Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what was or wasn't said by Key about GT while at UCF, its all rumor and message board discussion. What I do remember is a lot of posters, not just Whiskey, fired up about it at the time. Now it seems nobody remembers or cares. Fwiw, it's all water under the bridge at this point. It's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie and hope this doesn't bite us in the arse down the road.

aside: I don't believe that calling recruiting your job justifies everything. I guess it depends on far you're personally willing to go and that says a lot about your character. There's negative recruiting, which is fine, and then there's downright dishonesty. There is a spectrum and a line that can be crossed. I guess it all depends on how far Key went down that road and that is something we will never know. I also think it is worse for an alum that has returned to his school than just any old recruiter saying stuff especially if what he said then contradicts what he's selling now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe that calling recruiting your job justifies everything. I guess it depends on far you're personally willing to go and that says a lot about your character. There's negative recruiting, which is fine, and then there's downright dishonesty. There is a spectrum and a line that can be crossed. I guess it all depends on how far Key went down that road and that is something we will never know. I also think it is worse for an alum that has returned to his school than just any old recruiter saying stuff especially if what he said then contradicts what he's selling now.

I think that's a proper and accurate perspective.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what was or wasn't said by Key about GT while at UCF, its all rumor and message board discussion. What I do remember is a lot of posters, not just Whiskey, fired up about it at the time. Now it seems nobody remembers or cares. Fwiw, it's all water under the bridge at this point. It's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie and hope this doesn't bite us in the arse down the road.

aside: I don't believe that calling recruiting your job justifies everything. I guess it depends on far you're personally willing to go and that says a lot about your character. There's negative recruiting, which is fine, and then there's downright dishonesty. There is a spectrum and a line that can be crossed. I guess it all depends on how far Key went down that road and that is something we will never know. I also think it is worse for an alum that has returned to his school than just any old recruiter saying stuff especially if what he said then contradicts what he's selling now.

Very much along the lines of what I already communicated a while back.

If he was just telling the truth, even if it came across as negative, I think he was doing his job. If he or anyone purposefully made stuff up or made it sound much, much worse than reality, then that would cross the line. We are likely never to know the truth, but my "spidey sense" says that there is enough "truth" to the difficultly at the Institute that it would greatly surprise me if anyone had to lie about it. That would be a weak and desperate person.

Also, it is not the job of any recruiter for one school to point out the positives of another school.

Animal02

Banned

If he was just telling the truth, even if it came across as negative, I think he was doing his job. If he or anyone purposefully made stuff up or made it sound much, much worse than reality, then that would cross the line. We are likely never to know the truth, but my "spidey sense" says that there is enough "truth" to the difficultly at the Institute that it would greatly surprise me if anyone had to lie about it. That would be a weak and desperate person.

Also, it is not the job of any recruiter for one school to point out the positives of another school.
All they have to do is point them to this......https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Georgia Tech

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I don’t think the rumors actually even indicated he was lying at the time. Just trashing Tech in general and our academics and 40 year ideology in particular at the time.

Not necessarily a lie unless he now tries to sell the 40 year plan. Then he either was lying then or would be now.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you certain? The vocal majority seem to think this makes cheese a clown, a valley girl, and irrational. :ROFLMAO: (< did I use that one correctly @iceeater1969 ?)

Lol. This is getting really entertaining. Yes. Cheese's perspective is perfectly reasonable. If you think what you are communicating is anywhere close to what Cheese just communicated, there is a severe disconnect between what you think you are conveying and what you are actually communicating.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The difference is he isn't in multiple threads demanding to hear something from Key, which is what you did.

I’m not demanding anything. I’m responding to multiple posters in multiple threads who continue their discourse with me on this matter. I reserve the right to respond to all regardless of which thread they emanate from.

Feel free to start a new thread if you don’t like it and ask a mod to move all comments there.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that kind of response alone will probably settle the issue beyond question for me. ;)

And the mods would have to allow me to post his response / reaction.

He would laugh at you because it should be a non-issue, and you are getting your information from a football forum with nothing to back your claims but hearsay.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lol. This is getting really entertaining. Yes. Cheese's perspective is perfectly reasonable. If you think what you are communicating is anywhere close to what Cheese just communicated, there is a severe disconnect between what you think you are conveying and what you are actually communicating.

What he stated is very much in line with what I think. I just feel more strongly about it than he appears to. Which I don’t find unreasonable. We differ in opinion on that and he’s entitled to that opinion just as those who think Key did no wrong even if it’s all true.

What’s really entertaining, for me, is that I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind here. I stated my sentiments. Days ago. The discussion continues due to those taking serious issue with my opinion and continuously ranting about it.

But don’t let me deter anyone. Please feel free to continue. We can all be further entertained then. (y)

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Oh really?

Like how so? And like, can you like, you know, explain like, how? (Using @jacketjp language to facilitate better communication)

The speech pattern I adopted in that post, in which I was summarizing the absurdity of your own statements, was one popularized by shows featuring young, immature girls infatuated with gossip, with inflated senses of self-importance, who were prone to melodramatic, juvenile temper tantrums at any perceived slight. The fact that you called out a summary of your own statements as a tirade is rich. And the fact that you are trying to apply my satirical presentation of the childishness of your own statements to me is simply hysterical.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The speech pattern I adopted in that post, in which I was summarizing the absurdity of your own statements, was one popularized by shows featuring young, immature girls infatuated with gossip, with inflated senses of self-importance, who were prone to melodramatic, juvenile temper tantrums at any perceived slight. The fact that you called out a summary of your own statements as a tirade is rich. And the fact that you are trying to apply my satirical presentation of the childishness of your own statements to me is simply hysterical.

You certainly are hysterical.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
We differ in opinion on that and he’s entitled to that opinion just as those who think Key did no wrong even if it’s all true

This is what I believe people are taking issue with. It is not a fact that he trashed the school it is pure speculation based on what you’ve read on a football forum in which you’ve considered to be true.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is what I believe people are taking issue with. It is not a fact that he trashed the school it is pure speculation based on what you’ve read on a football forum in which you’ve considered to be true.

It was pretty believable at the time. Nothing has changed to make it less so.

Edit: the only thing that has changed is that he has returned

Status
Not open for further replies.