Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Just the opposite of being cheap. This is a huge outlay of cash.
It’s a large cost up front for huge savings down the road. If Tech is going to host more concerts and events to get more revenue, there’s no need to re-sod. There’s no irrigation maintenance, and late season rain won’t affect the look or surface (as it did last year).

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It’s a large cost up front for huge savings down the road. If Tech is going to host more concerts and events to get more revenue, there’s no need to re-sod. There’s no irrigation maintenance, and late season rain won’t affect the look or surface (as it did last year).

Um yeah. I am agreeing with the move.

I was responding to a statement we were being cheap - which we are not.

However, i dont care about concert, voodoo, soccer, or magic shows at GF.

This should be motivated ONLY to help us build a better football program.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Worst idea in the history of GT football. This is probably a Collins thing I’m assuming? Grant Field at BDS is like a goddamn cathedral, but let’s mess it up I guess?

Few plush grassy stadiums still exist and they are sacred and gorgeous. Bama, Auburn, UGA, Fla, Tenn, South Carolina, Clemson, USC, UNC, Penn St etc.

Programs that have changed to turf and are now painful to watch as a fan: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Lville.

It’s a sad day for me, but I’ll live.
Couldn't have said it better myself. This move sucks. We have one of(if not the) best grass fields in the country? Change it! We have to copy everyone else!

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's Shaw's website about the stuff:

https://www.shawsportsturf.com/legion/
https://www.shawsportsturf.com/resources/downloads/product-brochures/legion-nxt/

I play flag football and soccer around GA (pre virus). The newer turf fields are fantastic. You can play at full speeds during a monsoon, whereas in grass you're bogged down by mud. Skill position guys are going to LOVE the turf field. You won't get those horrible strawberry burns from the new turf like you do the astroturf when you fall. The only thing I hate about turf is those black rubber pellets that get stuck in your cleats, bags, and anything it comes into contact with.

Given the longterm return on turf versus annual cost of maintaining natural fields, it's a no brainer...especially given the performance of the new turf fields. Add GT's future goal of holding summer events, that's turf cost that goes directly into our pockets now as opposed having to use it for re-sodding the field.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Of course we'll miss the natural field. That was a thing of beauty and something to be proud of. But for actually playing games, who cares? The move makes financial sense and expands our ability to use the stadium for football activities. I wish we could regularly sell out a 70k+ stadium, but we don't have that and we couldn't fill it either. So kudos to the athletic department here.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
We had a business meeting the Monday before Thanksgiving in Wardlaw, so we ended up walking through the stadium afterwards. The grounds crew was working on the south end of the stadium, and it was surprising the see the condition of the field.

In my mind, it's always looks perfect, but lots of dead spots, dirt patches, etc. One of the crew guys said that by the second half of the season, the shorter days and shadows from Wardlaw play havoc with that end of the field. Seeing it with my own untrained eyes, I can see the danger to player safety with footing issues.

I was in school when they switched and have always loved the look of natural grass, but the timing and economics make sense, not to mention that Shaw is the best in the business. With the GT connections there, hope GTAA got a good deal that will pay for itself in the long run.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
If the coaches do not think it will hurt recruiting, I’m good with it. However, we do not need something else (Calculas, women, majors, in town, no water slides, fan support, ex wishbone, etc) for rival recruiters to throw at us.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
If the coaches do not think it will hurt recruiting, I’m good with it. However, we do not need something else (Calculas, women, majors, in town, no water slides, fan support, ex wishbone, etc) for rival recruiters to throw at us.
I don’t think other coaches are going to go “you don’t want to go to tech, they have nfl quality turf”

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Here's Shaw's website about the stuff:

https://www.shawsportsturf.com/legion/
https://www.shawsportsturf.com/resources/downloads/product-brochures/legion-nxt/

I play flag football and soccer around GA (pre virus). The newer turf fields are fantastic. You can play at full speeds during a monsoon, whereas in grass you're bogged down by mud. Skill position guys are going to LOVE the turf field. You won't get those horrible strawberry burns from the new turf like you do the astroturf when you fall. The only thing I hate about turf is those black rubber pellets that get stuck in your cleats, bags, and anything it comes into contact with.

Given the longterm return on turf versus annual cost of maintaining natural fields, it's a no brainer...especially given the performance of the new turf fields. Add GT's future goal of holding summer events, that's turf cost that goes directly into our pockets now as opposed having to use it for re-sodding the field.

As has been documented all day, this stuff does not use black rubber pellets.

The fill is a coconut shell and husk mixture that makes it more cushioned and cooler.