Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The fact that both FSU and Akins agreed to this settlement tells me one of two things.

Either NCAA had evidence to hit them much harder than this if they wanted to, or FSU just wanted this over so NCAA didn't go poking around under the hood.

I mean Akins accepted a 2 year show cause and then a 3 game suspension once the show cause is up.
Well, I remember when Tech had to forfeit a season and lose scholarships and be on probation, all for a t-shirt, and we had several people on this site saying it was Tech’s fault because we should not have contested it and should have just accepted the original findings.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well, I remember when Tech had to forfeit a season and lose scholarships and be on probation, all for a t-shirt, and we had several people on this site saying it was Tech’s fault because we should not have contested it and should have just accepted the original findings.
Didn’t we get hit hard because the guy in charge of the investigation said that our coach and AD didn’t follow the instructions about not telling the players something or giving them a heads up or something silly like that (meaning it was silly to ask us to do that and even sillier to care about it).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

According to the article this was a negotiated settlement - meaning no appeal.
  • Two years of probation for Florida State.
  • A two-year show cause, a suspension from the next three regular season games, a two-week restriction on recruiting communication and a restriction from off-campus recruiting during fall 2023 for Atkins .
  • A three-year disassociation from the booster.
  • A one-year disassociation from the collective.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the football budget.
  • A 5% reduction in football scholarships over the two-year probationary period.
  • A reduction in recruiting official visits in the 2023-24 academic year.
  • A reduction in football recruiting communications for a total of six weeks during the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years.

My take on this is for FSU to take a negotiated settlement then the NCAA must of had some great evidence and it could have been much worse.
My sense is that the big issue is the OC took the potential transfer kid to the booster and collective directly. That is one of the few no-nos in this process.
Right now it is. However, if the proposed rules are approved, this would not be illegal.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t we get hit hard because the guy in charge of the investigation said that our coach and AD didn’t follow the instructions about not telling the players something or giving them a heads up or something silly like that (meaning it was silly to ask us to do that and even sillier to care about it).
It was even worse. The investigator told our AD to schedule an interview with the player, but that the AD could not inform the coach or let the player know the purpose of the interview nor was the player allowed to prepare or have representation at the interview. The AD ignored the order.and told CPJ of the interview. Johnson semi prepped the player for the interview. When the interview occurred, the investigator executed his trap and we punished for not following the bogus process.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Right now it is. However, if the proposed rules are approved, this would not be illegal.
One of the “penalties” is that the school must “disassociate from the NIL collective” for one year.
I thought the whole reason for the collectives is because the school has to be disassociated with them in the first place.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One of the “penalties” is that the school must “disassociate from the NIL collective” for one year.
I thought the whole reason for the collectives is because the school has to be disassociated with them in the first place.
everyone is playing fast and loose with the rules. The NIL ruling was specific about not restricting a student-athlete from using their own celebrity to make $$. Because the NCAA is afraid of additional judgments, they're not enforcing the rules that should be enforced...until now. To me, there's no way FSU and Akins accept what's been thrown at them for what has been described as the infraction. There has to have been much worse. If it were merely driving a kid to an NIL meeting and I were Akins, I'd fight that tooth and nail. There has to be more.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
everyone is playing fast and loose with the rules. The NIL ruling was specific about not restricting a student-athlete from using their own celebrity to make $$. Because the NCAA is afraid of additional judgments, they're not enforcing the rules that should be enforced...until now. To me, there's no way FSU and Akins accept what's been thrown at them for what has been described as the infraction. There has to have been much worse. If it were merely driving a kid to an NIL meeting and I were Akins, I'd fight that tooth and nail. There has to be more.
Yeah, something stinks about this. I imagine there are plenty of coaches coordinating visits with NIL representatives. Heck, they may have the meeting together (coach, booster, recruit) at some programs. There seems to be something worse that is being left out of the reporting.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It was even worse. The investigator told our AD to schedule an interview with the player, but that the AD could not inform the coach or let the player know the purpose of the interview nor was the player allowed to prepare or have representation at the interview. The AD ignored the order.and told CPJ of the interview. Johnson semi prepped the player for the interview. When the interview occurred, the investigator executed his trap and we punished for not following the bogus process.
YES!!! Thank you for refreshing my recollection. I remember thinking then that it was smarmy, at best, to try and ambush the players and that if I had been in the AD or CPJs shoes I'd have done the same thing they did. That was yet another of the reasons whenever I would visit Indianapolis for a company meeting and go for my daily run that I'd purposely run by the NCAA HQ and spit on the ground as I'd run by. And yes, I really did that. I'm petty that way 🤣

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
YES!!! Thank you for refreshing my recollection. I remember thinking then that it was smarmy, at best, to try and ambush the players and that if I had been in the AD or CPJs shoes I'd have done the same thing they did. That was yet another of the reasons whenever I would visit Indianapolis for a company meeting and go for my daily run that I'd purposely run by the NCAA HQ and spit on the ground as I'd run by. And yes, I really did that. I'm petty that way 🤣
Petty in a noble cause. 😊

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Of the things I've seen NIL used for, this actually seems legitimate. "if I committed early and helped bring other guys in". If they are literally working to bring people to the school because of who they are as a recruit, being compensated for that work doesn't exactly seem wrong.
Except the rules were for outside employment, not for the schools to use as a slush fund.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and then they made the presumption that we tampered with them, coaching them on how to respond to questioning. It was UGA week. Had we held out a healthy DT and MB from practice every player and coach in the program would have known something was up. That directive was impossible to keep.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and then they made the presumption that we tampered with them, coaching them on how to respond to questioning. It was UGA week. Had we held out a healthy DT and MB from practice every player and coach in the program would have known something was up. That directive was impossible to keep.
Actually, this was before the Bay Bay crap. This was about the phone that one of players (Morgan Burnette) got. Someone, presumably their cousin who played for ugag, reported to the NCAA that he got his phone from a booster. The NCAA dispatched the investigator from UNC who made up the BS interview rules. We got in trouble for the AD telling CPJ MB was being investigated for his phone and CPJ asking MB about his phone prior to the interview.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Actually, this was before the Bay Bay crap. This was about the phone that one of players (Morgan Burnette) got. Someone, presumably their cousin who played for ugag, reported to the NCAA that he got his phone from a booster. The NCAA dispatched the investigator from UNC who made up the BS interview rules. We got in trouble for the AD telling CPJ MB was being investigated for his phone and CPJ asking MB about his phone prior to the interview.
Perhaps, but the two were linked in the investigation. The real crap was that MB’s mom produced the bills where she paid for the phone.

Regardless, holding a healthy MB out of practice would have alerted anyone paying attention that something was up. It was a pointless directive.

The final nail being the directive was issued by a former UNCheat player who was in the UNCheat program when the fraudulent grade scam was active. That scum wrote that he wanted to make Tech an example of noncooperation. SMH.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I always wondered who might have ratted on us.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, but the two were linked in the investigation. The real crap was that MB’s mom produced the bills where she paid for the phone.

Regardless, holding a healthy MB out of practice would have alerted anyone paying attention that something was up. It was a pointless directive.

The final nail being the directive was issued by a former UNCheat player who was in the UNCheat program when the fraudulent grade scam was active. That scum wrote that he wanted to make Tech an example of noncooperation. SMH.
This.

We need to somehow get a GT grad onto the NCAA enforcement team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

According to the article this was a negotiated settlement - meaning no appeal.
  • Two years of probation for Florida State.
  • A two-year show cause, a suspension from the next three regular season games, a two-week restriction on recruiting communication and a restriction from off-campus recruiting during fall 2023 for Atkins .
  • A three-year disassociation from the booster.
  • A one-year disassociation from the collective.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the football budget.
  • A 5% reduction in football scholarships over the two-year probationary period.
  • A reduction in recruiting official visits in the 2023-24 academic year.
  • A reduction in football recruiting communications for a total of six weeks during the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years.

My take on this is for FSU to take a negotiated settlement then the NCAA must of had some great evidence and it could have been much worse.
My sense is that the big issue is the OC took the potential transfer kid to the booster and collective directly. That is one of the few no-nos in this process.
Wouldn’t it be funny since FSU agreed that now the ACC comes back and add more to it. But we know the ACC has no balls

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought justice was blind, but in this case they are picking one school for an example and letting the rest go.
Also SOP for the NCAA. Hammer one minor offender and then wag an angry finger at all of the major offenders and admonish, “let that be a lesson to you!”

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

The whole Bay Bay investigation was an offshoot of the MB phone investigation. After the investigator hit a dead end with the phone after mom produced the receipts they should have closed the investigation. But the UNC grad pulled MB in for another interview and went on a fishing expedition. MB was caught off guard and mentioned Booker? giving Bay Bay (his cousin) some clothes. That started a whole new investigation that concluded with Bay Bay being determined to have received impermissible benefits a few days before ugag game. Our lawyer then pulled in Bay Bay, asked him some leading questions to get the answers he wanted, and then called the NCAA to tell them to Ef off, Bay Bay did nothing wrong and he is playing.

We got punished for informing CPJ of the MB interview, CPJ "prepping" MB for the interview, conducting an improper investigation into both MB and Bay Bay, and playing Bay Bay after the improper investigation.

Last edited: