Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Except the rules were for outside employment, not for the schools to use as a slush fund.
I think you're conflating things though. Schools are never allowed to provide money, and I am not commenting on situations where that is not the case.

I am making the claim that a real NIL collective paying a recruit to help with recruiting seems like a smart way to do it.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you're conflating things though. Schools are never allowed to provide money, and I am not commenting on situations where that is not the case.

I am making the claim that a real NIL collective paying a recruit to help with recruiting seems like a smart way to do it.
Recruiting for the collective or for the school? How can an NIL collective pay a recruit to recruit for a school? That seems to cross the line to where there is a direct relationship between the collective and the school.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting for the collective or for the school? How can an NIL collective pay a recruit to recruit for a school? That seems to cross the line to where there is a direct relationship between the collective and the school.
There are people on instagram who make a living my posting content saying "wow this lotion made my skin feel amazing."

An NIL collective telling a recruit "we will pay you 20k over the next 4 months if 2 times a week you speak highly of GT football and engage other potential recruits in a positive manner," doesn't seem to be any different than any other social media influencing.

The school is benefitting, but if the NIL collective wants to spend money advertising for GT football, I don't see where a line is crossed as long as the messaging/branding is not being prescribed by the school itself. Obviously if the school's athletic departments are funding things directly, that is wrong regardless. I just don't see how paying a kid to sign a autographs or car commercials is different that having them tweet positively about the football team.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
There are people on instagram who make a living my posting content saying "wow this lotion made my skin feel amazing."

An NIL collective telling a recruit "we will pay you 20k over the next 4 months if 2 times a week you speak highly of GT football and engage other potential recruits in a positive manner," doesn't seem to be any different than any other social media influencing.

The school is benefitting, but if the NIL collective wants to spend money advertising for GT football, I don't see where a line is crossed as long as the messaging/branding is not being prescribed by the school itself. Obviously if the school's athletic departments are funding things directly, that is wrong regardless. I just don't see how paying a kid to sign a autographs or car commercials is different that having them tweet positively about the football team.
I just do not think the product can be the football program.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The whole Bay Bay investigation was an offshoot of the MB phone investigation. After the investigator hit a dead end with the phone after mom produced the receipts they should have closed the investigation. But the UNC grad pulled MB in for another interview and went on a fishing expedition. MB was caught off guard and mentioned Booker? giving Bay Bay (his cousin) some clothes. That started a whole new investigation that concluded with Bay Bay being determined to have received impermissible benefits a few days before ugag game. Our lawyer then pulled in Bay Bay, asked him some leading questions to get the answers he wanted, and then called the NCAA to tell them to Ef off, Bay Bay did nothing wrong and he is playing.

We got punished for informing CPJ of the MB interview, CPJ "prepping" MB for the interview, conducting an improper investigation into both MB and Bay Bay, and playing Bay Bay after the improper investigation.
DT’s cousin was a guy at Morris Brown. Booker knew them all and interned with a sports agent for a time after he graduated Tech.

Booker was gone from that position fall of 2019 and, IIRC, was enrolled in a grad program on the west coast. He purchased the clothes for DT as a Christmas present that fall and gave them to DT’s cousin to give to him. There were no strings attached for any agency. It is permissible for family to give gifts so there had to be an agent connection for it to be impermissible.

This was the angle the investigation took, and DT left that notion open after the first interview but closed it in the second. Since our compliance attorney had met with the team in between, it was deemed tampering rather than simply an honest reflection resulting in a change of heart on the part of DT. That “tampering” violated the directive not to tell anyone, and voila, we were in noncooperation. Never mind that the directive was faulty from the beginning.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
DT’s cousin was a guy at Morris Brown. Booker knew them all and interned with a sports agent for a time after he graduated Tech.

Booker was gone from that position fall of 2019 and, IIRC, was enrolled in a grad program on the west coast. He purchased the clothes for DT as a Christmas present that fall and gave them to DT’s cousin to give to him. There were no strings attached for any agency. It is permissible for family to give gifts so there had to be an agent connection for it to be impermissible.

This was the angle the investigation took, and DT left that notion open after the first interview but closed it in the second. Since our compliance attorney had met with the team in between, it was deemed tampering rather than simply an honest reflection resulting in a change of heart on the part of DT. That “tampering” violated the directive not to tell anyone, and voila, we were in noncooperation. Never mind that the directive was faulty from the beginning.
We are aligned. Though, we also got hit for CPJ being tiold of the MB interview and subsequently asking MB where he got his phone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

And it’s a minor side issue but what I hated was that friends who don’t follow sports would raise this “trouble Tech was in” because they had heard me say for years that Tech was different than uga and now this seemed to disprove my point. Yeah, we’re all alike.

This incident was the start of a slippery slope for me of beginning to hate the NCAA and feeling like the football factories get away with murder (or at least manslaughter).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We are aligned. Though, we also got hit for CPJ being tiold of the MB interview and subsequently asking MB where he got his phone.
Yes, it seems we are. My feeling about MB is if there was a chance he wouldn’t play against UGA, then CPJ had to know. It was heading into UGA week, we were 9-1 at the time, and we were ranked in the top 10. CPJ and D staff would have had to get MB’s backup ready to play. Given the above, the whole team would have wondered why? Heck, if you don’t tell MB, he wonders why. It was a stupid directive that should have voided the whole investigation, but the slimy lead and the NCAA as a whole was just the ostrich with the head in the sand.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it seems we are. My feeling about MB is if there was a chance he wouldn’t play against UGA, then CPJ had to know. It was heading into UGA week, we were 9-1 at the time, and we were ranked in the top 10. CPJ and D staff would have had to get MB’s backup ready to play. Given the above, the whole team would have wondered why? Heck, if you don’t tell MB, he wonders why. It was a stupid directive that should have voided the whole investigation, but the slimy lead and the NCAA as a whole was just the ostrich with the head in the sand.
My recollection was that MB was cleared quickly after his mom provided the receipt for the phone. So, there was no need to sit him. The investigator was just being a DH for dinging us for telling CPJ when it was clear CPJ would want to and need to know why MB was being pulled out of practice. It was an invalid order by the investigator to trap us into a situation where the only way out was to break the order.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My recollection was that MB was cleared quickly after his mom provided the receipt for the phone. So, there was no need to sit him. The investigator was just being a DH for dinging us for telling CPJ when it was clear CPJ would want to and need to know why MB was being pulled out of practice.
With the NCAA, that is always a possibility. It’s part of the reason they enjoy such a warm reputation.