Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I probably could've played baseball at a small school, but it never even crossed my mind given I could go to Tech. I had friends that played baseball at places like Berry and Shorter, but I knew I wasn't going any farther than college no matter what. Warning track power and couldn't hit the curveball!

DIII extended my baseball career. Of course, baseball in college was a bonus for me as I chose my school based on the future career path it offered. (US Coast Guard Academy)

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow. That is what I actually thought NIL is supposed to be.

Besides Bryce Young and Caleb Williams in Dr. Pepper commercials, are there any other big name college players showing up in media capitalizing off their NIL?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Wow. That is what I actually thought NIL is supposed to be.

Besides Bryce Young and Caleb Williams in Dr. Pepper commercials, are there any other big name college players showing up in media capitalizing off their NIL?
If you listen to any of our game broadcasts online you might just hear some from a credit union that has a couple of UGA players reading the commercial.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you have access to The Athletic, an interesting article on NIL and recruiting high school players.

Favorite line in the article:

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.

The eye opening line:

"One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them."

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If you have access to The Athletic, an interesting article on NIL and recruiting high school players.

Favorite line in the article:

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.
Forgot the link.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The eye opening line:

"One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them."
Of the things I've seen NIL used for, this actually seems legitimate. "if I committed early and helped bring other guys in". If they are literally working to bring people to the school because of who they are as a recruit, being compensated for that work doesn't exactly seem wrong.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Of the things I've seen NIL used for, this actually seems legitimate. "if I committed early and helped bring other guys in". If they are literally working to bring people to the school because of who they are as a recruit, being compensated for that work doesn't exactly seem wrong.

I didn't say it was wrong, just that it was eye opening. Hadn't remotely thought of this possibility until reading this article.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say it was wrong, just that it was eye opening. Hadn't remotely thought of this possibility until reading this article.
I wasn't intuiting your judgement on this issue, just adding my thoughts. I, as well, hadn't considered this before. It seems like a logical leap boosters/teams would begin making.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s a pro league now
IMG_2499.jpeg

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
How is being paid by the school to recruit other players not a violation? It has nothing to do with NIL. It sounds like a direct payment to the student. Also, since when are students allowed to be paid by the school to be recruiting assistants?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How is being paid by the school to recruit other players not a violation? It has nothing to do with NIL. It sounds like a direct payment to the student. Also, since when are students allowed to be paid by the school to be recruiting assistants?
I believe the only rules around NIL I've heard is that the NIL money cannot be tied to performance on the field (so getting injured in the first game is not supposed to remove the money you were contracted for). A booster telling the recruit to post specific advertising messages on twitter/ig seems to be what most NIL contracts are for. The fact that those paid advertisements happen to be for the football team doesn't seem to contradict the premise to me.

I am not saying I like this NIL business, but I don't see how a booster paying a kid to promote the recruiting class of 2024 is different than a booster paying a kid to promote a car dealership.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think what's happening now is that the NCAA, after having fun afoul of antitrust law, is reluctant to enforce any rule that prevents a player from making money. This is why they proposed a new division.