Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is the governing body. They govern the p5 until the p5 decide otherwise.
I don't disagree but the feeling of many is that the NCAA needs to go ahead and fully govern rather than engage in a sham. I don't have quite as strong a feeling about it as that but I do periodically wonder about who is paying their salaries. ;-)

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Just like Bamas winning is helping Vanderbilts? I don’t buy this.
I actually believe Alabama is ultimately responsible for the uptick in the SEC more than any other factor. They weigh heavily in the ESPN SEC payout for TV rights that give the conference a huge $$$ advantage over the other conferences. Now we will have to see if there will be any future adjustments based on the Clemson draw.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I am skeptical of this argument. Did Bill Curry find it easier to recruit at Tech than he did at 'Bama? His record at the two schools suggests otherwise.

Curry recruited players that made up a big portion of the team that won a MNC at Tech. He couldn't do that at Bama (or even ones that could beat Auburn for that matter).

slugboy

Staff member
Back to Key,
1. It can both be easier to recruit at Alabama and still be a sign of a great recruiter to come in as the #2 recruiter in the US at Alabama. An average recruiter won’t do that at Alabama, he was their top guy, and Alabama recruiters are going to be above average at most P5 schools
2. Key has been a great recruiter at UCF too
3. We don’t need a top 10 class for recruiting to be a success (but I’ll take it if it happens)
4. It’s not just getting letters of intent, but it’s also about succeeding as a position coach at improving the players you have. The impression I’m getting is that these coaches do both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
Curry recruited players that made up a big portion of the team that won a MNC at Tech. He couldn't do that at Bama (or even ones that could beat Auburn for that matter).

Didn’t they go 10 and 2 in his last year and win a national championship 3 years after he left?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I actually believe Alabama is ultimately responsible for the uptick in the SEC more than any other factor. They weigh heavily in the ESPN SEC payout for TV rights that give the conference a huge $$$ advantage over the other conferences. Now we will have to see if there will be any future adjustments based on the Clemson draw.

There is one elite team in the ACC right now. Maybe that will change. But not a lot of other teams that draw the national audience. Hope ND gets forced into playing real football all year as part of the ACC. That would help.

I'm just looking forward to better baseball coverage with the new ACC Network.

Sorry to dissemble, but shouldn't the Key announcement (tic) been made today?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There is one elite team in the ACC right now. Maybe that will change. But not a lot of other teams that draw the national audience. Hope ND gets forced into playing real football all year as part of the ACC. That would help.

Not necessarily. They may want him in Atlanta to do so, and he was likely traveling back to Tuscaloosa today.

slugboy

Staff member
Didn’t they go 10 and 2 in his last year and win a national championship 3 years after he left?

9-2-1 in 1985. The MNC was 3 years after he went to Bama. (ETA: thought you meant his last year at Tech, not Bama. Oddly, similar outcome at Bama, but not at Kentucky)

Most of the MNC recruits would have been Ross’s. Definitely the coaching they got was Ross’s.

My recollection is that Curry’s players didn’t buy into Ross. The two bad years were when he had to build something new.

Transitions like this are hard. The OL coach may have the biggest hurdle in training up his players with a different system. If it’s Key, I hope he does well.

herb

Helluva Engineer
9-2-1 in 1985. The MNC was 3 years after he went to Bama.

Most of the MNC recruits would have been Ross’s. Definitely the coaching they got was Ross’s.

My recollection is that Curry’s players didn’t buy into Ross. The two bad years were when he had to build something new.

Transitions like this are hard. The OL coach may have the biggest hurdle in training up his players with a different system. If it’s Key, I hope he does well.

I was talking about at Bama, sorry for confusion

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

I know it will probably trigger some of the closet Notre Dame fans on here, but I think they would be exposed in a P5 conference. If they came to the ACC, I think they'd go the way of Miami, who is 'still' waiting for their 1st ACC championship. They'd be a 7-9 win team. Notre Dame fans are starting to sound a lot like Tech fans lately, mourning their 'disadvantages'. I think they are better off keeping their current arrangement as long as they can.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know it will probably trigger some of the closet Notre Dame fans on here, but I think they would be exposed in a P5 conference. If they came to the ACC, I think they'd go the way of Miami, who is 'still' waiting for their 1st ACC championship. They'd be a 7-9 win team. Notre Dame fans are starting to sound a lot like Tech fans lately, mourning their 'disadvantages'. I think they are better off keeping their current arrangement as long as they can.

I'm certainly not a closet ND fan, but I think Notre Dame would be a formidable presence in the ACC. They've won most of their football games against the ACC since joining the ACC in everything except football. They have an all-time winning record against every P5 conference. But as for their current situation, you may be right that they'd be better off to stay put.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Agreed on all that. Their current schedule has more built-in cupcakes than it would if it played a real ACC conference schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.