Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes it's just about getting paid.
With young men in their early 20's - could be a myriad of reasons. Academics, playing time, personality issues, someone whispering in their ear, etc. At that age, I made a lot of questionable decisions too. Learning patience and seeing the long view happens later in life - at least it did for me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The cost of a good QB via Transfer Portal ($1-2M) according to Nebraska's Matt Rhule (Sims mentioned):
This is what is so disgusting to me about college sports right now, there really isn't a good equivalent elsewhere.
This would be like a bunch of Atlanta Falcons fans going to a free agent and saying if you come to play for Atlanta we will supplement your contract with the team with another $1-2M per year.
You know the NFL would never stand for that. I doubt any professional sports league would.

I guess it also goes to show how insane some college sports fans are - willing to throw their money at 18 yr old boys hoping they will help the college team they follow win more games.

beeteam

Georgia Tech Fan
With young men in their early 20's - could be a myriad of reasons. Academics, playing time, personality issues, someone whispering in their ear, etc. At that age, I made a lot of questionable decisions too. Learning patience and seeing the long view happens later in life - at least it did for me.
Agree 100%, but if other things are considered relatively equal, more money is a big incentive. A P5 player thinks he can at least play at the level they did in the past year, if not better in the next. Why not do so where you can reap the most reward for your efforts? A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've said it since they started the NIL/Portal combo: Take back the one time free transfer/play immediately rule. Yes, you would still get to transfer and not lose a year of eligibility, you just won't get to play immediately like it's been in the past. How badly does the school want to pay SAs to sit out a year? I guarantee the appetite of the other school to pay an SA to sit a year decreases substantially.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is what is so disgusting to me about college sports right now, there really isn't a good equivalent elsewhere.
This would be like a bunch of Atlanta Falcons fans going to a free agent and saying if you come to play for Atlanta we will supplement your contract with the team with another $1-2M per year.
You know the NFL would never stand for that. I doubt any professional sports league would.

I guess it also goes to show how insane some college sports fans are - willing to throw their money at 18 yr old boys hoping they will help the college team they follow win more games.
This is my issue, too. I cannot stand the shakedown that is now happening to fund these kids who haven't proven much of a thing other than they know how to chase money.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
We all knew that was gonna be the case. But the full ride wasn't enough mane.
It’s the McDonalds culture. Have it your way right? It doesn’t matter how you do it or what you do, as long as you look out for number 1 right?

People have a lot less shame about being selfish today than they did in years past. I get wanting to make money, but some of these young me are being seriously hurt by chasing the money and losing everything

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It’s the McDonalds culture. Have it your way right? It doesn’t matter how you do it or what you do, as long as you look out for number 1 right?

People have a lot less shame about being selfish today than they did in years past. I get wanting to make money, but some of these young me are being seriously hurt by chasing the money and losing everything
I think that's BK.

Your point is correct. Team sports used to be about "no I in 'team.'" Selflessness and cooperation were keys to building a good team. They are also keys to successful life in general. This is why team sports were so important for young boys - to teach them these things. Selfishness and "me first" just destroys all that, and it erodes culture. Yes, coaches were the leaders of the revolution, but it was idiotic boosters and fans who bankrolled it. This is precisely why I wouldn't mind at all if Tech drops back a level if this thing goes full maroon over the next few years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've said it since they started the NIL/Portal combo: Take back the one time free transfer/play immediately rule. Yes, you would still get to transfer and not lose a year of eligibility, you just won't get to play immediately like it's been in the past. How badly does the school want to pay SAs to sit out a year? I guarantee the appetite of the other school to pay an SA to sit a year decreases substantially.

Yeah, they've got to find a way to reel things back. This would help.

Good idea by you. Guess it's true what they say about the sun shinin' on a blind squirrel's arse of something?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, they've got to find a way to reel things back. This would help.
Well, the NCAA had their chance and whiffed. Now, they're so gunshy of litigation that they won't touch NIL. They could have put guidelines around it, but they kept saying "No" until the Supreme Court dopeslapped them. I'd like to see some guardrails, but the skeptic in me says that we're stuck with this mess for a while...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That one time I started the "KG has terrible taste in ice cream" movement was pretty awesome...still going strong to this day...

Might've been your seminal moment. It was mostly downhill from there.
Well, the NCAA had their chance and whiffed. Now, they're so gunshy of litigation that they won't touch NIL. They could have put guidelines around it, but they kept saying "No" until the Supreme Court dopeslapped them. I'd like to see some guardrails, but the skeptic in me says that we're stuck with this mess for a while...
Truth. Emmert got TF outta dodge so fast folks barely remember he was ever there. I acknowledge it was hard for them, but that doesn't excuse their absolute bumfumbling of the whole thing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Instead of working towards a viable system for NIL and SA compensation that would be equitable for everyone, they waited until they were forced to...then it was Pandora's box. The NCAA essentially proved that they were useless and nothing but cover for conferences and schools.

NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades once conferences are done with expansion and it becomes a two tiered system of the P2 and everyone else.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If history is my teacher, all of the “leaders” will stand by just long enough for it to almost entirely sort itself out and then they’ll step in with a grandiose plan to “fix” it and plunge it all back into inequitable chaos.
Let’s face it… if it ever truly gets fixed, the powers that be will have no power. Round and round we go….

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Might've been your seminal moment. It was mostly downhill from there.

Truth. Emmert got TF outta dodge so fast folks barely remember he was ever there. I acknowledge it was hard for them, but that doesn't excuse their absolute bumfumbling of the whole thing.
Once the SCOTUS weighs in there’s little you can do. They screwed the pooch. IMPO, NIL ought to be strictly what a player can scrounge up, not what a school or collective for a school can offer. That’s contract work. There also needs to be enforcement of NIL benefactors not being able to represent programs, which leads to competitive advantage. If a player is good enough to generate some NIL benefit for a business, then great, but it’s between the player a d the business like a PT job.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Once the SCOTUS weighs in there’s little you can do. They screwed the pooch. IMPO, NIL ought to be strictly what a player can scrounge up, not what a school or collective for a school can offer. That’s contract work. There also needs to be enforcement of NIL benefactors not being able to represent programs, which leads to competitive advantage. If a player is good enough to generate some NIL benefit for a business, then great, but it’s between the player a d the business like a PT job.
Oh, I hear you. What I contend is that they had decades of a head start to get control of this before any court weighed in. Instead, they fought a losing battle to hold onto this false amateurish thing.

Trust me, I've been lambasted for thinking this a couple times so I understand where you're coming from.

There's a lot of people who think they were powerless to stop it. I disagree. I think they lacked foresight.

Last edited: