Brad Stewart

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I was going to say that they both have looked good this year and improved. Juene is developing into a very good receiver. Pretty much all QBs have a favorite receiver. Stewart gets a fair amount of targets I think.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps I should have opened this thread a bit more objectively. More than anything I am just curious. Some of you on here have a better eye for technique or errors that players are committing and was wondering if there is some

You have a good critical eye for dissecting our players performances so where does BS need to step up his game to move to the next level as a WR. Honestly fellas, I am proud of being a GT fan and take and have taken all kinds of flack from friends, family members, and co-workers for being so loyal to GT. I am just looking for constructive conversation and not really bashing anyone specifically. Perhaps I should've opened the thread a bit more objectively. I also don't mean to put a damper on our win either. I am just honestly curious why BS chances are limited since he has been clutch in some big moments over the past couple of games recently.
Thanks for the compliment. If you want my honest eval of BS, here it is:

The kid is never going to be fast, OK? Let's get that in our head first. He may work real hard on technique and strength etc for sprinting, but the reality is he may improve by a tenth or something in the 40. He will never run like Stephen Hill for example. You can't coach speed and you can only improve so much with work. If you could get fast with work, everybody would be fast. He is progressing as a blocker but is behind Jeune in this regard IMHO. I think Stewart is a heady player who will need to be precise to be effective. At this point his strengths are going up to win contested balls and finding open spaces after plays break down. He has good hands and can surprisingly make people miss a little bit with the ball in his hands, even though he isn't fast. BS is having trouble beating CBs to get separation right now. He has made some plays with double moves when defenders over commit, but he isn't putting a lot of fear in the minds of DCs, commanding any double teams. When you use the expression "next level" do you mean NFL or just better in college? If you mean NFL, just pump the brakes a little and give him some time to grow into a college receiver first.

If I were his coach, I would prioritize getting him stronger first. He needs to body up and block like a banshee. Plus he can use his physicality to manhandle CBs at the jam and get some separation that way, because it isn't going to come with a great burst of speed. He is above average in terms of getting off the ground. Many CBs are a bit short today and he can cause match up problems with his height and his leaping abilities combined with hands and body control.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would only add that in fact you can coach speed. The problem = you have to devote some real time off season doing it.

When Ben Vaughn came to Tech he was running the 100 in 10.3. Not bad, but not all that good either. Buddy Fowlkes, the track coach at the time, saw something and took him to hand. Three years later he was running on the US track team with Charlie Green and co. His 100 time was down to 9.4, what some of us would call truckin'. During this same time Buddy set the over 50 100 record (9.6, if I recall correctly) as well.

But who knows how to do that today? Probably nobody on the football strength staff. So, yes, Brad will probably never be as fast as he could be.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Brad is developing nicely. By next year he will be a physical monster. He could actually play several positions but I see him being a bruising blocker on the edge and a possession type receiver. Probably would develop into a great tight end, if we played that position.

Go Jackets!

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
One of oldest plays in football is fake run right-role right -pass to left end deep. Qb is told be sure to be long on throw.

Even if not complete it keeps them honest.

As offense starts clicking (6/7 yds on first down), we could try this play.

This is overthinking the situation. If the offense is clicking, then you don't need to keep the defense honest with a low percentage play. You keep trucking down the field until the defense overcommits, then you hit them with a counterplay, which will be a high percentage play because of the overcommitment.

This is overthinking the situation. If the offense is clicking, then you don't need to keep the defense honest with a low percentage play. You keep trucking down the field until the defense overcommits, then you hit them with a counterplay, which will be a high percentage play because of the overcommitment.
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to mount any death marches or long possessions this season to date. Either we score quickly or we end up punting. This is the week when we HAVE to find that death march ability again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to mount any death marches or long possessions this season to date. Either we score quickly or we end up punting. This is the week when we HAVE to find that death march ability again.
Agree, but you gotta take what they are giving you. We are the 9th efficient offense in the country. Cpj said he would like to get those long drives but it's hard when you can't get in a rhythm because they are giving you the big plays.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't have a problem with Stewart.Throw it up and he will high point it and take it away from a DB. I think he is a real beast.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree BS doesn't have elite speed and never will. His speed is good I think and I also believe he can get better seperation (and thus appear faster) by improving his route running.

That is an amazing accomplishment. A 3.58 GPA in engineering at Tech is difficult to achieve for anyone, including non-athletic kids studying nonstop. The fact that he is on track to graduate with Highest honor as a football player deserves a lot of respect. I think I would have failed.
So does that mean that he is on track to be the first Academic All America at Tech since 2007, or is he just the first-team Academic All-District honoree since then. I thought we had had others, most notably Sean Bedford, or did Bedford get that honor but never a DISTRICT honor?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see him succeeding on and off the field at Tech!

Jeune and Stewart have both come along and it's been cool to watch. Like Stewart on PRs as well. Plenty fast to be a possession guy in college.

Likely he'll go pro in something else and make a lot of well-deserved coin.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty ignorant of the pro game. About 1% or so of college guys make it in the pros is the figure I hear. I dont write anybody off for the pro's but I think it is apropos (pun intended) to think it's unlikely. Which is why it makes sense to play and study at GT.

I do think Stewart and Jeune both have strong hands and compete hard for the ball. I also think Stewart is more athletic than folks give him credit for. I have enjoyed watching them play. I do agree at times they struggle to seperate. They compete hard and have been effective though.

Along with Lynch and Searcy we have some good targets now for JT and he has been taking advantage.