Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
His #2 ranking is almost certainly propped up by the fact he is at 'Bama as others have been, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has to be a great recruiter to be a top recruiter on what has been the best recruiting staff/program in the country.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Not fair

When you're at Bama, you're competing against a larger number of schools that can poach your recruits since the academic net is wider and your prospect can be poached by a large number of schools with bagmen that are highly motivated

Bama's recruiters competing against other bagmen is probably a tougher job than we currently have under Coach G competing against Stanford, ND, Michigan et al for recruits

Being at Bama doesn't mean he isn't an ace recruiter

The thing about Dabo is it's real, it's not an act, and I like it, it plays very well with recruits and parents of recruits, plus he's surrounded himself with a great staff ... does this remind you of anybody ??

Jimmie Johnson at Miami?

Pete Carroll at USC?

Steve Spurrier at Florida?

Mack Brown at Texas?

Am I getting warm?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The thing about Dabo is it's real, it's not an act, and I like it, it plays very well with recruits and parents of recruits, plus he's surrounded himself with a great staff ... does this remind you of anybody ??
Dabo is very genuine and his enthusiasm is infectious. I would want to play for him. If CGC has half of that in him we are in good shape.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, Dabo is for real, because he's proved it. The guy you are talking about----who tha hail knows?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For years Dabo was called a clown by many of the all knowing here.
4 years ago my pastor's brother who preaches in the Clemson area told us Clemson would be a force .

We laughed as he was talking Alabama beating force.

This guy got NFL guys to stay and play instead if going NFL. 1 stayed 5th year and in post game was recruiting the hs players watching - "Clemson is a real place" .

Come on guys - crow pie served fresh is best. Just cause u eat dabo pie, doesn't mean us have to drink Collin's koolaid .

Cgc - has miles & miles to go to make gt a "real place" that players will be our best recruiters.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cgc - has miles & miles to go to make gt a "real place" that players will be our best recruiters.

OK , but former players is a good start ... Pat Swilling, Nate Burton, Tashard Choice ...[/QUOTE]

I like having former players here, but that in itself means nothing. Still got to produce on the field and in recruiting.

Of course, you could be saying that sarcastically...in which case...ahem...

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
OK , but former players is a good start ... Pat Swilling, Nate Burton, Tashard Choice ...

I like having former players here, but that in itself means nothing. Still got to produce on the field and in recruiting.

Of course, you could be saying that sarcastically...in which case...ahem...[/QUOTE]

No sarcasm, my point was, CGC hasn't coach a game yet so there are no "players" here at GT yet to recruit for him, they haven't played a game for him yet.
So ... having former players is a good start.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Not fair

When you're at Bama, you're competing against a larger number of schools that can poach your recruits since the academic net is wider and your prospect can be poached by a large number of schools with bagmen that are highly motivated

Bama's recruiters competing against other bagmen is probably a tougher job than we currently have under Coach G competing against Stanford, ND, Michigan et al for recruits

I don't disagree that he's a great recruiter at all. You must've misread my post.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
FWIW, people need to stop complaining about the NCAA when it comes to college football. The NCAA has very little say in college football - at least at the FBS level. That is controlled basically by the P5 leagues and ESPN. NCAA gets exactly $0 from college football. The decisions are largely made by the commissioners of the P5 conferences.

The NCAA basically exists at the the FBS level to just give a little cover appearance that someone is watching the hen house, when in reality it is basically being guarded by the foxes and has been for some time. If the majority of the P5 conferences don't think something is in their best interest then it is unlikely to happen.

The NCAA is the governing body. They govern the p5 until the p5 decide otherwise.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not fair

I am skeptical of this argument. Did Bill Curry find it easier to recruit at Tech than he did at 'Bama? His record at the two schools suggests otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.