubt they have a plan on how to defend it. They also have learned some things by playing Navy. If we go back to the Navy game we will probably see the same defense on Saturday. They know what we will do, and we know how they will defend it. The difference will be that we have better players than Navy, and we aren't going to be easy to push around.
What was the ND vs Navy s ore last year and year before?

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
"They've averaged 46.8 points over their last 10 games which includes wins over Clemson, Georgia and Mississippi State... We have got to score points."
---- Brian Kelly

p.s. (add Florida State to that list Brian!)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

No doubt.
He was doing what a good coach does. He apparently is smart enough to know what not to do.
I just mentioned it because I had a different impression of him from reading several of the comments on here. When I actually listened to him I did not hear the kind of crap I have heard in the past from opposing coaches like Beamer going on and on about our illegal blocking or how unfair our system is even though it isn't very good, or Cutcliffe who treats our system like we don't even belong in college, or a few other coaches we could name over the years.

My point was simply that regardless of this being the smart way to talk about an opponent, I felt Kelly was being very sincere when he said CPJ runs a good program and Tech is a tough opponent.

Refreshing for a change. Last time I heard anyone that effusive about Tech it was Bowden at FSU. Not bad company.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems he is complimentary of just about everyone. He started the press conference for UVa by calling them a "Well Coached football team". A lot of things come to mind when I think of UVa football and well coached is not one of them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
the journalist at around 16:00 looks like Eli Manning if he didn't pursue football and his life fell apart.

My first thought was that he looked like a thumb with a face painted on. Then I thought he was going to ask, "Why me, John BigBooty?"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It sounded like the UVA game was good preparation for their D by teaching the consequences of poor eye discipline.

I suspect that they learned the problems they had formation-wise versus Navy last year.
And the Virginia offense is like the GT offense how? I am not belittling ND, or taking them lightly. But geez, we are ascribing Superman qualities to them, that by playing Virginia and then Navy in the past, they know what to do, that if they use their eyes, play assignment football, then things are fine.. Navy plays Notre Dame every year, and every year runs the ball on them. Last year, the 12th or 13th time they had played the spread option, Notre Dame, familiar with the offense, gave up 330 yards rushing. It is called an option for a reason. If we get the blocks and if Thomas makes the right read, we are going to score and ND can keep their eyes working until they turn purple. Sorry, but I am just a bit weary with this tiptoeing around the ND "mystique". If I remember, Virginia lost on a last minute play. Virginia. Mike London's Virginia. ND is good. GT is good. We should respect them. They should respect us. Tee it up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Every one knows what CPJ is bringing, but can they execute well enough to stop CPJ. Not only execute, but can they change as CPJ changes.
This is why I find the choice of words interesting. CPJ changes on the fly and other coaches do not. That means other teams do not know exactly what to expect.

I'm all for suggesting we just impose our will many times in many games. It seems though that the "chess match" is an intellectual battle of predicting what will happen next. Since others did not take Kelly's statement this way, seems I am in the minority of how it was meant to be interpreted.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is why I find the choice of words interesting. CPJ changes on the fly and other coaches do not. That means other teams do not know exactly what to expect.

I'm all for suggesting we just impose our will many times in many games. It seems though that the "chess match" is an intellectual battle of predicting what will happen next. Since others did not take Kelly's statement this way, seems I am in the minority of how it was meant to be interpreted.

Fwiw, I think coaches have to hype their knowledge of what we're doing to help their players with confidence. They only have a chance if guys do their own job and trust their teammates to do their jobs. The players are more likely to do this if they trust the coaches that it will work.

Now, fwiw, Kelly also said that he has to have adjustments prepared for his team as well. So, they've also got to find the balance between preparing enough and trying to do too much.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought their press conference was outstanding and far better than ours. So what? I would rather have good results on the field. Coach Kelly did a great job and was as respectful of our program as possible. I think he respects what we have going on as much as we do. His job is to try and go out and beat it. Not an easy task and not one that was presented as easy either. Where are all the good reporters in ATL? Where can we get some like theirs?