Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Let's parse the denial:

“That’s obviously where I went to college and where I played ball but, man, I don’t know where those came from — where the rumors came from but I’m here at Alabama,” Key said, per AL.com’s Michael Casagrande. “I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech. It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.”
Key also denied interviewing with Georgia Tech and new head coach Geoff Collins.

“Nope,” he said. “I don’t know where it came from.”

Key expressed surprise when he heard the reports linking to his alma mater.

“Yeah,” he said. “Nobody has called me.”

I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech.

True. He's still coaching at 'Bama. He probably hasn't signed paperwork to accept our offer. In that sense, he's not lying to anyone.

It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.
Well duh, RIGHT NOW you're coaching in the national championship game at the premier football program. You're doing your job RIGHT NOW, and not at GT...yet.

Key also denied interviewing with Georgia Tech and new head coach Geoff Collins.
Most likely 100% true...because CGC knows Key well enough, and Key knows CGC and GT well enough that it's not like an interview is needed.

“Yeah,” he said. “Nobody has called me.”
Most likely 100% true as well...doesn't mean no one has called his agent. Doesn't mean his agent hasn't passed on all the relevant information and Key hasn't made a decision. That's what agents are for...plausible deniability.

as i mentioned i thought that if he left bama the ol could TANK during the championship game so... does this fit the timeline? did he deny this before the game or after?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
as i mentioned i thought that if he left bama the ol could TANK during the championship game so... does this fit the timeline? did he deny this before the game or after?
No idea what Key May do but personally thought Alabama threw the ball way to much. The OL has Clemson on the ropes several time but instead of continuing to pound them the kept letting Tua screw up.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

High praise, indeed, from Willie Anderson about Coach Paul Johnson’s offensive linemen being fully capable of adapting well to CGC’s zone-blocking strategies.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
No idea what Key May do but personally thought Alabama threw the ball way to much. The OL has Clemson on the ropes several time but instead of continuing to pound them the kept letting Tua screw up.
Said the same to my dad. They were road grading them to start the second half, then tua throws that interception. It’s like locksley couldn’t go too many plays without taking a shot downfield.
Clemson beat them bad, but they were moving the ball well between the 20s all night. Credit to Clemson for bowing their back, but when you get stopped 3 times in the red zone for no points, and kick a field goal after a first and goal from the half yard line, you deserve to lose.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Said the same to my dad. They were road grading them to start the second half, then tua throws that interception. It’s like locksley couldn’t go too many plays without taking a shot downfield.
Clemson beat them bad, but they were moving the ball well between the 20s all night. Credit to Clemson for bowing their back, but when you get stopped 3 times in the red zone for no points, and kick a field goal after a first and goal from the half yard line, you deserve to lose.

Oh man, I can't get enough o' this ...

:ROFLMAO: What in the actual F were they thinking?

Holder went from "We gon' be heroes after this ...." to "Ermahgard where's tha ground!"

.. in like 3 seconds. :LOL:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nick Satan decided to play with the UGAG playbook:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

I'd say there are a couple things at work. Maybe Kirby Richt followed too closely that playbook he stole on his way outta Bama. Kinda like how some coaches follow the stupid card that tells them when to go for 2 regardless of what the actual game situation is.

Or maybe, as you suggested, Saban figured the failed fake was due to succeed since it failed so spectacularly for uGA. "Surely it can't fail embarrassingly twice ... right?"

Either way, some serious out-coaching happened in both those games. Like Sabes looked at Clem thinking, "Well dayum, y'all ain't just gon' bend over and take it like all the SEC teams? Aw shat, I actually gotta coach tonight!? What did I do for the Browns? What did I do for the Browns?"

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
I'd say there are a couple things at work. Maybe Kirby Richt followed too closely that playbook he stole on his way outta Bama. Kinda like how some coaches follow the stupid card that tells them when to go for 2 regardless of what the actual game situation is.

Or maybe, as you suggested, Saban figured the failed fake was due to succeed since it failed so spectacularly for uGA. "Surely it can't fail embarrassingly twice ... right?"

Either way, some serious out-coaching happened in both those games. Like Sabes looked at Clem thinking, "Well dayum, y'all ain't just gon' bend over and take it like all the SEC teams? Aw shat, I actually gotta coach tonight!? What did I do for the Browns? What did I do for the Browns?"
I think Coach Satan will be retiring in the next season or two and the interesting question will be whether Dabo Swinney stays at Clemson or goes to Alabama:cigar:

slugboy

Staff member
I think Pruitt is likelier than Smart or Dabo. I think that's at least 2 years away, if not more.

ETA: What the heck? This thread is about Key. I should not have responded about Saban.

Status
Not open for further replies.