Brad Stewart's final year

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Those are read misses by the QB not designed elements of the play. Otherwise the overlooked wide open receivers wouldn’t be waving and jumping up and down in vain. But it’s not how the play was designed.

Now if you want to contend that we aren’t as good as other programs in the pass game with regards to finding open receivers and that our QBs tend to “lock” in on the #1 WR without going through progressions / finding the open guys. That’s a much more arguable point. But it tends to happen in other schemes/ programs also. It is something I wish we did a better job of.

But I also wish we would make the right option reads more frequently too.
That whole QB thing -- here, Army, Navy -- is why I think Niumatalolo would have substantially revised his offense had he taken the Arizona job, and it was clearly offered and in his hot little hands. I think he would have kept some elements from under center, including the triple option, because he loves the offense. But making changes would have allowed him to recruit from a large QB pool in the west, and introduce entirely new concepts. I was kind of looking forward to seeing what he would do out there. (And for what it's worth, the Clemson QB missed a ton of reads against Alabama, and that was starting six yards back with a longer look. I can imagine the difficulty Marshall had and, before him, Thomas had his woes.)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That whole QB thing -- here, Army, Navy -- is why I think Niumatalolo would have substantially revised his offense had he taken the Arizona job, and it was clearly offered and in his hot little hands. I think he would have kept some elements from under center, including the triple option, because he loves the offense. But making changes would have allowed him to recruit from a large QB pool in the west, and introduce entirely new concepts. I was kind of looking forward to seeing what he would do out there. (And for what it's worth, the Clemson QB missed a ton of reads against Alabama, and that was starting six yards back with a longer look. I can imagine the difficulty Marshall had and, before him, Thomas had his woes.)

A coach that is willing to change his football philosophies in order to pander to perceived popularity of same....is a fool and probably destined to fail.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A coach that is willing to change his football philosophies in order to pander to perceived popularity of same....is a fool and probably destined to fail.
No, you don't get it. you choose to see him "pandering". I would see an evolution ... see Navy and its evolved Johnson offense with Ivin Jasper as OC. The popularity of the zone and option shotgun reads is "perceived" my foot. When the fast majority of football programs are running one version or another, it is fact, not perception. When GT finds one QB in 10 years, that also is not a perception. One does not have to hate the offense to embrace its evolution. Poland could have done with a bit of pandering before it sent mounted cavalry against Panzer tanks. Or closer to home, I suppose Dodd pandered, too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No, you don't get it. you choose to see him "pandering". I would see an evolution ... see Navy and its evolved Johnson offense with Ivin Jasper as OC. The popularity of the zone and option shotgun reads is "perceived" my foot. When the fast majority of football programs are running one version or another, it is fact, not perception. When GT finds one QB in 10 years, that also is not a perception. One does not have to hate the offense to embrace its evolution. Poland could have done with a bit of pandering before it sent mounted cavalry against Panzer tanks. Or closer to home, I suppose Dodd pandered, too.

SMH. You miss my point. The stipulation was CKN should tweak to appease fans / a qb / the masses. That’s utterly stupid.

It’s also completely different than what CKN has done with the “CPJ offense”. He should and has tweaked it to meet his own football philosophies.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We do not have a good passing game for several reasons.
1. we do not have basically a good passing QB.He is a runner that's learning to pass at a high level.That has been true for most of 10 yrs.
2. we do not have an exceptional set of WRs.They block 80% of time and so strength and size are more important than agility ,speed and hands.
3.Our Offense is basically a run offense with an under ctr QB with that immediate bback read.That is NOT good for a passing game (delays set-up) but is for a running game. We do not have a 250 TE for blocking (and receiving).We have 190 lb abacks . The OLs are in runs so much pass blocking is a problem to master. One other problem is that the WRs get thrown to so little that they get "cold" in catching when thrown to so they miss some.

back to topic-I expect Brad to be an adequate lead WR but we need more talent. The true Fr just signed from N.Atl looks to be a future stud.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Ala, you said nothing about pass pro. JT could throw but looked bad in '15 with poor pass pro.

In 14 and 16 we protected well.

Not saying TM is great throwing it, only that it is hard to develop when running for your life.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Actually, they didn't.
The Myth of the “Polish Cavalry Charge Against Tanks”
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/03/10/the-myth-of-the-polish-cavalry-charge-against-tanks/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I do not like getting mixed up with facts and stuff. In other words, I am almost the perfect voter profile.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So can we conclude by the end of calvary being on horse back that football offenses must progress? Or since we use apc or humzees w 20 mm as calvary that football offenses don't change?

The plains between russia and germany, which are better known as poland contain no natural barriers and are generally open and perfect for tank/calvary warfare to those who have superior air cover. Lots of flanking room.

With me its
The triple option w some passing forever!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn't this thread be merged with BS's previous thread(s)? If so, he might be in the running for the top spot!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So can we conclude by the end of calvary being on horse back that football offenses must progress? Or since we use apc or humzees w 20 mm as calvary that football offenses don't change?

The plains between russia and germany, which are better known as poland contain no natural barriers and are generally open and perfect for tank/calvary warfare to those who have superior air cover. Lots of flanking room.

With me its
The triple option w some passing forever!
That is flanking of a nature, is it not?

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember the video of Brad dunking a basketball?

Brad should help us out by having someone film and post snippets of his individual workouts. A little weight room. Some running with a small parachute providing resistance. Catching balls shot out of the JUGS machine at close range. (Anything other than bare knuckle boxing with teammates.)

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmm, I could be way off but it just seemed to me that 2017 season, Brad was having confidence issues? Reminded me of Mike Sheridan. First couple of seasons, I thought Brad was gonna be that breakout kid.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I never quite understood all the hype , when Brad came here. And I bet he didn't either. He is obviously a very hard worker in the gym and on the field. I bet he is the same in the classroom,too. From all accounts he is a great teammate. I salute him for his efforts.
Did he meet his perceived expectations from "us experts " ? Probably not. It works the same way in reverse as when " us experts " infer low expectations on a SA because he is too slow , small , weak , etc........he will probably redshirt , he is a "project", or " backup". These are all YOUNG men, who have CHOSEN to attend the school we love. They are not Professionals, nor were they drafted to play here.

This is another reason why the star system can be so problematic, IMO. It is a very flawed paradigm , kind of like all the " fake news " flying around these days.

Let's cheer Brad on to his final year. He has been a fine representative of our school and I hope he has a breakout year , lest " us experts " say he was a " disappointment".