Bracketology - Let's Do This

Deleted member 2897

Having conference tournaments a week before the NCAA started was always a bad idea. And the reason they happened is because the conferences and the schools that make them up wanted those tournaments for the money. (I've heard alot of coaches would have been happy not to have them).

It's the same reason the NCAA was determined to have the NCAA Tourney, without the tournament this year there would be a significant number of schools whose athletics programs would not survive. College Football really only helps about 100 schools' athletic programs. For everyone else basketball is their meal ticket.

With many teams going to IND within a couple of days from the end of their tournaments there was almost a 100% chance that there would be players/coaches/staff that tested clean for the 7 straight days before arriving in IND but who had been infected in the last 2-5 days before they arrived but weren't testing positive yet.

This was hardly the NBA bubble where they had to be clean before they came into the bubble and then they had to quarantine in the bubble for weeks.

Hopefully the no contests will be few and far between, i don't expect alot of them, just a handful maybe.
Back to discussing the games themselves. Go UVA tonight, need ACC to represent for both the look and the money.

So far B12 and P12 are the 2 standout conferences. P12 is 5-0 with one game left and B12 is 5-0 with 2 games left.
SEC has been good to so far 4-1 with one game left.

There's no proof it would have prevented the problem. Various teams had problems all year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
ACC pretty much lived up to all of the down talk. Cuse and FSU could salvage it to some degree with deep runs, and both us and UVA had extenuating circumstances but what matters at the end of the day are wins and losses.

Deleted member 2897

ACC pretty much lived up to all of the down talk. Cuse and FSU could salvage it to some degree with deep runs, and both us and UVA had extenuating circumstances but what matters at the end of the day are wins and losses.

It’s what happens when 2 teams get impacted by Covid and 5 have bad seeds. Nobody should have expected much this year, except for FSU. They’re the only team clean of Covid and with a reasonable seed.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I thought I read all week that a team could still play as long has they had 5 eligible players. Does VCU only have 7 dudes on the roster? Or does contract tracing rule out the whole team? The latter would seemingly make the rule pointless. As in, any positive test since arriving in Indy would knock out an entire team.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm sad we didn't get to experience those Vander Plas back to back 3s with ~7 to play in front of a full capacity crowd pulling for the underdog. The arena would have imploded. I got chills thinking about it after Tony Bennett called the TO.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I thought I read all week that a team could still play as long has they had 5 eligible players. Does VCU only have 7 dudes on the roster? Or does contract tracing rule out the whole team? The latter would seemingly make the rule pointless. As in, any positive test since arriving in Indy would knock out an entire team.
Seems like contact tracing, with several positive tests popping up consecutive days. Ncaa worried it'd expose Oregon, officials, etc.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think your point of view would be valid in an ideal and fair world.

DISCLAIMER (you will read words that may trigger you, but be patient, that's not my goal I promise.).
What you consider to be the enabling age is a result of generations of systemic oppression causing some to have generational wealth at the expense of others. Its like anything else, it must come to an equilibrium and that is what we are seeing now.

I agree with you that people should be compensated for what they are worth, but again that is in an ideal world. In the real world, some people definitely have more advantages over others due to sex, race, or what social ladder they were born into.

The same argument can be made for women's sports. Now I don't know what the level of interest is or will be in the long run, but women's sports (and many other things in life) have been set aside and pushed down. Maybe if there was a level playing field, women's pro teams could afford to pay more developmental leagues, pay for more marketing and other things to create a larger pool of female athletes and generate more interest in the sport (Again, I'm not saying this will be the outcome, just saying that generations of inequality with respect to women's sports have not allowed us to actually see what might be).

But I firmly agree with @slugboy on this. This is an issue with NCAA not providing fair treatment for all teams in a not for profit event. The whole point of the NCAA is to provide a level playing field for athletes.

Analogy:
Try seeing it from the perspective of all the times LSU, UGA, Alabama,... get away with major NCAA infractions while GT gets slapped with sanctions and titles taken away for a couple hundred dollars worth of clothing (2009 FB ACC Championship). Its not fair, but because the factory schools(akin to NCAAM teams) garner such large following and support, they will get away with it 9/10 times, while we(akin to NCAAWB) will get slammed 9/10 times. It sets us back with respect to recruiting and ultimately slows our attempts at catching up to factories with respect to success. Will we get there given a level playing field? Who knows? Will it be much easier/possible? definitely.

The above example can be applied to many things in life.

Respectfully, I am genuinely interested in how you view this and what your thoughts are about what I've just said and explanations for your views.
The world is not fair, never has & never ever will be. Some people are born talented, some not. Some likable, some not. Some people are smart, some born into wealth, some generally lucky, some very attractive, etc. Some are lucky enough to live in the United States, other unfortunately end up in Niger, Yemen, etc.

You cannot manage outcomes nor should you, but you can provide opportunities. Could you level the playing field? Doubt it, you could try but you would fail.

What can we and/or should we do? We should interfere as infrequently & as little as is absolutely necessary to enable life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness. A wise man once penned that our faith in freedom does not rest in the foreseeable results in particular circumstances but in the belief that on balance the forces of good will prevail over bad more often than not. Specifically we should not allow our nation to further degenerate into a coercive oligarchy, one which the privileged few monopolize power to prevent others from doing better all the while contending they’re trying to help by leveling the playing field. They’re just picking their favorite winners & losers & smothering change by usurping the power of government/ regulations often for nothing other than their own personal gain.

The NCAA has no charter declaring any type of level playing field for athletes. Rowing teams ride in vans, football teams have large buses or fly commercial. Secondary sports facilities are notoriously substandard unless a school has a very large athletic budget, even then the ”have nots” live nothing like the “haves”. There’s plenty of other examples. The most important, ie the revenue generating sports get preferential treatment because they generate revenue. Some schools do not even generate break even revenue in football, etc, but all other sports would collapse in their current form without football for example. Want to fix it, get people to show up for your favorite other sport instead.