Bowl Projections & Rumors

slugboy

Staff member
The Kiffin team where the Coach, the players, and the AD from that experience are all gone?
Bowl committees have long memories. maybe they’ll be convinced this time is different, but you’re usually happier taking a team trending up than trending down. Especially if their best players aren’t participating

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a fear of crime that makes me say “No thanks“ to the Pinstripe. It’s the cost of getting there on top of the $1000-2000 cost of a hotel room for 2 nights as well as the overinflated prices for dining out. On top of that, winter in NY in December doesn’t sound like much fun to this southern boy.

Give me Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Tampa.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s not a fear of crime that makes me say “No thanks“ to the Pinstripe. It’s the cost of getting there on top of the $1000-2000 cost of a hotel room as well as the overinflated prices for dining out. On top of that, winter in NY in December doesn’t sound like much fun to this southern boy.

Give me Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Tampa.

You can stay in NYC cheap if you know the city. Hotels on Staten Island can be had for less than $200 a night most times. Uber to the ferry and you have several subway lines that terminate on the southern tip of Manhattan. We drive up there every couple of years as a family and stay for a few days to let the kids see the sights.

Personally, I'd like Charlotte as I have a good chance of actually making that bowl.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Sun will get Miami and match them against USC in a TV ratings game. None of the Pac-12 bowls want USC because they know Caleb WIlliams is going to sit out.

Duke's Mayo probably wants Virginia Tech to be honest and with Duke's coach leaving could see that happening. That's a wildcard and I think GT could be in the mix there.

ND, Clemson, NC State, and UNC are getting the ReliaQuest, Gator, Holiday and Pop Tart bowls in some order. I think we can stop speculating about those games.
Fair point on Duke maybe being less sought after with Elko gone. VT played in the Duke’s Mayo in 2019, hopefully that’s recent enough that they decide they’d rather take GT for the novelty aspect. Certainly not counting on it though

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Bowl committees have long memories. maybe they’ll be convinced this time is different, but you’re usually happier taking a team trending up than trending down. Especially if their best players aren’t participating
Do they have a choice? I guess they could take California instead but they aren't exactly high on the totem poll and I doubt that bowl game would turn down a USC vs Miami matchup.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
it’s going to be a weird crossover of people that would be excited about the pinstripe bowl (which I am a part of). It’s going to be people who want to visit the city, and baseball fans who want to see a football game in the stadium.
I’ve been going to NYC since I was 12 and I’ve never not had a great time! I’ll be happy to compare notes with anyone on things to do. It really is one of the greatest cities in the world but I get that some people don’t like cities or find them intimidating.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Charlotte is always looking for a school from NC first - so NCST, UNC and Duke are likely all higher on their list than GT. I suspect VT will be higher on their list than GT as well.
Clemson is one they would like as well if they are available when they select.
Do duke fans show up for bowl games?

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Already traveling back to GA for the holidays, so could easily add in a NC or FL bowl within driving distance. Any other destination, and it guarantees I'll be watching the game on TV.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Does it really irritate anyone else that ND is getting one of our bowls and bumping teams like GT down the chain? Or is it just me?
Since bowl revenue is given to the conference for distribution to its member schools (previously evenly, but now the top teams get a bump), I wondered about how this works with ND. All I could find on the subject was this “The only exception is Notre Dame, which is handled separately under a conference agreement that has not been made public.”

This was from a 2014 article. It would not surprise me if ND not only got an ACC-affiliated bowl but also had a more favorable revenue distribution. 😠

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
What I wouldn't give for this game. I don't know why everyone is dead set on going to NYC when it will be 20 degrees.
I really enjoyed both previous trips to the Sun Bowl, so that'd be my choice if NC and FL options are out.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I like the Pinstripe because that is probably the only chance I will get to go. My wife informed me after I dragged her to the ACCCG in 2006 in the rain and froze her hiney off in the 2010 Orange bowl she would not be traveling with me to any more football games. But if it is in NY this year, she has agreed to go shopping while I attend the game. :)

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Does it really irritate anyone else that ND is getting one of our bowls and bumping teams like GT down the chain? Or is it just me?
Yes, not sure who made the deal from the ACC to get them into the conference for all the non-football sports, but for them to have an ACC Bowl slot and get a vote on conference expansion that is driven by football revenue is ridiculous ... IMO, either your all in or your out.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Or Jacksonville or Orlando.

Yeah those would work for sure. Lots to do in both and good weather overall.

I’m hoping for Auburn in Charlotte. Neither of us have ever played in that bowl, historic rivalry, and driving distance for both. Think it’d be well attended.

Same. Charlotte vs Auburn or another team is my preference. Charlotte is an awesome city now, lots of cool craft breweries.