Bowl Projections & Rumors

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since bowl revenue is given to the conference for distribution to its member schools (previously evenly, but now the top teams get a bump), I wondered about how this works with ND. All I could find on the subject was this “The only exception is Notre Dame, which is handled separately under a conference agreement that has not been made public.”

This was from a 2014 article. It would not surprise me if ND not only got an ACC-affiliated bowl but also had a more favorable revenue distribution. 😠
I completely overlooked ND. With them not going to a NY6 bowl they absolutely get an ACC bowl bid and will get one of the best ones available as every bowl will want them due to their fanbase.
They will likely be the first school taken after FSU and L'ville.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Much safer than Atlanta:
Those per capita statistics are skewed because so few people actually live in downtown Atlanta, but so many people come into town for work and entertainment. While a number of people also commute into New York, the city population is so large that it does impact the per capital crime rates.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
NYC looks safer than Dallas and a lot safer than St Louis. Safer than any of the Florida bowl locations or Charlotte—at least for homicides

Using per capita skews these statistics to make New York look safer since they have such a large population within the city limits.

I was born in the city. I have friends and family in New York. It is not safer than Dallas or Atlanta. Not that there aren't places in either of those cities you should avoid, but as a whole they are safer than New York.

Also, I was refuting the absurd claim that it is Fox News pushing the crime wave narrative. The NYT is not some right wing media outlet. Everyone in the city and state acknowledge it. The governor and mayor (a former cop) are pushing a pro law enforcement agenda. The idea that it is a narrative created by FNC is absurd

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Using per capita skews these statistics to make New York look safer since they have such a large population within the city limits.

I was born in the city. I have friends and family in New York. It is not safer than Dallas or Atlanta. Not that there aren't places in either of thise cities you should avoid, but as a whole they are safer than New York.

Also, I was refuting the absurd claim that it is Fox News pushing the crime wave narrative. The NYT is not some right wing media outlet. Everyone in the city and state acknowledge it. The governor and mayor (a former) are pushing a pro law enforcement agenda. The idea that it is a narrative created by FNC is absurd
NY Post and Times reporting they are losing police officers (mostly resignations) at a record pace this year.

Anyway, back to football. :D

slugboy

Staff member
If someone personally doesn’t want to go to New York to see a bowl game, that’s your preference. I think there will be plenty of police officers around Yankee Stadium, and there’s a lot of fun things to do in New York.

I was just there this summer

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I’m going to NYC in a couple days to see the final two KISS shows at MSG. Highly excited. Although, I still need a hotel in Manhattan. Holding out for a better price. Anyone got a good lead on how to get a better rate? I was there a year ago for the first time for a wedding and stayed at Westgate (recommend) Grand Central for $200 a night. It’s double that now. Also, as for the discussion, everywhere I went in NYC, there were people everywhere and cops literally at every intersection.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Crime in cities is complicated, as detailed in that Times piece: there tends to be more property crime, but violent crimes are much fuzzier per capita. Prior to 2020 pretty much everything was at 60 year lows in every city, but we did see increases in some types of crime nationwide in 2020 and 2021, but crime levels didn't get close to the highs of the 1980s and have largely started dropping again.

Long story short: cities are safe, the vast majority of people will never have an issue, and there are reasonable steps you can take to decrease your risk (don't travel alone down dark alleys, don't leave valuables out in the open, etc).

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The weather will be cold wherever we land. I remember the Sun Bowl having sleet and rain with near freezing temps very often over the past several years. I remember almost freezing to death in Tampa the year we beat Clemson in the ACC Championship game. Boston and New York are a given cold and most likely wet locations. Unless we are going to Hawaii which we are not, the weather is most likely going to suck.