Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As has been documented all day, this stuff does not use black rubber pellets.

The fill is a coconut shell and husk mixture that makes it more cushioned and cooler.

I didn't say the new field did...I just said the only thing I hate about playing on turf around GA is the black pellets. Calm down...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I guess I only got 1 question:

DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT CLEATS FOR THIS TURF?

If we play in the wrong cleats and fall on our butts all over the field when our opposition just trots along, I’ll just scream.

I guess we are SOL. I mean we had a grass home field in 2018 and beat a team on artificial turf so bad they fired their coach. I guess we still haven't gotten the right shoes.:cigar:

Just sit in the corner and rock yourself to sleep.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Worst idea in the history of GT football. This is probably a Collins thing I’m assuming? Grant Field at BDS is like a goddamn cathedral, but let’s mess it up I guess?

Few plush grassy stadiums still exist and they are sacred and gorgeous. Bama, Auburn, UGA, Fla, Tenn, South Carolina, Clemson, USC, UNC, Penn St etc.

Programs that have changed to turf and are now painful to watch as a fan: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Lville.

It’s a sad day for me, but I’ll live.
Florida and Tennessee had AstroTurf for years

LibertyTurns

Banned
I guess we are SOL. I mean we had a grass home field in 2018 and beat a team on artificial turf so bad they fired their coach. I guess we still haven't gotten the right shoes.:cigar:

Just sit in the corner and rock yourself to sleep.
You must have never visited the chat room during a game.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Worst idea in the history of GT football. This is probably a Collins thing I’m assuming? Grant Field at BDS is like a goddamn cathedral, but let’s mess it up I guess?

Few plush grassy stadiums still exist and they are sacred and gorgeous. Bama, Auburn, UGA, Fla, Tenn, South Carolina, Clemson, USC, UNC, Penn St etc.

Programs that have changed to turf and are now painful to watch as a fan: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Lville.

It’s a sad day for me, but I’ll live.
Nm

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I understand the love of the old field but I had/have tickets to go to the Guns N’ Roses show. So...in my opinion having our field available year-round is more important then having the field just for football use.

We are in the heart of downtown Atlanta. A music venue we can be....

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a win to me. Grass was great but the field last year was terrible. All the extra games that Atlanta United has played at 5/3 in Kennesaw due to conflicts at MBS will likely be held in BDS now since they can fit more than 3500 people in BDS.

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I get all the reasons for going to the artificial turf, but golly gee whiz, I’m going mess that beautiful grass field. Hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised by the new look. GO JACKETS!

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2020-6-9_23-30-32.jpeg

Not a huge fan of turf fields but with the right scheme they can really pop.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Pops a lot

So who can do a Gold edit for the endzones?
nsj67pkpkb3ufnrbywzv
Man, that just looks hideous don’t it?

On a serious note, in your opinion as a player, how much different is playing on turf than grass? Although I do believe this turf is a newer generation than what you would’ve played on (no offense, you’re just getting old ;)). Does one play “better” than the other? What about in different conditions (heat, rain, cold)? Does a natural field that’s worn down towards the end of the year affect the game?

From my playing experience, turf on a baseball field affects the game tremendously. Teams who play on turf have a legitimate advantage to those who don’t. Although, baseball fields themselves provide advantages to the home team by their nature. Is it the same way for football?

Milwaukee

Banned
Man, that just looks hideous don’t it?

On a serious note, in your opinion as a player, how much different is playing on turf than grass? Although I do believe this turf is a newer generation than what you would’ve played on (no offense, you’re just getting old ;)). Does one play “better” than the other? What about in different conditions (heat, rain, cold)? Does a natural field that’s worn down towards the end of the year affect the game?

From my playing experience, turf on a baseball field affects the game tremendously. Teams who play on turf have a legitimate advantage to those who don’t. Although, baseball fields themselves provide advantages to the home team by their nature. Is it the same way for football?

Yes, it does look hideous. And yes, certain grass has a different feel and some say hfa. Do you remember the stories about notre dame’s grass?

I’m extremely sad today.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it does look hideous. And yes, certain grass has a different feel and some say hfa. Do you remember the stories about notre dame’s grass?

I’m extremely sad today.
If you really believe that field looks bad then I don’t know what else anyone can say to you. You’re obviously speaking from your emotions and not being rational or objective. Honestly I don’t get what the big deal is. It’s going to look fine, potentially better, it’s going to allow for more money to be made, and it’s going to lower costs. All of this uproar over some grass. Grass!!!! It’s literally everywhere.

And yes, I realize different surfaces have different feels. That wasn’t what my question was, nor was it directed towards you. I asked if it specifically affected the game, and whether or not the was a preference amongst players. But for the love of God, it’s just grass. It’s not a big deal.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bad decision. We have one of the best fields in the world and we are giving it up for some carpet that will be 200 degrees in September. Will hurt more players than the corona virus.

Go Jackets!
I had not thought about turf induced injuries. How does this stuff do with ACLs, etc compared to grass? We don’t need any more threats to the thin gold line.