Brenton King

slugboy

Staff member
I wish he had kicked out of bounds every kick vs. Tennessee... Would have helped our average starting field position a great deal.

They have the option to back us up 5 and force a rekick. Taking the 35 only makes sense if it's the better option. I would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our kickoff after we went up 10-7 was kicked out of bounds.

Whether the wind aided it 5 or 10 yards, we certainly weren't hitting the back half of the end zone. Much like the kickoff toward the north end zone that hung in the air that Jax St. fumbled at their own 10.

Thanks for that last comment. I hope others understand that's where I'm coming from. I am absolutely a Davis fan. I'm a fan of everyone on the team. Much like I was a huge Bay Bay fan, and he had his wtf moments too.

None of this is meant to disparage the kid or his character. Nor am I criticizing him for doing his best. If he's what we got, then let's roll with it. It took a ton of guts to hit that first FG Saturday, after what I'm sure was a difficult few days prior.

The point I'm making is everyone can see the result of the plays. For all I know the results could be on the holder or the coaches. For example re: directional kickoffs... if that's what the coaches asked him to do, then I would instead question the decision of the coaches to attempt that, based on kickoff results to that point in the season. Of course they've seen more in practice.

I'd also be interested in the P5 stats you mentioned from that FG distance. Those might help me form a new opinion. Even if I take the success rate at 75%, my point stands that a minimum threshold for a B grade includes making extra points and not kicking kickoffs out of bounds. It's a completely objective grading system for sure ;)
You want to know what stuck out to me after that first kick, I'll tell ya. It was all pats on helmet he got on the field and on the sideline. I'm so glad his mates have his back more the the "fans" do.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is a big case of nerves. During the Tenn game, Herbie said he was making them from 52. CPJ has said he's been good in practice. It seems like a lot of weight came off his shoulders after the first FG, and then some came back on after the missed XP. I believe in Shawn, and I hope he'll redeem himself this year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of who it is, we have a first-year kicker who has D1 talent but not superstar potential (at least this year) and will need to go through their growing pains to develop into a consistent player for us. There is no way around that, and every team goes through it every 4 years or so. Very few have enough talent and luck to have it not cost them at least a game. Although, the Tennessee game was plenty winnable without the kicking game, we would have had drastically different results with Butker for instance. We were spoiled and forgot the goods we had.

As CPJ said, though, FG capability is there, but we are not accustomed to covering kicks, and our relative recruiting differential puts us at a major disadvantage here. The big boys beat us out in depth and talent in special teams. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to throw in any starter to kickoff coverage except Taquon Marshall (if they would be helpful).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Special teams is at least 1/3 of the equation in being a good football team.

Offense for GT has been excellent. Defense has been inconsistent but has its moments. Special teams remains to be seen. If it is as bad as it was against UT, we're in deep trouble. If it's a good as it was against Jax State, we're in pretty good shape.

Here's hoping we're as good as we showed against Jax State.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Quick stats between Davis and Butker:

Butker 2013 (first year)
  • 30 touchbacks out of 73 kickoffs (41%)
  • Average 62.9 yard kickoff
  • 10/14 field goals
  • 53/54 PAT
Butker 2016 (last year)
  • 54 touchbacks out of 73 kickoffs (74%)
  • Average 63.2 yard kickoff
  • 15/17 field goals
  • 46/46 PAT
Davis 2017 (so far)
  • 5 touchbacks out of 12 kickoffs (42%)
  • Average 57.6 yard kickoff
  • 1/3 field goals
  • 9/10 PAT
http://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/harrison-butker-butke0001
http://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/shawn-davis-davis0536

Still early in the season and we saw that he has the potential. If he continues how he performed against Jax State, I'm not too worried.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Butker 2013 (first year)
  • 10/14 field goals
  • 53/54 PAT
Butker 2016 (last year)
  • 15/17 field goals
  • 46/46 PAT
Davis 2017 (so far)
  • 1/3 field goals
  • 9/10 PAT

Still early in the season and we saw that he has the potential. If he continues how he performed against Jax State, I'm not too worried.
Don't bring facts that support "the wrong" narrative!! :D

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Butker 2013 (first year)
  • 10/14 field goals
  • 53/54 PAT
Butker 2016 (last year)
  • 15/17 field goals
  • 46/46 PAT
Davis 2017 (so far)
  • 1/3 field goals
  • 9/10 PAT

Butker 2013= 1st year
Davis 2017= 3rd year

I'm not counting Davis out but being in a college weight room program is huge. Davis has been in one for 3 years now. I hope he can get the job done though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Were fans boo'ing him after the first kick?

In the Jax game, I thought I heard a lot of sarcastic EP cheers. I know in our game watching that others were not kind to him and sarcastically cheered.

Look, the kid is doing his best. And a hell of a lot better than I ever could. But so far, his FGs are slow and low and some knuckleballs.

What isn't captured in the KO numbers on yards is how low they are; so they are more returnable.

Time will tell. I very much doubt he will develop into a Butker (all time leader in GT scoring) given his strength and accuracy at present. But I'm glad we have him since he is better than King in CPJ's judgement for whatever reason.

Not having Butker has already lost us one game; hopefully it will end there but I doubt it. CPJ is one of the few coaches to have been giving scholarships to kickers and punters; I agree entirely with that as he recognizes the importance of the position. But it ain't worth two scholarships if one doesn't pan out. That's where we are.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Give it time folks- I was at ND a couple of years ago, how many 50+fg have we seen since then? I like your analogy Plangineer- Wasn't it the left or was it the right hash that we missed constantly, the left hash kick last week was awesome!! This year we only have one constant from the last 2 years, not only do we not have our all time scoring leader, we lost a holder!
You just don't walk into a D1 game and catch a snap.
It's not a high school snap! A lot is going on during this process, unfortunately how many coaches do you really think can "coach" a snap, a hold, a kick.
Other then putting a stopwatch on it they really cannot (usually) coach a technique. Give it time!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Shawn Davis had a fine game yesterday. Converted all 5 extra points, as should be expected.

While he did not have a single touchback on 6 attempts, one of which was intentionally kicked short, he was fairly consistent at reaching the goal line on the others. That distance seems to be his ceiling without the aid of wind at this point. Overall Shawn played well yesterday.

Kickoff coverage (not punt coverage) was solid also and contained a really good returner.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought Shawn Davis had a fine game yesterday. Converted all 5 extra points, as should be expected.

While he did not have a single touchback on 6 attempts, one of which was intentionally kicked short, he was fairly consistent at reaching the goal line on the others. That distance seems to be his ceiling without the aid of wind at this point. Overall Shawn played well yesterday.

Kickoff coverage (not punt coverage) was solid also and contained a really good returner.
The pooch kick was executed and covered to perfection. I think Pitt started at or near the 20. Same as a touchback.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Are there any Division 1 schools that rely on non scholarship kickers? I know there are instances that walk ons beat out the competition, but are there really schools that would not get the best kickers available? If so, which schools?

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Are there any Division 1 schools that rely on non scholarship kickers? I know there are instances that walk ons beat out the competition, but are there really schools that would not get the best kickers available? If so, which schools?

The Dwags just did put theirs on scholarship and he was their number one guy last year and is killing it this year

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I agree. Davis is doing better. His EPs were fast and high. He doesn't have the leg to long KOs, ...... it is as it is.