Brad Stewart

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Interesting observation and perhaps it is true. I don't know. Does anyone else agree with this observation?
I haven't seen Brad open much. Our offense really only allows one WR to be the guy so it's hard to know without Brad being the #1. You have to trust what the coaches see in practice and I haven't seen anything that shows me they are wrong. Jeune has made a lot of damn good catches this year and a couple drops. For the most part I'm OK with his performance. Both WRs are blocking very well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Justin seldom sees more than one receiver, so there have been plays when Jeune was open and not thrown to and when Jeune was thrown to even when other receivers were open
Yessss. There was a play in the second quarter where Stewart was wide open at about the 30. And when I say wide open, I mean he didn't have a GSU player within 15 yards of him. If JT - who was hurried on the play - had thrown to him instead of whoever he did throw to, it's an easy TD. Again, in the third quarter JT forced a throw toward Jeune with Lynch standing in the the end zone as wide open as Stewart was.

What it comes down to is that JT doesn't check down that often. I can see how this could get to be a habit with Smelter and Waller to throw to, but he needs to start doing it for the rest of the season.

Yessss. There was a play in the second quarter where Stewart was wide open at about the 30. And when I say wide open, I mean he didn't have a GSU player within 15 yards of him. If JT - who was hurried on the play - had thrown to him instead of whoever he did throw to, it's an easy TD. Again, in the third quarter JT forced a throw toward Jeune with Lynch standing in the the end zone as wide open as Stewart was.

What it comes down to is that JT doesn't check down that often. I can see how this could get to be a habit with Smelter and Waller to throw to, but he needs to start doing it for the rest of the season.
I remember that second one you mentioned, but I had forgotten the first one.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I think folks are forgetting the kid is a true soph. The more he plays; the more he'll prove himself and more the touches he'll get.

If anything I just think we need to move MLD back to A-back. His blocking could definitely be used in that group.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This makes since and perhaps he has limited visibility if JT is not squaring his shoulders or able to drop back deep enough? I don't know b/c I have never been a QB but I would assume that it is more difficult for a right handed QB to throw it across his body to a WR on his left vs. throwing to the WR on his right.
We often roll the pocket to that side because it is easier to roll right and throw if you are right handed.

Same holds true when running for your life.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like we are going to some max protect, no read stuff, perhaps to protect a freshman left tackle and JT. It's roll, plant and throw a 50/50.

Pretty impressed with brad and ricky's hands and balance, but neither of them look like burners on film. Could be that Ricky is bigger and a more consistent blocker? If it's a toss up (...) for best receiver, the taller guy who blocks better wins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One of oldest plays in football is fake run right-role right -pass to left end deep. Qb is told be sure to be long on throw.

Even if not complete it keeps them honest.

As offense starts clicking (6/7 yds on first down), we could try this play.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Brad is left, Ricky is right. JT is right-handed.

It's why another wr left the program; he wanted to be the right WR.
Never occurred to me how the handedness effects progressions...thanks for that heads up that I should have already been aware of!

GTFLETCH

Banned
First of all. Hats off to him for being such a selfless player. It blocks consistently and gives his all for the team. Almost all of his punt returns end up being fair caught because we rarely set him up for any type of return. Despite all his blocking and big catches JT rarely throws the rock his way. Despite ALL of that when his number is called he steps up and makes the play. We were lucky to get him, luckier that he is so selfless.
Any idea what is going on and why he doesn't get more chances?
JT throws the vast majority of his tosses to June?

Thoughts. Guys I will admit I don't know everything I just want to make sure that we spread the ball around among our capable receivers get their chances.
Georgia Tech does not throw that much, but win they do they mean it. As long as he keeps blocking and improves his 40 time to under 4.4 he will get a shot in the NFL, and get a great education at GT!! If he becomes selfish and transfers... See Jeff Greene who went to OHio State (is not in NFL) look at Darren Waller (On ravens roster)

Why is this, becuase nfl teams value, speed, blocking and unselfishness!!!

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Jt5 throw it to Jeune in triple coverage when Stewart was wide open across the middle. A completion to Stewart would have been a big gainer. Passing to Jeune in that situation was ill advised and thankfully it was incoplete and not intercepted.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Kind of suprised by the thread. Stewart has been progressing nicely. The more plays you make the more the QB and coach will look to you. It's an organic process.

BTW, Stewart had a nice, hotly contested jumpball catch vs Pitt or Miami...i cant remember which. Starting to look more like his HS film now that he's gotten bigger and stronger.

I've been very pleased with his PR performance. Sure hands and consistently will make a guy miss and get up field. Nice player for us!

jd1985

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems like we are going to some max protect, no read stuff, perhaps to protect a freshman left tackle and JT. It's roll, plant and throw a 50/50.

Pretty impressed with brad and ricky's hands and balance, but neither of them look like burners on film. Could be that Ricky is bigger and a more consistent blocker? If it's a toss up (...) for best receiver, the taller guy who blocks better wins.
You are correct,about 70% of the time today on pass protection was Max protection single routes Maybe 2 and coaches dictate play side and today majority of play calls were to the right.