Bracket Challenge 2019

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
One interesting note that I saw on another board.

Ken Pomeroy did some statistical work on winning probability with 10 seconds left and a 3-pt lead. Whether to foul or not.
it turns out it is basically a wash. in both cases - fouling or not fouling the win probability hangs around 93%. Just sort of the luck of the game if you end up in the 93% based on your decision.

Not sure that “statistical work” and “basically a wash” go together.

There’s a 51%/49% split on flipping a coin and it landing on tails versus heads. Is that basically a wash? I’m going with tails.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Duke has four potential 1st round draft picks. Maybe Coach K is not as great as advertised. They had a one point win against UCF, and a two point win versus Virginia Tech, then a one point loss to Michigan State. Hopefully these kids will wake up and think about where they play college basketball. This much talent should dominate. That ain't happening at Duke.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke has four potential 1st round draft picks. Maybe Coach K is not as great as advertised. They had a one point win against UCF, and a two point win versus Virginia Tech, then a one point loss to Michigan State. Hopefully these kids will wake up and think about where they play college basketball. This much talent should dominate. That ain't happening at Duke.
Coach K is a great program head. He made his bones by being a relentless recruiter and as he amassed talent, the program became successful and it became a perpetual thing like Bowden at FSU. Game day, he is average. And remember a true coach doesn't quit on his players midseason because he can't take the losses on his record. Adios Blue Devils.

GT_EE78

Banned
i'm just hoping for UVA to lose. screwed my bracket two years in a row. last year by losing ,this year by winning. Hope they lose all OOC games next year too.
still don't hate them as much as Dan Devine and Nd ..

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach K is a great program head. He made his bones by being a relentless recruiter and as he amassed talent, the program became successful and it became a perpetual thing like Bowden at FSU. Game day, he is average. And remember a true coach doesn't quit on his players midseason because he can't take the losses on his record. Adios Blue Devils.
I think he's a better than average game day coach, and usually has a good staff. It turns out that experience matters. Talent can take freshmen far, but nearly as talented upper classmen will most often prevail.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if any other conference's fans root against their conference mates as hard as the ACC fans do

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if any other conference's fans root against their conference mates as hard as the ACC fans do
I was rooting for UVA and Duke. I think it's important to have pride in your conference and hope for it to be the best. Of course, I want us to beat these guys. But I want them to be the best except for us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I wouldn't go as far as to say Coach K can't coach. He was severely outcoached tonight but he's also coaching a bunch of freshmen.