Brenton King

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes. He was taking all the #1 practice kicks so I assumed he was going to play. Looked very good as far as distance, it was hard to tell whether or not either kicker was making the kicks from my angle.

After the half time, only Davis and Barton were taking practice kicks. King was pitching the ball to Harvin while he was practiving punts.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a good bit wind behind him on some of those kicks

Just like in golf, a head wind hurts you a lot more than a tail wind helps you. I think he can kick it in the endzone he just has to hit it in the sweet spot. He obviously was much more comfortable and relaxed this last game.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
After he(Davis) missed the XP off the upright, he came right back and boomed a KO off the other upright. That's the tough attitude I want to see. He wanted to kick the crap out of the KO.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Was King out there pregame like I thought? He and Barton both have jerseys ending in 7, so maybe I was looking at Barton.

Barton is 87, King is 37. I made that mistake after the half and had to look at the roster. I thought he Barton was King, but someone told me that the name on the jersey was longer than four letters.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Can Harvin not do the kickoffs? The guy is 245lbs and has a cannon for a leg. It's not that weird for a punter to do kickoffs. He's gotta have the leg to push it out of the back of the end zone like Harrison could.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Can Harvin not do the kickoffs? The guy is 245lbs and has a cannon for a leg. It's not that weird for a punter to do kickoffs. He's gotta have the leg to push it out of the back of the end zone like Harrison could.
That would be interesting.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
This, I asked the same thing in the chat or another thread. Harvin definitely has the leg. Plus, there's no moving parts with the kickoff, no timing, so it shouldn't be hard to practice.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We made 2 FG attempts under 40 yards, missed an extra point and a kickoff went out of bounds. We kicked the ball a few yards into the south end zone with the aid of wind that probably pushed the ball an extra 10 yards. I'm thinking we improved from an F to a D+/C-. We have a lot of work left to do.

As has been mentioned, King warmed up before the game. I did not see him warm up at halftime. My hope is that King is actually hurt, versus what I hear CPJ saying as there being an actual kicking competition. Unless that competition has not included all eventual participants i.e., King.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We made 2 FG attempts under 40 yards, missed an extra point and a kickoff went out of bounds. We kicked the ball a few yards into the south end zone with the aid of wind that probably pushed the ball an extra 10 yards. I'm thinking we improved from an F to a D+/C-. We have a lot of work left to do.

As has been mentioned, King warmed up before the game. I did not see him warm up at halftime. My hope is that King is actually hurt, versus what I hear CPJ saying as there being an actual kicking competition. Unless that competition has not included all eventual participants i.e., King.
C'mon 'Cuse, D+? Glad you weren't my prof. If you get the touchback, whether wind aided or not, that is the best you can do for that kick. If you kick it 3 rows deep into the stands it still comes out to the same yard line. The kick out of bounds and the missed extra point blemishes lower the grade from an A, for sure. I'm going with C+, B-. There is a heck of a lot more that could have gone wrong out there than actually did.

I am far from convinced he is our kicker for the future, but the game stats are what they are. He had a max potential of 11 points to produce out there and scored 10/11. Just because 3 got pulled off the board after the roughing call(a decision I would not have made at the time), he still made the kick. What was their average starting position after KOs?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
C'mon 'Cuse, D+? Glad you weren't my prof. If you get the touchback, whether wind aided or not, that is the best you can do for that kick. If you kick it 3 rows deep into the stands it still comes out to the same yard line. The kick out of bounds and the missed extra point blemishes lower the grade from an A, for sure. I'm going with C+, B-. There is a heck of a lot more that could have gone wrong out there than actually did.

I am far from convinced he is our kicker for the future, but the game stats are what they are. He had a max potential of 11 points to produce out there and scored 10/11. Just because 3 got pulled off the board after the roughing call(a decision I would not have made have made at the time), he still made the kick. What was their average starting position after KOs?
Didn't we almost turn it over after that?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding the player doing the kicking (#88), CPJ said he all makes the kicks in practice. So, I'm just hoping it's just nerves and that he'll get calmer each game. It sounds like the other kicker could be a while yet healing up.

I am concerned about the hangtime of lack thereof. There was one KO that went to the 5 yard line, but there wasn't a defender within 15 yards when the returner caught the ball. If it were possible, I'd rather see him kick high hangtime kicks to 20 yd or 25 yd line instead of trying to kick it long with minimal hang time. I don't think he has the leg to do touchbacks since his KO's after 15 yd penalties only go to the back of the end zone.