Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One restriction I’d like to see implemented for competitive reasons is to require any playoff teams from previous season to have to abide by the old transfer rule where player must sit out a season. This would keep top teams from reloading and poaching best players from other teams where they missed in recruiting. Would be the equivalent to the NFL draft, best teams pick last.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Georgia has had a shortage of STEM educators since the 90s. The state offers enhanced HOPE benefits for teacher candidates that specialize in STEM and work in high need areas.

Athletics aside, I've felt for a long time it's a huge missed opportunity for our premier STEM Institute to have NO education program at all. If you don't want to dilute the value of the degree (VT has this issue) then make it a small cohorted program that is a 5 year direct-to-master's that turns out candidates qualified to teach AP Calculus and AP Sciences. Have a strong research and Doctoral program focused on educational technology and college preparation. Work on preparing Georgia's best and brightest K-12 to be the next generation of in-state students to elevate Tech's rankings.

Rant over.
One of the most reasoned rants around here.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Players were/are not getting screwed, unless one thinks a college degree is worthless. That’s a 6-figure remuneration for their efforts. Only in America can we possibly think like this.
If your coach’s compensation goes up by 10x+ over a few decades and yours stays flat, what would you think?

During the NIL case the Supreme Court basically hung some banners saying “this whole system doesn’t seem right” so don’t be surprised if there are further blows to the NCAA re: player classification and wages.

Which is good unless you want people coming for engineers and other professionals too for making “too much.” Who needs 300k over 100k, for instance?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If your coach’s compensation goes up by 10x+ over a few decades and yours stays flat, what would you think?

During the NIL case the Supreme Court basically hung some banners saying “this whole system doesn’t seem right” so don’t be surprised if there are further blows to the NCAA re: player classification and wages.

Which is good unless you want people coming for engineers and other professionals too for making “too much.” Who needs 300k over 100k, for instance?
But the compensation for athletes has not been flat. The cost of school has gone up exponentially. The cost of books, dorm rooms, food have all gone up. Everything a scholarship covers is more expensive including the other benefits to players (marketing, physical training, nutritionists, medical support, tutoring, equipment, clothing, etc.). They have also added stipends and NIL. Your analogy is not only moot, since players are not employees, it is completely wrong.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
But the compensation for athletes has not been flat. The cost of school has gone up exponentially. The cost of books, dorm rooms, food have all gone up. Everything a scholarship covers is more expensive including the other benefits to players (marketing, physical training, nutritionists, medical support, tutoring, equipment, clothing, etc.). They have also added stipends and NIL. Your analogy is not only moot, since players are not employees, it is completely wrong.

If they aren’t employees it’s weird how other “non-employers” give them competing “non-salary” offers on the market from my looks-like-a-duck/quacks-like-a-duck shoes.

The revenue got too big for people to all be happy with the current situation, so challenges will keep coming. I’m not sure “the price tag that we set on our own services that we make them take went up” will be a super compelling argument. We’ll just have to see if the Court drives some further nails in or reverses its recent movements and ends up letting this whole thing stand after all.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If they aren’t employees it’s weird how other “non-employers” give them competing “non-salary” offers on the market from my looks-like-a-duck/quacks-like-a-duck shoes.

The revenue got too big for people to all be happy with the current situation, so challenges will keep coming. I’m not sure “the price tag that we set on our own services that we make them take went up” will be a super compelling argument. We’ll just have to see if the Court drives some further nails in or reverses its recent movements and ends up letting this whole thing stand after all.
NIL $ is being adulterated as a method for pay-for-play, which is against the rules and should result in loss of eligibility. The NCAA is not enforcing this because no one wants a Court ruling saying that the players should be compensated for their on-field efforts. Right now, NIL is all about off-field earning potential. Once there's a ruling about compensation for on-field performance, the players will be considered employees and the whole amateurism discussion ends. When that happens, athletic associations will be shunted from the universities and will become club organizations that license the name from the university. There is no way a university is going to take on the liability of these players as university employees (in my opinion).

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
NIL $ is being adulterated as a method for pay-for-play, which is against the rules and should result in loss of eligibility. The NCAA is not enforcing this because no one wants a Court ruling saying that the players should be compensated for their on-field efforts. Right now, NIL is all about off-field earning potential. Once there's a ruling about compensation for on-field performance, the players will be considered employees and the whole amateurism discussion ends. When that happens, athletic associations will be shunted from the universities and will become club organizations that license the name from the university. There is no way a university is going to take on the liability of these players as university employees (in my opinion).
Pay-for-play (beyond just scholarships) existed long before NIL, which is part of why I think that ruling about employment status is inevitable.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not only that but comparing athletes' compensation to that of coaches is a false analogy. Rank-and-file employees have no entitlement to make as much as their CEO. Market forces and all that. What the supremes said is that everyone has the right to profit off their own NIL. That shouldn't be controversial, yet the NCAA and CFB's powers-that-be colluded for decades to prevent it. The "amateurism" model was well-intentioned in the sense that those charged with protecting competitive parity saw it as necessary to prevent pay-for-play abuses.

Unfortunately, once you cross the NIL bridge and players are allowed any form of compensation beyond their school's scholly and stipend, pay-for-play cannot be controlled or easily enforced. I'm not sure where this will end, but somewhere down the road, there will need to be massive changes in the entire structure of the game if it is to survive. If there is no semblance of parity, the audience will shrink as will the revenues. It could end up being the collegiate version of pro wrestling (I hope not).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Players were/are not getting screwed, unless one thinks a college degree is worthless. That’s a 6-figure remuneration for their efforts. Only in America can we possibly think like this.
Only in America would we not play the players generating the billions of dollars. In the rest of the world the players are professionals.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention COA a few years back. It’s just a totally bogus argument. If they feel exploited, let them simply work like the rest of us, otherwise just shut up. Most of them have great work ethics and will be fine.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Your first paragraph is incomprehensible. Are you suggesting only employees can receive offers from third parties to use their likeness or image? I have no clue what your point is but it appears to not contradict anything I said, so who cares.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention COA a few years back. It’s just a totally bogus argument. If they feel exploited, let them simply work like the rest of us, otherwise just shut up. Most of them have great work ethics and will be fine.
Why not let them earn their market value like all professions do. Calling college athletes amatures is a farce to begin with.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Rank-and-file employees have no entitlement to make as much as their CEO. Market forces and all that
The market forces here are the (“cheating”) schools who have paid players to play for decades.

Why did SMU get killed and not UGA? Because it’s a fig leaf and a joke and always has been.

They’ve been trying to have it both ways: suppress the market forces that would otherwise lead to high player salaries and eat into their admin-and-coach overhead AND let the good old boys club do it under the table to benefit themselves.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The market forces here are the (“cheating”) schools who have paid players to play for decades.

Why did SMU get killed and not UGA? Because it’s a fig leaf and a joke and always has been.

They’ve been trying to have it both ways: suppress the market forces that would otherwise lead to high player salaries and eat into their admin-and-coach overhead AND let the good old boys club do it under the table to benefit themselves.
Huh? SMU cheating and getting the death penalty four decades ago is an example of thee market forces in college sports?

Again, I have no clue what point you are trying to make, but it seems irrelevant to the discussion, so who cares.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The schools generate the billions, not the players. You could take every professional caliber player out of college sports and it woukd have zero impact on revenues.
Not going to argue with you at length but if you took out every professional caliber player you would have the equivilant of womens college basketball vs mens college basketball

Or you would have Ivy League foitball where they average 16K fans and no significant TV contract.

Players matter. College names matter. The combination of both is what makes a billion dollar industry