Brent Key tweet and apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
They'll be there for the season. 100%
Oh I'm sure something like that will, I know they just did this quickly to get something here for spring and there will likely be more added by the time the season rolls around. Patch, something painted on the field, players earning the right to wear #90 each week in honor, and they may change the helmet sticker design for the season. I liked the idea someone else had of bringing back the black GT on the helmet to honor him.

splinterGT9

Georgia Tech Fan
It disturbs me that someone would even have those two wires remotely connected to even allow for the thought to transpire... he deserves all the criticism coming his way... and frankly as the face of GT recruiting, so does it.

His tweet popped up in my timeline and I only thought it was a bit odd due to the second half, because I didn't know what he was referring to and that it was about recruiting. Since I learned it was about a commitment, I feel like every time I think of it it looks worse and worse, and you've pretty much summed up my feelings on it. I'm not saying Key is a bad guy or should be fired over it, but if people want to keep raking him over the coals for a while longer I have no problem with them doing so.

I get what you are saying, however I don’t believe you are interpreting it the same way he was trying to make it come across. Therefore those “wires” being connected might not be a completely accurate statement. Imo, I took him as trying to acknowledge a new commit because the kid did commit, but wanted to make sure Adams was mentioned because of the situation. Essentially, he didn’t want it to be all about the commit. I think it would have been better for him to just say something along the lines about congrats to the new commit and leave it at that. He could have wrote something separate about Adams if he was wanting to mention that we had a new commit. The fact that Hansen is sticking up for Key tells me a lot.

Just don't say anything about the commitment or anything about recruiting in general. It's not the time for that at all, and can wait a couple of days. And if you feel like it can't (and heavy disclaimer here, I have absolutely no reason to think that what I'm about to say applies to the kid who committed), and that a prospect would back out of a commitment because the coaches refrained from publicly commenting about it because one of their players died the same day, I'm okay with that fictional prospect not being here.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, it's time to let Coach Key get back up off the deck.

We all screw up and say things badly sometimes. I did so in a major way during a meeting a couple of weeks ago, and my colleagues and supervisors let me up off the deck because I knew I'd screwed up, showed genuine contrition, and apologized. I was stunned and delighted by my colleaguges's forgiveness. It calls upon me to be a better person.

Yeah, the tweet was a bad look. But I'd bet Coach Key understands the mistake, so it's time to forgive and move on.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
His tweet popped up in my timeline and I only thought it was a bit odd due to the second half, because I didn't know what he was referring to and that it was about recruiting. Since I learned it was about a commitment, I feel like every time I think of it it looks worse and worse, and you've pretty much summed up my feelings on it. I'm not saying Key is a bad guy or should be fired over it, but if people want to keep raking him over the coals for a while longer I have no problem with them doing so.

Just don't say anything about the commitment or anything about recruiting in general. It's not the time for that at all, and can wait a couple of days. And if you feel like it can't (and heavy disclaimer here, I have absolutely no reason to think that what I'm about to say applies to the kid who committed), and that a prospect would back out of a commitment because the coaches refrained from publicly commenting about it because one of their players died the same day, I'm okay with that fictional prospect not being here.
I get it, but once again, I think people are taking it in a way that it’s not meant to be taken. I honestly think his intentions were good but the way he did it came across wrong. If his intentions were honestly good and he was trying to honor Adams then I have no complaint.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get it, but once again, I think people are taking it in a way that it’s not meant to be taken. I honestly think his intentions were good but the way he did it came across wrong. If his intentions were honestly good and he was trying to honor Adams then I have no complaint.

I can see both sides of this but in any case like CrackerJacket said, it's time to forgive and move on.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Just drop it guys. uga isn't trolling us, we are trolling ourselves. And even if they are trolling us, WHO CARES??? They need to worry about keeping their guys from being arrested. Just let it go.
Yeah - see, I do care. Because this behavior reveals exactly what I suspected - all of their messaging was just to make themselves feel better as opposed to sincerely apologizing for a terrible thing. If it’s all about being classy and sympathetic during a difficult time, then they shouldn’t be saying anything. But it didn’t take long for the true colors and motives to reveal themselves.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah - see, I do care. Because this behavior reveals exactly what I suspected - all of their messaging was just to make themselves feel better as opposed to sincerely apologizing for a terrible thing. If it’s all about being classy and sympathetic during a difficult time, then they shouldn’t be saying anything. But it didn’t take long for the true colors and motives to reveal themselves.

Relax, friend. There are a ton of uga fans out there. There are going to be a ton that are genuinely supportive Through this rough time and some who are gonna be *******s. Our fan base might do the same thing. We all have our bad eggs

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
It is not like he is a rookie coach. He is a veteran coach that made a rookie mistake. This is why he will never be a head coach. Too caught in the moment. Hopefully he got a major *** chewing. Another mistake like that and it is time to show him the door.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Relax, friend. There are a ton of uga fans out there. There are going to be a ton that are genuinely supportive Through this rough time and some who are gonna be *******s. Our fan base might do the same thing. We all have our bad eggs
Bad eggs - yes, bad eggs. Have you ever been to Athens?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Give credit to the ones who showed class and don’t lump them in with those taking shots. Shots Key earned imo whether he regrets it now or not.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Give credit to the ones who showed class and don’t lump them in with those taking shots. Shots Key earned imo whether he regrets it now or not.
Yeah - I didn’t see a single uga fan on twitter calling out their bros for being total sh*t heads. What I saw instead was a bunch of Likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.