Brad Stewart's final year

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I never quite understood all the hype , when Brad came here. And I bet he didn't either. He is obviously a very hard worker in the gym and on the field. I bet he is the same in the classroom,too. From all accounts he is a great teammate. I salute him for his efforts.
Did he meet his perceived expectations from "us experts " ? Probably not. It works the same way in reverse as when " us experts " infer low expectations on a SA because he is too slow , small , weak , etc........he will probably redshirt , he is a "project", or " backup". These are all YOUNG men, who have CHOSEN to attend the school we love. They are not Professionals, nor were they drafted to play here.

This is another reason why the star system can be so problematic, IMO. It is a very flawed paradigm , kind of like all the " fake news " flying around these days.

Let's cheer Brad on to his final year. He has been a fine representative of our school and I hope he has a breakout year , lest " us experts " say he was a " disappointment".
By the way , my feelings about judging , criticizing , complaining , etc. do NOT extend to coaches, or administrators. They are paid professionals and mature ( supposedly)
adults. That's a subject for another thread.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Just be glad he's on the team,if u don't like him then why comment bad abt him??
Amen. Great young man. Works his *** off. Respectful. Im glad he is on our team. People who criticize prob have never been in the battle. This is a young man you should just be damn glad he is on the team. I remember a catch against FSU that was pretty darn special. He blocks his *** off and plays his *** off. He is a class act.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Amen. Great young man. Works his *** off. Respectful. Im glad he is on our team. People who criticize prob have never been in the battle. This is a young man you should just be damn glad he is on the team. I remember a catch against FSU that was pretty darn special. He blocks his *** off and plays his *** off. He is a class act.
Dang right man I agree 100% I'm glad we got him like u said he works his but off people everybody does if they wouldnt they wouldnt be on the team thanks flea77

finobuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
We have the dumbest fans ever. Smart guys but ZERO football knowledge. The Ga Tech passing game under Johnson will never be a factor and here's why. We are probably the only football team (College ,Pro ,High School) who doesn't employ the shotgun formation. Never. Never Ever. It's Definitely easier for ANY quarterback to throw from the shotgun than from under center.Why do you think that EVERY pro team and EVERY college team (including Army and Navy and Air Force) go to the shotgun when it's 3rd and 10+ ? Cause it's easier for your QB to throw. We only throw to hit a home run. We spend a quarter and a half trying to set up the deep ball as our one trick pony and if that blows up there goes the element of surprise. Never for possession, never to keep the defense honest, never underneath, always to our ONE receiver (whoever Johnson's flavor of the season is) or deep down the middle to a 5'6" A-back . Don't get me wrong, I actually like the option and the execution that drives teams crazy. But when you get suffocated by Clemson and UGA last year (and maybe for the foreseeable future) you gotta have more weapons. Here's the good news. We have the guy, James Graham. Incorporate some offense when he is 4 yards off the ball. Let him throw on 1st or 2nd down with several wide outs to choose from . Let him run behind 10 blockers . Let him hand off and draw linebackers with him as the back blows it up the middle. No need to blow up our offense. Taylor it to a guy who could be DYNAMIC. And as for Brad, he's a great possession receiver only we don't throw for possession. He gets 2 throws a game (an out and a 50/50 ball down the sideline ) and if he gets one of them he's doing good . Come on guys. Use the talent that you have . It's there.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Had some drops but also some huge catches for us (2 and 12 @uga in ‘16, 4th against FSU in ‘15, 3rd and 20 against vt in ‘17). Solid player who will likely still be the #2 guy this year without the size/speed to be the possession receiver DT/smelter/Jeune were.

Glad to have him though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
102515-tech-game-hs22.jpg

I believe he caught this one. Anything after this has been a bonus for me.
Great pic! All the FSU dudes need a thought bubble! I think Jimbo just peed his pants.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have the dumbest fans ever. Smart guys but ZERO football knowledge. The Ga Tech passing game under Johnson will never be a factor and here's why. We are probably the only football team (College ,Pro ,High School) who doesn't employ the shotgun formation. Never. Never Ever. It's Definitely easier for ANY quarterback to throw from the shotgun than from under center.Why do you think that EVERY pro team and EVERY college team (including Army and Navy and Air Force) go to the shotgun when it's 3rd and 10+ ? Cause it's easier for your QB to throw. We only throw to hit a home run. We spend a quarter and a half trying to set up the deep ball as our one trick pony and if that blows up there goes the element of surprise. Never for possession, never to keep the defense honest, never underneath, always to our ONE receiver (whoever Johnson's flavor of the season is) or deep down the middle to a 5'6" A-back . Don't get me wrong, I actually like the option and the execution that drives teams crazy. But when you get suffocated by Clemson and UGA last year (and maybe for the foreseeable future) you gotta have more weapons. Here's the good news. We have the guy, James Graham. Incorporate some offense when he is 4 yards off the ball. Let him throw on 1st or 2nd down with several wide outs to choose from . Let him run behind 10 blockers . Let him hand off and draw linebackers with him as the back blows it up the middle. No need to blow up our offense. Taylor it to a guy who could be DYNAMIC. And as for Brad, he's a great possession receiver only we don't throw for possession. He gets 2 throws a game (an out and a 50/50 ball down the sideline ) and if he gets one of them he's doing good . Come on guys. Use the talent that you have . It's there.
Scattered in the hyperbole like a salted gold field are a couple of truths. But first: the premise is the wrong debate. Johnson runs the football. It ain't complicated. He runs the football. No point in reconstructing a 10-year-old discussion. When Johnson was an OC at Hawaii they chunked it in a run-and-shoot so he knows how to pass. His offense has those elements. Yes, he throws it deep. Always said he would. If one likes the shotgun, good. Some of us don't. And actually he is not "setting up" the deep toss as much as he is taking advantage of the defensive cheating to the LOS. Interesting that when we do throw early in the possession the criticism is that we are now behind the chains. Late and it is predictable. And lastly, seriously, how many wide receivers do you want in the game at once? He now has four. For the 5th you would have to split the fullback.

Quick: when does spring practice start? Please hurry.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Scattered in the hyperbole like a salted gold field are a couple of truths. But first: the premise is the wrong debate. Johnson runs the football. It ain't complicated. He runs the football. No point in reconstructing a 10-year-old discussion. When Johnson was an OC at Hawaii they chunked it in a run-and-shoot so he knows how to pass. His offense has those elements. Yes, he throws it deep. Always said he would. If one likes the shotgun, good. Some of us don't. And actually he is not "setting up" the deep toss as much as he is taking advantage of the defensive cheating to the LOS. Interesting that when we do throw early in the possession the criticism is that we are now behind the chains. Late and it is predictable. And lastly, seriously, how many wide receivers do you want in the game at once? He now has four. For the 5th you would have to split the fullback.

Too much sense.

finobuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

Just like i said said, we have the dumbest fans ever

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just like i said said, we have the dumbest fans ever

Quick question. Which shotgun are you talking about. Shotgun spread, shotgun trey , heavy gun, Gun trips weak, gun trips strong, splitback gun, offset gun, flex gun, gun te heavy, gun over. wildcat, single- wing, inverted diamond, inverted wishbone?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The teams you mention that "suffocated" us last year (Clemson and Georgia) were the 2nd and 4th ranked teams nationally and were also the 1st and 5th best defensive teams in the nation. They "SUFFOCATED" a lot of teams!
True. And Swinney got back three or four linemen and LBs who were expected to go pro, so Clemson is loaded again this year. A lot of ACC teams will not enjoy playing them. But that being said, and despite what Swinney or others say about special attention, Clemson will set aside several days this fall to work on GT's offense. They get Georgia Southern the week before but I don't know how similar the two teams are anymore.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
True. And Swinney got back three or four linemen and LBs who were expected to go pro, so Clemson is loaded again this year. A lot of ACC teams will not enjoy playing them. But that being said, and despite what Swinney or others say about special attention, Clemson will set aside several days this fall to work on GT's offense. They get Georgia Southern the week before but I don't know how similar the two teams are anymore.

Southern is going to look like the recent Nevada teams. Its just different enough to actually not be a benefit to play. Those teams run a version of the veer from the gun offset formation. They have the motion and stuff that we do but its not from a balanced backfield like we often are. the reads happen behind the line and are a little slower. If you get use to beating it at that speed the down hill way we attack can be a surprise.