Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys not remember what the field looked like last year?
59DEE14D-BCA0-4997-8ED4-98D0E2D30A3B.jpeg

Now, can you guys honestly say that the turf fields look objectively worse than the natural grass fields?
72ABCD83-2F11-449B-B254-6962B884B4E8.jpeg

3EF3D426-8858-42FA-8D29-255DAA6A1C20.jpeg

2AE05A9B-150D-4AB9-8DF1-484D23CF575F.jpeg

408C3910-784A-4E61-B9CC-2C2D95BD2137.jpeg

43CE0456-14DA-4766-B4E4-14637C5DA8F7.jpeg

Milwaukee

Banned
Have you ever actually been on the newest generation of field turf? If you didn’t know it was turf you probably would suspect it being different than grass. Turf does start to look worse as it wears down, but by the time it looks worse it’s usually time to replace it anyway. Also, being cheap? I’m sorry but GTAA doesn’t have money coming out of its ears. This provides opportunities to make more profits, and spend less. Do you want to be competitive? Or would you rather continue to be the same?

Yes I have.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
People complain about money and the lack thereof, but there ain’t 90k Tech fans beating down the doors to get into Bobby Dodd... this was done to bring extra revenue streams in a very desirable locations in a major metropolitan city. Pure and simple it is a good move for money.

Milwaukee

Banned

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if this makes it easier to have another Atlanta United game. Have they said if the football lines will be easy to remove?
Turf is incredibly easy to change. Way easier than grass. They had a turf zamboni that they use to wash the turf and remove paint. Same process to switch from soccer Saturday to football Sunday in MBS.

People complain about money and the lack thereof, but there ain’t 90k Tech fans beating down the doors to get into Bobby Dodd... this was done to bring extra revenue streams in a very desirable locations in a major metropolitan city. Pure and simple it is a good move for money.
And that's why the reasoning behind doing this is sound. But I for one still don't like it. But IIWII

Milwaukee

Banned

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Worst idea in the history of GT football. This is probably a Collins thing I’m assuming? Grant Field at BDS is like a goddamn cathedral, but let’s mess it up I guess?

Few plush grassy stadiums still exist and they are sacred and gorgeous. Bama, Auburn, UGA, Fla, Tenn, South Carolina, Clemson, USC, UNC, Penn St etc.

Programs that have changed to turf and are now painful to watch as a fan: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Lville.

It’s a sad day for me, but I’ll live.

Ohio State? For real?

But i will say - this should be done for 1 reason only.

To help us compete for the CFP.

Concerts and other crap should be way down the list of reasons.

And this turf better have a classic Gold & White design theme - nothing else.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol You’re posting a few stadium pics with natural grass you realize that right? Nevermind.

Today sucks.
Ummm, yeah. That was kinda the point. There really no difference in how they look. Auburn’s field during the Iron Bowl was dying in places. Georgia’s field looks good and green because that game was in September. But overall there’s no real visual difference in high quality turf vs. grass.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The crew had one bad year. We can cut them some slack
Oh this ain’t a shot at the crew. Those guys are great, arguably one of the best crews in the country at the college or pro level. I’ve met Chris May countless times, mostly because of our baseball connection. The point of that post was just to say that natural grass can look really bad at times, and in many cases worse than artificial turf. When it comes down to money, this is the right call.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Worst idea in the history of GT football. This is probably a Collins thing I’m assuming? Grant Field at BDS is like a goddamn cathedral, but let’s mess it up I guess?

Few plush grassy stadiums still exist and they are sacred and gorgeous. Bama, Auburn, UGA, Fla, Tenn, South Carolina, Clemson, USC, UNC, Penn St etc.

Programs that have changed to turf and are now painful to watch as a fan: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Lville.

It’s a sad day for me, but I’ll live.

unc has artificial turf

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Turf is incredibly easy to change. Way easier than grass. They had a turf zamboni that they use to wash the turf and remove paint. Same process to switch from soccer Saturday to football Sunday in MBS.
Yes. Just wanted to confirm that. I know Georgia State’s turf the lines were sewn in and you couldn’t Zamboni it up.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I swear I still have scars from that old carpet. I do like the grass, but let’s see what this looks like & what it’s like in the September heat before we go catatonic on the change.
Honestly I don’t think heat will be that big of a problem with this newer turf. Places just as hot as Atlanta have turf like: Texas, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, UNC, Wake, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Arizona, Cal, Ole Miss, Mizzou.