Brad Stewart's final year

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% sure that all the Brad Stewart drama on here is because of certain posters who wouldn’t shut up about him, not hate towards him as a GT student/athelete.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Brad played opposite of the generally focused WR for 3 years. In other words, in PJ offense, he has a certain setup that focuses on the #1 WR first...it was smelter as an example. Then, when he got hurt, he put waller in that position. Brad has played three years on the other side while Juene had that main position.

So its really simple. When the team fields in spring, will brad move over or not. We will know basically after the first week or so what is going on. Juene backup was Camp; and there is another WR supposedly that is looking good in Sanders.

So lets see what happens. But, I think we may see another guy step up behind Jeune and go from there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is so funny. Would we be having this discussion if we had not gone off the deep end 3 years ago with 50 pages of recruiting banter? Brad has certainly been much better than most 2 star kids and several 4 star recruits per my memory. He is a lot like the kid I thought we were getting when we saw him high pointing balls in HS. I do think coming in that the one area I was concerned about was his ability to separate in Power 5 FB. He came to the right school as often the DBs are so surprised when we attempt to throw it helps our guys with separation. One thing for sure, timing on the release of the ball and the placement of said ball this year was very poor. Now according to some, I was under the impression that that would be Brads fault as well. You know several of you talked like he could throw it and catch it on the same play before he got here.Just couldn't resist.
I saw TM do this in a HS video!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Brad played opposite of the generally focused WR for 3 years. In other words, in PJ offense, he has a certain setup that focuses on the #1 WR first...it was smelter as an example. Then, when he got hurt, he put waller in that position. Brad has played three years on the other side while Juene had that main position.

So its really simple. When the team fields in spring, will brad move over or not. We will know basically after the first week or so what is going on. Juene backup was Camp; and there is another WR supposedly that is looking good in Sanders.

So lets see what happens. But, I think we may see another guy step up behind Jeune and go from there.

I agree and hope that we have a more dominate receiver step up to become our #1. Brad is a good kid and very solid player and has made some huge catches but how many are because the defense forgot about him and left him wide open vs. him getting himself open in tight coverage and making a big catch? We need a guy who puts the fear into the hearts of DB’s as our number 1 receiver or our passing game, and offense will continue to suffer.

Deleted member 2897

I agree and hope that we have a more dominate receiver step up to become our #1. Brad is a good kid and very solid player and has made some huge catches but how many are because the defense forgot about him and left him wide open vs. him getting himself open in tight coverage and making a big catch? We need a guy who puts the fear into the hearts of DB’s as our number 1 receiver or our passing game, and offense will continue to suffer.

Well people forget, but we ran the ball 80%+ of the time, and his downfield blocking is stellar. We got long runs and touchdowns we never would have been able to get without him. So while being a good actual receiver is incredibly important, that's only 1 small piece of the puzzle here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well people forget, but we ran the ball 80%+ of the time, and his downfield blocking is stellar. We got long runs and touchdowns we never would have been able to get without him. So while being a good actual receiver is incredibly important, that's only 1 small piece of the puzzle here.

Yeah, i’m not takng that away from him, i just am not so sure he is what we need as a primary receiver. If he proves me wrong then i’ll be gladfor him and us!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He has been good at catching punts, i think he has only bobbled one. He is too slow to get much positive yardage on a return or as a receiver. An overall asset

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So much pressure on r wr. Must block cause we run right slightly more. Need to get open to stretch the field on the side we almost always throw.
Imo the back side receiver needs to block BUT IN PASSING SITUATIONS NEEDS TO GET OPEN/ PRESENT BIG TARGET.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I haven't been that impressed by Stewart's blocking. It isn't bad, but he isn't like Cone or Smelter putting guys in the dirt.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I must have missed it. Other than a smoke route, what pass play do we use where we only send one receiver out on a true route? Where all the others are either decoys or blocking? Surely it exists I just can’t ever recall seeing it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just found out they got Brad's mom to head up the SA chow hall. Lucky buggers!

martha_cafe.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I must have missed it. Other than a smoke route, what pass play do we use where we only send one receiver out on a true route? Where all the others are either decoys or blocking? Surely it exists I just can’t ever recall seeing it.
No, you're right. There are all kinds of examples of route options, we just never seem to throw to them though they are oftenwide open. Recall the Georgia game from 2016 when Thomas hit Stewart down the left sideline though Searcy was wide open in the middle of the field -- an occurrence I have whined about for years -- and then came back to Searcy with his second toss. My impression, and I don't recall anybody ever asking Johnson, is that the QB is given one receiver and no progression. (Maybe a function of our pass protection?) Regardless, they have been out waving their arms and jumping up and down, and did not even get a look.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No, you're right. There are all kinds of examples of route options, we just never seem to throw to them though they are oftenwide open. Recall the Georgia game from 2016 when Thomas hit Stewart down the left sideline though Searcy was wide open in the middle of the field -- an occurrence I have whined about for years -- and then came back to Searcy with his second toss. My impression, and I don't recall anybody ever asking Johnson, is that the QB is given one receiver and no progression. (Maybe a function of our pass protection?) Regardless, they have been out waving their arms and jumping up and down, and did not even get a look.

Those are read misses by the QB not designed elements of the play. Otherwise the overlooked wide open receivers wouldn’t be waving and jumping up and down in vain. But it’s not how the play was designed.

Now if you want to contend that we aren’t as good as other programs in the pass game with regards to finding open receivers and that our QBs tend to “lock” in on the #1 WR without going through progressions / finding the open guys. That’s a much more arguable point. But it tends to happen in other schemes/ programs also. It is something I wish we did a better job of.

But I also wish we would make the right option reads more frequently too.