Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you have access to The Athletic, an interesting article on NIL and recruiting high school players.

Favorite line in the article:

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.
Forgot the link.

Some additional color commentary from one of the Athletic reporters (Navarro) in the first 10 min here:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
All of this NIL $$$ flying around and kids selling out is kind of feel like finding out Santa isn't real... :(
IMG_8140.gif

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If this all goes as bad as it could for FSU…. Could you imagine? The build up and excitement of an undefeated season only to be left out of the playoff, lose your coach and end up with “unprecedented” penalties for violations?
Yikes. :oops:

Powers that be may want to keep them “stuck” in the ACC. :LOL:

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
If this all goes as bad as it could for FSU…. Could you imagine? The build up and excitement of an undefeated season only to be left out of the playoff, lose your coach and end up with “unprecedented” penalties for violations?
Yikes. :oops:

Powers that be may want to keep them “stuck” in the ACC. :LOL:
They lost Norvell?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
How is any school being penalized at this point… I thought giving kids money to play football became legal? Doesn’t every school have a fan base collective that is pretty much going straight to kids pockets? For example, us?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How is any school being penalized at this point… I thought giving kids money to play football became legal? Doesn’t every school have a fan base collective that is pretty much going straight to kids pockets? For example, us?
This one is incredibly stupid as well. A coach drove a recruit to an NIL meeting. That's it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

According to the article this was a negotiated settlement - meaning no appeal.
  • Two years of probation for Florida State.
  • A two-year show cause, a suspension from the next three regular season games, a two-week restriction on recruiting communication and a restriction from off-campus recruiting during fall 2023 for Atkins .
  • A three-year disassociation from the booster.
  • A one-year disassociation from the collective.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the football budget.
  • A 5% reduction in football scholarships over the two-year probationary period.
  • A reduction in recruiting official visits in the 2023-24 academic year.
  • A reduction in football recruiting communications for a total of six weeks during the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years.

My take on this is for FSU to take a negotiated settlement then the NCAA must of had some great evidence and it could have been much worse.
My sense is that the big issue is the OC took the potential transfer kid to the booster and collective directly. That is one of the few no-nos in this process.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
If true, those NIL restrictions are INSANE. No money for the players?? In a time like this?? The players might seriously mass exodus! Along with the recruiting time restrictions… somebody explain to me how this doesn’t wipe FSU off the map with transfers in the next portal window.
Even if FSU does find a way to get some money to their players, it feels like this is the NCAA killing off FSU (they started a couple weeks ago) and ultimately the ACC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'd hire a pack of UNC lawyers and go right at the NCAA. There is no way that 100 other schools haven't done as much, or worse, than this. As much as I hate FSU, this is ridiculous unless it is just the first of a whole bunch of sanctions coming down the pike.
Thinking the same. Like since when does the NCAA care about regulating NIL? This is the kind of selective enforcement that forfeited a season for Tech over a t-shirt while factory schools were giving kids cars, buying homes for their parents and paying them under the table.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

According to the article this was a negotiated settlement - meaning no appeal.
  • Two years of probation for Florida State.
  • A two-year show cause, a suspension from the next three regular season games, a two-week restriction on recruiting communication and a restriction from off-campus recruiting during fall 2023 for Atkins .
  • A three-year disassociation from the booster.
  • A one-year disassociation from the collective.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the football budget.
  • A 5% reduction in football scholarships over the two-year probationary period.
  • A reduction in recruiting official visits in the 2023-24 academic year.
  • A reduction in football recruiting communications for a total of six weeks during the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years.

My take on this is for FSU to take a negotiated settlement then the NCAA must of had some great evidence and it could have been much worse.
My sense is that the big issue is the OC took the potential transfer kid to the booster and collective directly. That is one of the few no-nos in this process.
It seems that a former player from the Ag school to our East was involved,

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The fact that both FSU and Akins agreed to this settlement tells me one of two things.

Either NCAA had evidence to hit them much harder than this if they wanted to, or FSU just wanted this over so NCAA didn't go poking around under the hood.

I mean Akins accepted a 2 year show cause and then a 3 game suspension once the show cause is up.