Brent Key tweet and apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It will blow up on social media. As long as the players and family feel it’s sincere it should fade quickly.

This should be about Brandon and Brandon only at this time.

It will blow up because bored people (read:lots of uga fans) will play judge and jury online like usually happens.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
It will blow up because bored people (read:lots of uga fans) will play judge and jury online like usually happens.

I mean, let’s not kid ourselves. If UGA had a player pass away and a coach tweet this, we would be going in circles about how low class they are.

I’m not saying Brent Key is low class, but I’m also not going to act like it’s a huge crime this has blown up on college football twitter. It’s a bad tweet and while I personally believe he meant well, it’s understandable why people not close to the program who don’t know Key would question this.

This isn’t about UGA and GT. Several Tech people voiced their concern about the tweet before Key took it down and apologized.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It disturbs me that someone would even have those two wires remotely connected to even allow for the thought to transpire... he deserves all the criticism coming his way... and frankly as the face of GT recruiting, so does it.

That's the word for it, disturbing. It's good that he apologized.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It disturbs me that someone would even have those two wires remotely connected to even allow for the thought to transpire... he deserves all the criticism coming his way... and frankly as the face of GT recruiting, so does it.
I get what you are saying, however I don’t believe you are interpreting it the same way he was trying to make it come across. Therefore those “wires” being connected might not be a completely accurate statement. Imo, I took him as trying to acknowledge a new commit because the kid did commit, but wanted to make sure Adams was mentioned because of the situation. Essentially, he didn’t want it to be all about the commit. I think it would have been better for him to just say something along the lines about congrats to the new commit and leave it at that. He could have wrote something separate about Adams if he was wanting to mention that we had a new commit. The fact that Hansen is sticking up for Key tells me a lot.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
It should’ve been worded differently but, those two things are connected. Your talking about the GT football family. Losing someone from that family and adding someone are connected. CBK is part of that family. He’s not talking about recruiting. He’s talking about losing a family member and adding a family member. He wasn’t trying to diminish the loss of Big B, he was trying to show what makes the GT family so special. That losing a great man sucks so much because great men decided to join the family in the first place. Big B, of all people, wouldn’t want a new committed family member ignored by coaches and fans because of his death. He’d want him welcomed with open arms and a smile. Big B style.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying, however I don’t believe you are interpreting it the same way he was trying to make it come across. Therefore those “wires” being connected might not be a completely accurate statement. Imo, I took him as trying to acknowledge a new commit because the kid did commit, but wanted to make sure Adams was mentioned because of the situation. Essentially, he didn’t want it to be all about the commit. I think it would have been better for him to just say something along the lines about congrats to the new commit and leave it at that. He could have wrote something separate about Adams if he was wanting to mention that we had a new commit. The fact that Hansen is sticking up for Key tells me a lot.

Well that makes some sense. What could seem a disturbing pattern of thought may be more a case of extreme clumsiness. We all make mistakes.

Life is short, very short. None of us knows the day and the hour that it will end.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't think it does anyone any good to keep the tweet story going, personally.

After a point that's certainly true, but to an extent it's good to talk about it because we can share different perspectives and come to a deeper understanding about it.
I understand that may be more helpful to some (like me) than others.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Confirmed helmet stickers per CGC news conference also will keep his seat in the team meeting room empty for perpetually. Other honors TBA.
Those are for spring practices if I understood him correctly. Still working with the team on a way to honor him during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.