Brent Key; Hiring Details....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He negatively recruited against us, big deal. We have all negatively recruited against ourselves over the years.

I’m a sidewalk fan and have been one since I started watching football in the 8th grade. After reading this board over the years some of you guys make it out like you have to be a borderline genius with absolutely no social life to get a degree from Tech.

I’m sure every opposing coach uses our prestigious academics against us in a recruiting battle but it’s up to the recruits if they value them or not. It’s also up to our coaches to use that as a selling point and excite them about getting a valuable education.

If he wasn’t a Tech alum it honestly wouldn’t bother me nearly as much. But he was / is. His problem going forward is that the message we are trying to sell kids on, is what he apparently pooped all over when recruiting against us. Not so easy to square those things moving forward.

At least a non alum could say “Golly gee I really didn’t know what I was talking about back then. But now I know.....”.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
If he wasn’t a Tech alum it honestly wouldn’t bother me nearly as much. But he was / is. His problem going forward is that the message we are trying to sell kids on, is what he apparently pooped all over when recruiting against us. Not so easy to square those things moving forward.

At least a non alum could say “Golly gee I really didn’t know what I was talking about back then. But now I know.....”.
We have a great AD a great HC and a wonderful new staff. We might not deserve these new breaks but we got them. So let’s go enjoy and support them. Go Jackets.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not trying to take sides here, but you DID start it by referring to posters as mom and dad

That was an attempt at humor to point out how they were trying to direct my “behavior” or “messaging” on a board. Trying to tell a another grown person how they should conduct themselves strikes me as funny and a bit ridiculous. I was alluding to that by calling them mom and dad and don’t really see how that could be taken as offensive name calling.

A little different imo than calling another poster a child. Now to be honest, I found that reply to be pretty funny also....but it was ironically not a very mature response from someone calling another a child. So I pointed that out also.

Tit for tat and I’m good with that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why don't we wait until they provide evidence of their "greatness" by results on the field. :rolleyes:
Because it's they make a variety of ice cream. Some are overly optimistic for the new regime.. They are smiling and out spreading the good word .

They post = coach great - when they mean " sure looks coach doing great job now".

The evidence will never be enough for some. That ice cream flavor is fine too.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Whiskey, I asked this question earlier in this thread and no one answered. Since you seem to be the most knowledgeable/concerned about the negative recruiting; what actually was reported he said, to whom and when? All I've ever seen, and only on this board, is nebulous rumors that when he was at UCF he 'negative recruited' us with an unnamed player who was between Tech and UCF ~ten years ago. But what he's purported to have said is all speculation.

Was this reported/documented anywhere else at the time? Is it out there in a report/story online? Or is this solely a narrative that developed on this board after we got butt-hurt we missed out on a recruit? Outside hearsay on this board, I can't find any sources reported/referring to anything like this. If it did and there's documentation for our competition to point to, I'd be concerned as you are and I'd think he needed to address it. But I haven't seen it. However, I'd be interested to see it, if you can point me in the right direction.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have changed my mind.

Coach Key, actually all of CGCs hires, need to answer for any negative recruiting they have done against us. No wait, they need to now answer TO US, for any sin in their life.

If we find they have recruited to the benefit of their previous employer, we need to fire them immediately!

Now we are a fair minded and intelligent group so this will have to be done retroactively as well.

Frank Broyles “negative recruited” against GT & Dodd when he became HC at Ark. In the 70s he threatened to turn us into the NCAA. Invalidate his degree, revoke his varsity letters and if possible sue his estate.

Pepper Rodgers “negative recruited” against GT & Dodd when he became an assistant for Ray Graves ( another turncoat) at Fla. Read his book. Again, invalidate his degree, revoke his varsity letters, take his name out of any record books, give back the Orange Bowl trophy ( I believe it was) where he made the game winning kick, and since he is still alive - sue him.

And anyone thinking that, while at Ga Southern, the cabal of Johnson / Sewak (or CPJ at Navy) didn’t try to recruit some kids being recruited to GT is probably out of touch with reality. And I promise they were not heaping praise on us.
They must be made to pay.

In a glorious fashion - let us cut off our nose, no our entire head, to spite our face.

That will help.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I have changed my mind.

Coach Key, actually all of CGCs hires, need to answer for any negative recruiting they have done against us. No wait, they need to now answer TO US, for any sin in their life.

If we find they have recruited to the benefit of their previous employer, we need to fire them immediately!

Now we are a fair minded and intelligent group so this will have to be done retroactively as well.

Frank Broyles “negative recruited” against GT & Dodd when he became HC at Ark. In the 70s he threatened to turn us into the NCAA. Invalidate his degree, revoke his varsity letters and if possible sue his estate.

Pepper Rodgers “negative recruited” against GT & Dodd when he became an assistant for Ray Graves ( another turncoat) at Fla. Read his book. Again, invalidate his degree, revoke his varsity letters, take his name out of any record books, give back the Orange Bowl trophy ( I believe it was) where he made the game winning kick, and since he is still alive - sue him.

And anyone thinking that, while at Ga Southern, the cabal of Johnson / Sewak (or CPJ at Navy) didn’t try to recruit some kids being recruited to GT is probably out of touch with reality. And I promise they were not heaping praise on us.

In a glorious fashion - let us cut off our nose, no our entire head, to spite our face.

That will help.
Haha

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Whiskey, I asked this question earlier in this thread and no one answered. Since you seem to be the most knowledgeable/concerned about the negative recruiting; what actually was reported he said, to whom and when? All I've ever seen, and only on this board, is nebulous rumors that when he was at UCF he 'negative recruited' us with an unnamed player who was between Tech and UCF ~ten years ago. But what he's purported to have said is all speculation.

Was this reported/documented anywhere else at the time? Is it out there in a report/story online? Or is this solely a narrative that developed on this board after we got butt-hurt we missed out on a recruit? Outside hearsay on this board, I can't find any sources reported/referring to anything like this. If it did and there's documentation for our competition to point to, I'd be concerned as you are and I'd think he needed to address it. But I haven't seen it. However, I'd be interested to see it, if you can point me in the right direction.

It goes way back and was discussed fairly widely here, and perhaps on some other boards as well. But yes it was years ago now. I don’t now recall precisely where it originated at the time. Maybe from a rivals type cite maybe from a recruits post or twitter, I honestly don’t recall.

At the time there was little argument that it happened. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way at the time and some, including myself, felt it should exclude Key from working at Tech in the future.

I haven’t tried to find the smoking gun and I honestly don’t know how difficult, or even possible, it would be to find now.

The rumor was that he dissed Tech as an institution and it’s academics and made statements that going to Tech was a bad idea for him in hindsight.

I’m not asserting this definitely happened though I suspect it did. Thus I think it would be beneficial for him to address it one way or another.

I have changed my mind.

That will help.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: