Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is almost embarassing how many former HC's are on saban's staff as either analysts or on-field coaches. He knows that as soon as a guy leaves he can just pick and choose the next guy. Heck, he could've even promoted the HC of the Champions of Life to OC.

Looking at the sidelines and the booths for coaches is really amazing. Seems that there are more coaches / advisers / assistants than players.

Clemson is that way too. One of the things Dabo picked up from Saban? And now we have CGC....... all it takes is money.

Animal02

Banned
Looking at the sidelines and the booths for coaches is really amazing. Seems that there are more coaches / advisers / assistants than players.

Clemson is that way too. One of the things Dabo picked up from Saban? And now we have CGC....... all it takes is money.
There is a limit if 60 non players allowed in the team area per the NCAA, but that is the only restriction I could find.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

We can not realistically match Bama, Clem, or even uga. We absolutely have to close the gap if we want to compete. Otherwise CGC might as well start looking for his next dream job.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that will stop schools like Bama is to derail the money train from ESPN. They are paying them 4.5 million a year for to play their opener in ATL, meanwhile their opponent gets half that. They could not sustain the spending without the revenue stream. Eventually the NCAA will have to step in and do something to create more parity or the loss of interest in college sports will collapse in on itself.

I hope you are right about the NCAA stepping in to create more parity, Animal. It just seems over the last few years that Bammer, AllBarn, etc. have the real power, not the NCAA.

For example, during all of the discussion about going to an 8 team playoff, the statement, "the SEC is not going to let them take away their championship game - too much $$" kept coming up.

I think we might already be over the edge when it comes to the "power" and lack of parity.

sa(t)an doesn't just recruit mainly 5 and 4 star guys - he pretty much sorts out the ones he wants from a larger pool of these guys. It is already beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Probably not too many people attending, with a chance to talk to him and ask if he interviewed Key or how the status of the OL coach is going or turned out.....

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right about the NCAA stepping in to create more parity, Animal. It just seems over the last few years that Bammer, AllBarn, etc. have the real power, not the NCAA.

For example, during all of the discussion about going to an 8 team playoff, the statement, "the SEC is not going to let them take away their championship game - too much $$" kept coming up.

I think we might already be over the edge when it comes to the "power" and lack of parity.

sa(t)an doesn't just recruit mainly 5 and 4 star guys - he pretty much sorts out the ones he wants from a larger pool of these guys. It is already beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.

I think Animal is right, the main culprit on $$$ is ESPN and they currently are in control of college football.
Someone needs to step in and put a stop to it or it'll all come tumbling down by itself ... who is going to be interested in watching Alabama vs Clemson V, VI, VII, etc, I'm not sure I'm that interested in watching tonight's game.
Putting a Cap on spending would be a start to cleaning up the huge gap between the Haves/Have Nots ...

grb916

Georgia Tech Fan
I just saw this ...

Tickets to the College Football Playoff national championship battle between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Clemson Tigers remained historically cheap on Monday with just hours to go until kickoff – and thousands of seats were still available.

Two teams from 2000+ mi away battling it out in a re- re- re-match at a sub-par NFL stadium where the local kickoff time is smack dab in the middle of rush hour. I'm shocked, I tell ya.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins hasn’t named his OL coach yet.

This is all I need to know.
Agreed. If it’s not Brent Key, who is it? And why hasn’t it been announced yet? The only other explanation is that it’s someone in one of the 8 remaining NFL staffs that are left in the playoffs. Or someone on Clemson’s staff. Even with the denial, Brent Key still makes more sense than the other possibilities.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've written here before about Moneyball. One of the distinctions of the As, one that has continued after Billy Bean moved up, is that they have continued to win with a payroll about 1/2 the size of the Yankees. The way they do that is to exploit the weaknesses in the market for baseball players. Baseball has been trying to do some kind of equalization program for awhile now, but with about as much success as is found in the NCAA for football. There is simply too much riding on the money spent and the teams that spend it for something like a real luxury tax to work. (The NBA only did it for survival purposes anyhow.)

When Paul was our coach we played Moneyball. We had limited resources and we went after players that most programs didn't want and that fit what the O was doing. And it worked; Tech consistently out performed its recruiting ratings and, just as consistently, finished first or second in our division and won the ACC twice. Now we are trying to play the other kind of Moneyball; spending the money to get our recruiting and (maybe) coaching up by more infrastructure. The jury is out on how well that will work; it's largely up to the Tech "community", such as it is.

But the bottom line here is pretty straightforward. We still have to find ways to play Moneyball. It is highly unlikely that the present high dollar programs will be curbed. It will be equally difficult for Tech to raise the money needed to compete with them, though time will tell on this since we don't really need to match up dollar for dollar to do just fine. When Tech football has succeeded in the past it has been either because of innovative schemes (the razzle-dazzle wing-t, the spread option) or really good coaching (Ross/O'Leary/Fridgen) or both (Dodd and Paul). I'm hoping that Coach is planning to do something along those lines (better coaching, I guess) combined with a much more comprehensive recruiting infrastructure. If so, we will prosper. If any part of the equation is left on the sidelines, I don't doubt that many here will be disappointed.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think Animal is right, the main culprit on $$$ is ESPN and they currently are in control of college football.
Someone needs to step in and put a stop to it or it'll all come tumbling down by itself ... who is going to be interested in watching Alabama vs Clemson V, VI, VII, etc, I'm not sure I'm that interested in watching tonight's game.
Putting a Cap on spending would be a start to cleaning up the huge gap between the Haves/Have Nots ...
They will punish Alabama by putting us on probation.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I just saw this ...

Tickets to the College Football Playoff national championship battle between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Clemson Tigers remained historically cheap on Monday with just hours to go until kickoff – and thousands of seats were still available.

I hope Tech fans can one day have as poor a showing as that. Was a good crowd even if not capacity.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, people need to stop complaining about the NCAA when it comes to college football. The NCAA has very little say in college football - at least at the FBS level. That is controlled basically by the P5 leagues and ESPN. NCAA gets exactly $0 from college football. The decisions are largely made by the commissioners of the P5 conferences.

The NCAA basically exists at the the FBS level to just give a little cover appearance that someone is watching the hen house, when in reality it is basically being guarded by the foxes and has been for some time. If the majority of the P5 conferences don't think something is in their best interest then it is unlikely to happen.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, people need to stop complaining about the NCAA when it comes to college football. The NCAA has very little say in college football - at least at the FBS level. That is controlled basically by the P5 leagues and ESPN. NCAA gets exactly $0 from college football. The decisions are largely made by the commissioners of the P5 conferences.

The NCAA basically exists at the the FBS level to just give a little cover appearance that someone is watching the hen house, when in reality it is basically being guarded by the foxes and has been for some time. If the majority of the P5 conferences don't think something is in their best interest then it is unlikely to happen.
Not sure why you decided to type this as if you knew something that we all didn’t..... nevertheless the ncaa has A LOT of oversight over ALL aspects of ncaa sports. The ncaa limits scholarships, apr, athletic benefits etc. additionally they can take away conference championships for t shirt handouts. I don’t know how much money they make from p5 teams. I doubt they make exactly “zero dollars”. But they definitely don’t have “very little say”

Status
Not open for further replies.