Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like a win to me. Grass was great but the field last year was terrible. All the extra games that Atlanta United has played at 5/3 in Kennesaw due to conflicts at MBS will likely be held in BDS now since they can fit more than 3500 people in BDS.
It’ll be interesting. We still haven’t seen tech willing to host games during weekdays when most of the open cup or champions league matches would be. I’d love to see the champions league matches played at Bobby Dodd if possible. You could probably get at least 30 to 40k for games against club America and other liga Mx teams if MBS is hosting monster trucks

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It is both a cost-cutting and revenue-enhancing move, for the benefit of the entire Georgia Tech athletic program.

Now, the next most-needed cost-cutting and revenue-enhancing step for the benefit of the entire Georgia Tech athletic program should be to fix the Institute’s football uniforms, as follows:

upload_2020-6-10_6-50-58.jpeg

Deleted member 2897

I had not thought about turf induced injuries. How does this stuff do with ACLs, etc compared to grass? We don’t need any more threats to the thin gold line.

there are numerous studies that traditional artificial turf fields lead to significantly more injuries and a much shorter career length. However, that was based on really old turf technology, and is pretty much not valid anymore. My guess is since the purpose now is to make it as much like natural grass as possible, the equation on injuries is probably fairly similar.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ll feel better if they roll out Gold Enzones.

OMG, it'll be the wrong shade of gold for 110% of GT Swarmers.

I like the idea for using Bobby Dodd for lots of other venues. But stay away from the Rusty C with this stuff please.

And yes @LibertyTurns, I got some nasty rashes on the old astro turf. So hard you could skip a frisbee off the surface. But at least it was open all the time.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Man, that just looks hideous don’t it?

On a serious note, in your opinion as a player, how much different is playing on turf than grass? Although I do believe this turf is a newer generation than what you would’ve played on (no offense, you’re just getting old ;)). Does one play “better” than the other? What about in different conditions (heat, rain, cold)? Does a natural field that’s worn down towards the end of the year affect the game?

From my playing experience, turf on a baseball field affects the game tremendously. Teams who play on turf have a legitimate advantage to those who don’t. Although, baseball fields themselves provide advantages to the home team by their nature. Is it the same way for football?

Played Rose Bowl field & the GA DOME was artificial turf and it was fine just hot asf in the summer, but that has been mitigated by switching the composite underneath to coconut shells & husk. Our grass field was simulated to play like field turf. the difference i noticed was that some painted areas could could get slippery, but that’s about it

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If you really believe that field looks bad then I don’t know what else anyone can say to you. You’re obviously speaking from your emotions and not being rational or objective. Honestly I don’t get what the big deal is. It’s going to look fine, potentially better, it’s going to allow for more money to be made, and it’s going to lower costs. All of this uproar over some grass. Grass!!!! It’s literally everywhere.

And yes, I realize different surfaces have different feels. That wasn’t what my question was, nor was it directed towards you. I asked if it specifically affected the game, and whether or not the was a preference amongst players. But for the love of God, it’s just grass. It’s not a big deal.
Let him grieve, everyone has their own way. He just needs to remember we are in a tissue and paper towel shortage.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
If we are doing turf....please do one solid color. The alternating shades of green every 5 yards looks terrible, y'all. It works at ND, but it can also be done badly(see: Tulane). It was ugly enough that Tulane is switching to one solid color this year.
Yulman-Stadium-Aerials-June-2017-7.jpg

Space Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The turf change reminds me of something a Phillies outfielder said when he found out the old
Veteran’s Stadium was going to have turf: If a horse can’t eat it, I won’t play on it.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully not too sacrilegious but I would be very happy with this

PWnUFY4.png
Sorry man, but I am just WAY too conflicted, looking at that edit. Makes me feel really queasy, like I'm about to b..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

(Yup, I did.)