Bowl Projections & Rumors

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
66cabf88-b795-4697-aaaa-8e1821a54655-USP_NCAA_Football__Pinstripe_Bowl-Michigan_State_v.JPG

Looks like second level (in certain spots) will be the only mildly viable seats if we get sent to this terrible idea. Second level seems high enough to see the game, unlike the first, and not a mile away, like the third. What a football atrocity. I hope we get anything but this.

I don't think fan attendance is going to be considered. Look at that. Kickoff, and maybe 5k people there.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don't think fan attendance is going to be considered. Look at that. Kickoff, and maybe 5k people there.
To your point, I suspect TV revenue is 80-90% of the business case for most bowls, along with some ticket revenue guarantees from the conferences. Actual attendance above the guaranteed sales is just gravy. I could be wrong - perhaps someone more familiar with bowl finances can comment.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Past low attendance at Pinstripe isn't proof that they don't factor in attendance. They consider it like this: If they put Georgia Tech in Tampa, there would be decent attendance from GT people. If they put Duke in Tampa, there would be poor attendance from Duke. If they put either team in New York, both would have poor attendance. Thus, they would typically put GT in Tampa and Duke in NYC so that one of the games has decent attendance. In other words, the low attendance for the Pinstripe Bowl is inevitable; but it isn't necessarily for other bowls. That's an oversimplification obviously, but y'all get my point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These are the ACC teams that are bowl eligible. Add Notre Dame to the list:

FSU and, maybe, UL are locked in to the either the CFP or NY6 bowls.

These are the ACC bowl tie ins and the order in which the bowls select the ACC team they want. Once FSU and UL are picked, the rest of the teams, including ND, can be picked in any order. In turn each bowl picks the team they want in their bowl based upon whatever criteria they choose. Conference standings and overall record are irrelevant except as a criteria the bowls can use if they wish.

Tier No. #1
Tier #2

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

These are the ACC bowl tie ins and the order in which the bowls select the ACC team they want. Once FSU and UL are picked, the rest of the teams, including ND, can be picked in any order. In turn each bowl picks the team they want in their bowl based upon whatever criteria they choose. Conference standings and overall record are irrelevant except as a criteria the bowls can use if they wish.

Tier No. #1
Tier #2
Except for FSU and Louisville, five teams have better overall records. I bet we end up in the Holiday Bowl.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow

Tier No. #1
Tier #2
One correction: the bowls no longer "pick". The conferences and bowls work together to find suitable matchups.

slugboy

Staff member
Duke hasn’t played in the Mayo bowl in 11 years, and it’s been 5 for VT. That seems to be one of the dominoes to cause others to fall.
NCST, UNC, Miami, Clemson, and Duke look likely to get picked ahead of us (better overall record, even though we’re 4th in conference)

I think that puts us in line for Pop Tarts (not gonna happen), Pinstripe, Fenway, Holiday, Mayo, or Military.

Sporting News gives Tiers (https://collegefootballnews.com/bow...es-affiliations-for-each-conference-2023-2024). We don’t really get to tell the Pinstripe bowl we’d rather play in Florida.

First Tier
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
Pop Tart Bowl vs Big 12
Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten
Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic
Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic
ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten)
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12

Second Tier
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12

Short version: we won’t fall to Birmingham or Gasparilla. Charlotte doesn’t seem to be picking us. Even though Duke or VT would do well in the Northeast, one of them seems to be getting CLT. Pinstripe looks really likely.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Duke hasn’t played in the Mayo bowl in 11 years, and it’s been 5 for VT. That seems to be one of the dominoes to cause others to fall.
NCST, UNC, Miami, Clemson, and Duke look likely to get picked ahead of us (better overall record, even though we’re 4th in conference)

I think that puts us in line for Pop Tarts (not gonna happen), Pinstripe, Fenway, Holiday, Mayo, or Military.

Sporting News gives Tiers (https://collegefootballnews.com/bow...es-affiliations-for-each-conference-2023-2024). We don’t really get to tell the Pinstripe bowl we’d rather play in Florida.

First Tier
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
Pop Tart Bowl vs Big 12
Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten
Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic
Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic
ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten)
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12

Second Tier
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12

Short version: we won’t fall to Birmingham or Gasparilla. Charlotte doesn’t seem to be picking us. Even though Duke or VT would do well in the Northeast, one of them seems to be getting CLT. Pinstripe looks really likely.
And that’s the screws the ACC always puts on us. Atlanta is only about 50 miles further to Charlotte than Blacksburg is.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm a little confused. I need clarity on exactly which bowl invite equates to the biggest screw-job from the ACC... and which is the least? I already get it that the ACC WILL screw Ga Tech... no bowl invite can overcome that. I just need to know the level of pissed I need to be the moment the bowl is announced. Thanks in advance.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm a little confused. I need clarity on exactly which bowl invite equates to the biggest screw-job from the ACC... and which is the least? I already get it that the ACC WILL screw Ga Tech... no bowl invite can overcome that. I just need to know the level of pissed I need to be the moment the bowl is announced. Thanks in advance.
The ACC has only a limited role. The commissioner is not campaigning for us to go to the “lowest bowl”, or else we’d get the Birmingham or Gasparilla bowls like many fans want.
If we don’t get Charlotte or the Gator Bowl, it’s because they preferred another team. We can campaign and influence, but what bowl we get is more related to how bowls perceive us than insidious ACC politics.
Bowl committees might be wrong about our attendance. However, it’s in the ACCs best interest to put as positive a spin as possible on the entire conference—including us.
Charlotte doesn’t pick NC teams because the ACC tells them to; it’s their preference.
If we had one more win, we’d be in a warm climate for the bowl. But, as it is, we get a bowl. Barely qualifying for a bowl is what we did, which limits which bowl we will get, and we still get a tier 1 ACC bowl (in New York, probably)

EDIT: we went 6-6, which is barely bowl eligible. And some are complaining that we aren’t getting our first choice of bowl games.
In CPJs last game, we got passed over for the Mayo bowl, the Pinstripe bowl, and the Military bowl, and played in Detroit. That was a shaft. This is just going 6-6.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has only a limited role. The commissioner is not campaigning for us to go to the “lowest bowl”, or else we’d get the Birmingham or Gasparilla bowls like many fans want.
If we don’t get Charlotte or the Gator Bowl, it’s because they preferred another team. We can campaign and influence, but what bowl we get is more related to how bowls perceive us than insidious ACC politics.
Bowl committees might be wrong about our attendance. However, it’s in the ACCs best interest to put as positive a spin as possible on the entire conference—including us.
Charlotte doesn’t pick NC teams because the ACC tells them to; it’s their preference.
If we had one more win, we’d be in a warm climate for the bowl. But, as it is, we get a bowl. Barely qualifying for a bowl is what we did, which limits which bowl we will get, and we still get a tier 1 ACC bowl (in New York, probably)
ESPN has a say as well in several Bowls. No doubt there has been lots of discussions among the Bowls, the ACC HQ, the ADs and the television networks already this week.

Notice the “fans” are not included in the cast of players. School ADs will do what they think is best for the football program in their interactions. That may or may not be what’s best for most fans.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
With all these crazy bowl games, why doesn't Atlanta have a Hyundai bowl in Atlanta, the home of the College Football Hall of Fame, at historic Bobby Dodd Stadium, honoring the coach whose name is on the College Football Coach of the Year award whose team excels on the field, in the classroom, and in the community?