Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought this was a joke until I read the article. He was at the mutt game at Bobby Dodd and taking pictures with the mutt fans like a movie star. Oof

I read that he's been to 4 HS, and Nebraska will be his 3rd different college he's committed to. Red flag for me.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He's overrated. All the physical tools, but he's not the #1 overall QB this class.

They'll have Carson Beck back, and Gunner Stockton behind him. I'm sure UGA will have other QBs lined up to play there.
Ruehl said top QB's in portal were 1M+ for NIL money. Nebraska must be buying with big bucks.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I read that he's been to 4 HS, and Nebraska will be his 3rd different college he's committed to. Red flag for me.
Completely agree with this. On the one hand I have no problem with kids looking out for their own best interests I do feel like, in a team game, there's an element of trust that needs to be there. Absolutely there's a lot of self-interest that drives performance in a lot of people but I think that some of the intangibles are not based on that "what can I get for myself" attitude.

slugboy

Staff member
Completely agree with this. On the one hand I have no problem with kids looking out for their own best interests I do feel like, in a team game, there's an element of trust that needs to be there. Absolutely there's a lot of self-interest that drives performance in a lot of people but I think that some of the intangibles are not based on that "what can I get for myself" attitude.
Training today isn’t like training 20 years ago.

Decades ago, Todd Marinovich was an odd story of a player raised from birth to be a pro QB. Now, it’s not that rare of a story.

If a player can get more out of another coach, they transfer. They don’t all transfer—it’s still unusual, but it’s not rare. Every year, football is further away from the idealized stories of our dads and grandfathers, or even more recent memories. Basketball is even more corporate and mercenary.

Sports are becoming, more and more, industrial processes to churn out an occasional player. There are about 10 universities that live in this new era, another group moving into it, and some that are watching it happen from the sidelines.

He’s a product of his era

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
These kids should get one transfer without sitting out a year…no exceptions!
Isn't that the case now? Did something change again? I thought you got one free pre-graduate transfer as long as you complied with all notices and windows. The caveat being, once you graduate there are no restrictions as long as you have athletic eligibility left.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told by a well respected HS coach that is a QB guru that the Philo kid from Prince Avenue is hands down the best QB in the state. He said way ahead of everyone else in all the mental aspects of the game.
I'm very excited to see him develop. Looks like our QB situation moving forward will be a very strong position with the talent we are developing and acquiring. Our future looks very bright in the QB stable at GT.
It's a shame he's not getting that 4th star, but perhaps that will keep him humble (although that doesn't seem to be a problem for him).

slugboy

Staff member
Isn't that the case now? Did something change again? I thought you got one free pre-graduate transfer as long as you complied with all notices and windows. The caveat being, once you graduate there are no restrictions as long as you have athletic eligibility left.
I think he’s saying ONLY one transfer—no exceptions for a second or third.

Factory schools are suing to overturn all transfer restrictions

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Training today isn’t like training 20 years ago.

Decades ago, Todd Marinovich was an odd story of a player raised from birth to be a pro QB. Now, it’s not that rare of a story.

If a player can get more out of another coach, they transfer. They don’t all transfer—it’s still unusual, but it’s not rare. Every year, football is further away from the idealized stories of our dads and grandfathers, or even more recent memories. Basketball is even more corporate and mercenary.

Sports are becoming, more and more, industrial processes to churn out an occasional player. There are about 10 universities that live in this new era, another group moving into it, and some that are watching it happen from the sidelines.

He’s a product of his era
I couldn't find it in a quick search, but I read an article a couple of years ago about the gentrification of American football. It essentially talked about how the shift in getting kids into elite camps early and with paid personal coaches is leading to a shift in the overall affluence of recruited athletes. All the way down to peewee leagues things have changed drastically.

Edit: similarly, my dad coached girls softball in his small town. There was a girl on his team whose parents spent over 40k in private coaching in hopes to get her an academic scholarship. She ended up at a junior college. A lot of money is getting thrown around these days, and the investments aren't always fruitful.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't find it in a quick search, but I read an article a couple of years ago about the gentrification of American football. It essentially talked about how the shift in getting kids into elite camps early and with paid personal coaches is leading to a shift in the overall affluence of recruited athletes. All the way down to peewee leagues things have changed drastically.

Edit: similarly, my dad coached girls softball in his small town. There was a girl on his team whose parents spent over 40k in private coaching in hopes to get her an academic scholarship. She ended up at a junior college. A lot of money is getting thrown around these days, and the investments aren't always fruitful.
Not dissimilar to sending kids to elite/expensive Private elementary and high schools. One of my good friends up here in Fairfax VA was the Tennis coach at a high end private Day School. Tuition was $45K/year. Not all the kids there get scholarships to college. There is always a bottom half even if the bottom half is way above the normal HS standard.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Starters with a couple more years have a shot at a new team in the portal. Only one year of eligibility players need to be very very good and fill an immediate need at a position. The extra covid year will have some effect when it goes away.
Not all kids can get into every school from the portal. Love kid from UNC was not accepted at Michigan from the portal due to academics. Landed at Arizona which may be a godsend for him.
Want to make bowl games more relevant? Open the portal on January 1.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This is more a statement on the portal, I really think this offseason CFB as a whole needs to set some regulations on it. Maybe not open the portal till after the national championship, and maybe get rid of the unlimited transfers

I also feel as if , you are tied to a school on NIL or scholarship, you are tied to the school including bowls until you officially sign the paperwork to transfer or commit to the NFL

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is more a statement on the portal, I really think this offseason CFB as a whole needs to set some regulations on it. Maybe not open the portal till after the national championship, and maybe get rid of the unlimited transfers

I also feel as if , you are tied to a school on NIL or scholarship, you are tied to the school including bowls until you officially sign the paperwork to transfer or commit to the NFL
I get waiting on opening the portal in theory. But the big problem is the majority of transfers want to be in their new school in January to give them the ability to go through Spring Practice. That gives them the best chance to start the following Fall. If not for that, I would be for one transfer period in Spring which provides all of the players the ability to see where they stand after Spring ball.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
IMPO, the rule should be something like this: If a player wants to transfer, there needs to be a penalty of some kind except for hardship, change of coaching staff, or graduation. The portal should open after the NC game and if a player transfers it’s up to the new school to grant late admission. If the student-athlete takes online courses he could be granted extensions.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I get waiting on opening the portal in theory. But the big problem is the majority of transfers want to be in their new school in January to give them the ability to go through Spring Practice. That gives them the best chance to start the following Fall. If not for that, I would be for one transfer period in Spring which provides all of the players the ability to see where they stand after Spring ball.
I get that. I think that's why there needs to be discussion as a whole on it. When the portal came out, there really wasn't any change to bowl scheduling, signing days, spring practice, being at a new school in January etc.
Which is why I think now is the time to make the adjustments

Any regular student that transfers to a new school wants to start classes in January like everyone else. With football or any sport really, that needs to be the case

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Something like 2000 kids in the portal. A large number of these kids will not find a school and lose their ability to have a college scholarship. The motivation to transfer would make an interesting psychological study. What are the various reasons so many players are transferring. Every game now the announcers mention where the player transferred from when they make a play. Some move to a "better" team like Gibbs. Most don't. I put grad transfers in a different category. They have spent at least 3 years in a program and completed a degree program. CFB is a mess right now for lots of reasons and the ease of transferring is one of the reasons.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Starters with a couple more years have a shot at a new team in the portal. Only one year of eligibility players need to be very very good and fill an immediate need at a position. The extra covid year will have some effect when it goes away.
Not all kids can get into every school from the portal. Love kid from UNC was not accepted at Michigan from the portal due to academics. Landed at Arizona which may be a godsend for him.
Want to make bowl games more relevant? Open the portal on January 1.
Of course that puts Bowl Games above players. That has been the NCAA's Achilles Heel for a long time. Screw the players while we operate a multi billion dollar industry. If you open the Portal on 1 January the same guys are sitting out as on a team like FSU many are going pro.

Also do you want to limit teams from hiring coaches until 1 January? If it's required for the players why should it be different for coaches? Is it tampering to contact a coach who has a job at another school?

This is simply part of the shift in power from the NCAA/Schools to the players.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Of course that puts Bowl Games above players. That has been the NCAA's Achilles Heel for a long time. Screw the players while we operate a multi billion dollar industry. If you open the Portal on 1 January the same guys are sitting out as on a team like FSU many are going pro.

Also do you want to limit teams from hiring coaches until 1 January? If it's required for the players why should it be different for coaches? Is it tampering to contact a coach who has a job at another school?

This is simply part of the shift in power from the NCAA/Schools to the players.
Players were/are not getting screwed, unless one thinks a college degree is worthless. That’s a 6-figure remuneration for their efforts. Only in America can we possibly think like this.