Bowl Projections & Rumors

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many of these reporters talk to the bowl committees.
In the old days you could see bowl representatives come to see your team play and I would think they would talk to the AD to check their interest in playing in their bowl and how many tickets they would be willing to sale.
I may be wrong, but I think now the Bowls tied into the ACC are put in order, and they pick the one they want then the next and the next and so on. At one time they had to pick them by their conference record but could drop down one if they wanted another team.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
The options are Charlotte, Pinstripe, or possibly Military from the ACC tie-ins. One of the ACC teams will get the Gasparilla, Birmingham or an at-large spot so that's the other option if they want Syracuse to play in Yankee stadium.
Syracuse played in the Pinstripe last year so they’ll go somewhere else. BC would be the other logical choice, but they look to be a lock for the Fenway Bowl. Virginia Tech, Miami, and Duke have also played there somewhat recently, and Clemson/NCST/UNC are all 8-4 and have likely earned a Florida (or San Diego) bowl trip for their seasons. By process of elimination I can see how we wind up there. Maybe the Military or Duke Mayo bowls are in play, but I’d be pretty shocked if we get a Florida bowl game. But hey just happy to be back, beggars can’t be choosers

slugboy

Staff member
In the old days you could see bowl representatives come to see your team play and I would think they would talk to the AD to check their interest in playing in their bowl and how many tickets they would be willing to sale.
I may be wrong, but I think now the Bowls tied into the ACC are put in order, and they pick the one they want then the next and the next and so on. At one time they had to pick them by their conference record but could drop down one if they wanted another team.
There’s no set order any more. The ACC works with the bowl committees to make as many teams and bowls as happy as possible.

I have seen an “A tier” and a “B tier”, but not in the latest. To go to Gasparilla or Birmingham technically shouldn’t happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
After a 5 year hiatus, I'm just glad we're having these conversations. I don't care where we go (kinda, for selfish reasons, I'd like bowl game in FL so it can double as a saltwater fishing trip), I just want the extra practices for the young guys, and I'm happy the playerss are getting rewarded for all of their hard work. Unfortunately, some of the players who stayed all 4 years have never experienced a bowl game.

GT making a bowl game should be a minimum standard...and it was for a LONG time.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"GT making a bowl game should be a minimum standard"

50/50 ball should never be any kind of standard for us.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Syracuse played in the Pinstripe last year so they’ll go somewhere else. BC would be the other logical choice, but they look to be a lock for the Fenway Bowl. Virginia Tech, Miami, and Duke have also played there somewhat recently, and Clemson/NCST/UNC are all 8-4 and have likely earned a Florida (or San Diego) bowl trip for their seasons. By process of elimination I can see how we wind up there. Maybe the Military or Duke Mayo bowls are in play, but I’d be pretty shocked if we get a Florida bowl game. But hey just happy to be back, beggars can’t be choosers
Completely forgot about Notre Dame too. They’ll get a Florida bowl, so you’ll be left with us, Miami, Duke, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech as the 7-5/6-6 teams vying for the Pinstripe, Sun, Duke Mayo, Military, and Birmingham/Gasparilla/First Responder. So there is a chance we get bumped to Tier 2. My guess is it goes:

- Duke Mayo: Duke (they always take a NC team if possible, and Duke hasn’t played there since 2012)
- Pinstripe: Georgia Tech (we’re the only ones of the group who have never played in the Pinstripe)
- Military: Miami (have never played there. Closest team is VT, but they’ve been there twice in the past 10 years)
- Sun: VT (haven’t played there since 2013)
- Gasparilla: Syracuse (game is in Tampa and you know Syracuse has a lot of snowbird alums down in Florida)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Military bowl at Annapolis is great location if u can get accomodations. Went there on way to Army Navy bowl game. If u go try to fly in Washinton Reagan as its connections are quick.