Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game Monday night with a friend of mine who is a former OC for GSU and we were discussing the coaching staff at Bama.
He every single coach loves being a coach at Bama, but HATE working there because Saban is such a perfectionist, even with day to day life.
He spoke highly of Key and said we need him in ATL.

Buzz: I have previously communicated this, but just as a reminder, since it goes along with your feedback from your friend.

I met the wife of a former LSU assistant coach that worked for sa(t)an. He was now the head coach (at that time) or a coordinator, I cannot remember, at Western KY. She said they would always appreciate what sa(t)an did for her husband's career, but they would NEVER work for him again. She gave me one story where sa(t)an did not even understand the need, during the season, to attend a family funeral (basically, they are dead anyway, so do your job). Now, that might be an overstatement, but I did get from her that he is a MICRO manager to an obsessive level, so I can believe that it would get tiring. Bobby Knight was similar (and also had other issues) in basketball, if you have read "Season on a Brink".

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that Bama coaching staff has a ton of voluntary turnover, right? It's a two way street. Just because Saban wants them there doesn't necessarily mean they want to stay. If Key ends up coming to GT, that doesn't directly say anything about Saban's level of enamor with him.

That is NOT what I meant. I mean if sa(t)an is willing to pay him some unbelievable amount (and possibly give him a higher title) because he did not want to lose him, he would most likely stay, and that is true.

With that said, my guess is that sa(t)an's ego won't allow him to do that.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I checked a Banana forum and there is ZERO noise about Key. This makes me think it ain't happening, sad to say.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Tidefans.com seems to believe he is gone. There is a thread lamenting the amount of turnover on an annual basis on their staff and the thread was acting as if Key is already gone. TIFWIW.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
That is NOT what I meant. I mean if sa(t)as is willing to pay him some unbelievable amount (and possibly give him a higher title) because he did not want to lose him, he would most likely stay, and that is true.

With that said, my guess is that sa(t)an's ego won't allow him to do that.

Gotcha. Yeah, Saban is used to having to plug in new coordinators almost every year so I don't expect he'll lose too much sleep over having to replace his O-line coach.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Bama fans ain't gonna worry about losing a position coach. I bet it happens tomorrow. Either way, we gotta hire somebody for that spot.

Just heard that there is an experienced OL coach named Sewak looking for a job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think it will happen;) I'm getting a bit of my optimism back:cigar:
I'm hoping you right and I'm wrong. But ZERO noise? I just cannot believe that there is something going on in a small town like Tuscaloosa without any talk happening. Regardless, I have confidence that CGC will hire a good fit for us, whether it be BK or somebody else.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I am not posting again until an announcement is made!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Buzz: I have previously communicated this, but just as a reminder, since it goes along with your feedback from your friend.

I met the wife of a former LSU assistant coach that worked for sa(t)an. He was now the head coach (at that time) or a coordinator, I cannot remember, at Western KY. She said they would always appreciate what sa(t)an did for her husband's career, but they would NEVER work for him again. She gave me one story where sa(t)an did not even understand the need, during the season, to attend a family funeral (basically, they are dead anyway, so do your job). Now, that might be an overstatement, but I did get from her that he is a MICRO manager to an obsessive level, so I can believe that it would get tiring. Bobby Knight was similar (and also had other issues) in basketball, if you have read "Season on a Brink".
No wonder the turn over rate is quite high.
I'm sure the standards that are set to achieve goals is definitely astronomical and stressing.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer

Satan haha

Milwaukee

Banned

And you believed this story, about the funeral and all?

And you're comparing Nick Saban to Bobby Knight.

Please just stop.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t they go 10 and 2 in his last year and win a national championship 3 years after he left?
The year after he left GT went 2-9, the next year 3-8, the next year 7-4. Not joining the argument on either side. Just pointing out records between the 10-2 and National Championship seasons.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The year after he left GT went 2-9, the next year 3-8, the next year 7-4. Not joining the argument on either side. Just pointing out records between the 10-2 and National Championship seasons.

Sorry for confusion. I was talking about Alabama and responding to a post about him there.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Key prefers IHOP. He’s being force-fed Waffle House until he recognizes the superiority of the All Star Special. Some may call it hazing, but we should consider it cultural assimilation.
I heard Huddle House not iHop, but the source wasn’t very reliable. Said he was arguing that they’re better because they have fried foods and other options besides breakfast food and Collins became irate. Said the staff had to split them up and it delayed the negations process for the day. Hoping they can work things out and resume talks tomorrow

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry for confusion. I was talking about Alabama and responding to a post about him there.

In your defense, how many coaches have teams win national championships three years after they leave at two different schools?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.