Bracketology - Let's Do This

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We had that same scenario against Notre Dame (might have even been 4 seconds). I wondered why we didn't elect to launch a high-arcing 35 footer that caroms off the rim 10 feet in the air. By the time they collect the rebound, there would be 1-2 seconds left.

Deleted member 2897

Well the ACC sort of sucked today, but we only had 1 team play who was supposed to win. And we got 1 win. We had to play ranked teams like Loyola and San Diego State and Wisconsin. Even Florida was ranked a few weeks ago. Today we see our 4 seeds play, the only 2 teams we have who were supposed to win games.

Meanwhile the Big Ten got to play teams like Oral Roberts and North Texas and they lost.

Sweet Redemption.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Loser: Georgia Tech's storybook season​

The Yellow Jackets were one of the top feel-good stories of conference tournament week as they captured their first ACC Tournament crown since 1993 and secured their first NCAA Tournament berth in 11 years. But the magical ride met a frustrating end Friday with the loss to Loyola Chicago. It's not so much the loss itself that is disappointing for Georgia Tech, but the wondering about what could have been if Moses Wright would have played. The senior forward was the ACC Player of the Year, but he was inactive on Friday. Without him, Georgia Tech was only a shell of the team that won eight straight games entering the NCAA Tournament.

Loser: Big Ten and ACC struggling​

It seemed like a banner year for the Big Ten, and the NCAA Tournament seedings secured by the league's elite squads reflected that. Illinois and Michigan are both No. 1 seeds, and Ohio State and Iowa both secured No. 2 seeds. But the Buckeyes have already been bounced from the field, and the rest of the league has seen mixed results. Purdue was upset by No. 13 seed North Texas on Friday, and Michigan State gave up a double-digit lead in a loss to UCLA during Thursday's First Four. Wisconsin looked surprisingly good, and No. 10 seed Rutgers salvaged the night by knocking off No. 7 Clemson. But if the Big Ten is going to snap a 21-year national title drought, its top squads are going to have to prove the league was truly rigorous after all.

The ACC might've had a worse day, though. Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson and North Carolina all lost. The only team from the league that won on Friday was Syracuse. Perhaps Florida State and Virginia can come to the ACC's rescue on Saturday, but things aren't off to a great start.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The Yellow Jackets were one of the top feel-good stories of conference tournament week as they captured their first ACC Tournament crown since 1993 and secured their first NCAA Tournament berth in 11 years. But the magical ride met a frustrating end Friday with the loss to Loyola Chicago. It's not so much the loss itself that is disappointing for Georgia Tech, but the wondering about what could have been if Moses Wright would have played. The senior forward was the ACC Player of the Year, but he was inactive on Friday. Without him, Georgia Tech was only a shell of the team that won eight straight games entering the NCAA Tournament.

It seemed like a banner year for the Big Ten, and the NCAA Tournament seedings secured by the league's elite squads reflected that. Illinois and Michigan are both No. 1 seeds, and Ohio State and Iowa both secured No. 2 seeds. But the Buckeyes have already been bounced from the field, and the rest of the league has seen mixed results. Purdue was upset by No. 13 seed North Texas on Friday, and Michigan State gave up a double-digit lead in a loss to UCLA during Thursday's First Four. Wisconsin looked surprisingly good, and No. 10 seed Rutgers salvaged the night by knocking off No. 7 Clemson. But if the Big Ten is going to snap a 21-year national title drought, its top squads are going to have to prove the league was truly rigorous after all.

The ACC might've had a worse day, though. Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson and North Carolina all lost. The only team from the league that won on Friday was Syracuse. Perhaps Florida State and Virginia can come to the ACC's rescue on Saturday, but things aren't off to a great start.
Our game (without Moses) did not surprise me. We had to give up too much on defense to make up for Moses' absence. I was impressed with VT's heart, but they were simply not quite good enough. Maybe if they had more game experience they could have won, but missing so much of the season had to hurt. UNC was an up and down team all year. They had a down day and the loss doesn't surprise or disappoint me. My UNC neighbors won't be saying anything to me this Spring. I hope Clemson retains Brownell. We should have had that #7 seed, but I am not sure it would have changed our result.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well the ACC sort of sucked today, but we only had 1 team play who was supposed to win. And we got 1 win. We had to play ranked teams like Loyola and San Diego State and Wisconsin. Even Florida was ranked a few weeks ago. Today we see our 4 seeds play, the only 2 teams we have who were supposed to win games.

Meanwhile the Big Ten got to play teams like Oral Roberts and North Texas and they lost.

Sweet Redemption.

This is slightly off.

ACC had 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 seeds. By pure seeds ACC should have won 2 games.
By winning percentage by seed ACC should have won 2.37 games.

What hurts the most is the ACC had 2 matchups against the B10 and lost them both. Win one and things look a fair bit different. And UNC getting absolutely destroyed by WI was a really bad look.

B10 had a 1, 2, 4, 9. and 10 playing yesterday. Won 2. By seed should have won 3. By percentages should have won 3.636.

Both conferences underperformed by 1 based on seed. ACC underperformed by 1.37 based on percentages, B10 underperformed by 1.636 based on percentages.
Neither conference looked good, but B10 will be looked at better to the general basketball fan because ILL absolutely rolled and WI demolished UNC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Wonder if years from now anyone will remember the role Covid played in how well teams did?

Deleted member 2897

This is slightly off.

ACC had 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 seeds. By pure seeds ACC should have won 2 games.
By winning percentage by seed ACC should have won 2.37 games.

What hurts the most is the ACC had 2 matchups against the B10 and lost them both. Win one and things look a fair bit different. And UNC getting absolutely destroyed by WI was a really bad look.

B10 had a 1, 2, 4, 9. and 10 playing yesterday. Won 2. By seed should have won 3. By percentages should have won 3.636.

Both conferences underperformed by 1 based on seed. ACC underperformed by 1.37 based on percentages, B10 underperformed by 1.636 based on percentages.
Neither conference looked good, but B10 will be looked at better to the general basketball fan because ILL absolutely rolled and WI demolished UNC.

North Carolina looked like ***.

Nobody else did. Many of the top Big Ten teams looked like ***. And like I said, we played a bunch of ranked teams. The comparison isn’t even close. Clemson is the only team who really should have won. We’ll see if FSU and UVA win today. If they do, we look infinitely better than the Big Ten. If not, both conferences should be embarrassed.

Comparing a bunch of high seeds playing ranked teams to a bunch of 1s, 2s, and 4s playing Oral Robert’s and North Texas is silly.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hope Cuse and UVa do well. VT had game under control till they choked, came back and then choked again in OT.
I am not a VT fan, but losing in OT is not choking. Maybe we see that word differently, so I am not trying to shame you. To me it says too much about the character of the young men who lost and I don't think that is fair. Competitive sports always has a team that wins and a team that loses. Degrading the loser diminishes the winner. Give the winner the joy and pride in victory.