Bowl Projections & Rumors

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying they would turn down an opportunity or funding. The question originally post was valid… Why is there a bowl taking a 5-7 team when one of the academies could have six wins?

I took issue with a reply that said the Bowls shouldn’t have to wait. To me, it seemed to uphold the bowl selection as some noble institution not to be inconvenienced by the silly academies. (that was not the posters intent, we don’t need to go back there.)

The fact is, the bowls don’t wait, they aren’t being asked to wait, and the academies don’t care nearly as much about bowl prospects as they do this upcoming weekend. It’s more important for them to play this game on this day in this manner.
I guess I should have highlighted the part that I was saying was silly. Not the concept, in general, but "the potential trade off of a missed bowl game is not even on their radar this week," in specific.

I should be more clear. Sorry. I believe they very much care and in this particular instance probably spent much time weighing the consequences.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I guess I should have highlighted the part that I was saying was silly. Not the concept, in general, but "the potential trade off of a missed bowl game is not even on their radar this week," in specific.

I should be more clear. Sorry. I believe they very much care and in this particular instance probably spent much time weighing the consequences.
I guess we’ll get our answer if they move next year’s game. ;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess we’ll get our answer if they move next year’s game. ;)
Well.. in another twist. Army is joining the AAC next year... same conference Navy is in.

The Army/Navy game will remain in same spot on the schedule AND officially a "non-conference" game. However, I assume there could be an AAC conference championship game featuring Army v Navy. We'll get to have Army/Navy back-to-back weekends. Let's hope. :)

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just saw on The Spun that the Orange Bowl press conference set for Thursday with Smart and Norvell has been cancelled??
Lots of things you could take from this. I'm sure there's more discussion elsewhere on the site, but 2 things came to mind:

1 - This could be simply Mike Norvell's take on "malicious compliance" or "quietly quitting" the CFP system this year. Did anyone else notice how Norvell hasn't appeared on any of the ESPN talking heads shows to discuss FSU being left out? (Or at least he didn't on the day of). Normally, I would expect ESPN to have had him on immediately to ask some dumb questions about how he feels about it, etc. Silence from him, and FSU admins, except for prepared statements. Perhaps they're rightfully fed up enough with the whole system that they're not going to play the "give juicy soundbits and give ESPN and the bowls more revenue?

It will be interesting to hear what Norvell has to say at the game. If any reporter asks about the controversy, I'd welcome a cold glare along with "No comment," or specifically letting ESPN know beforehand that if it comes up, he'll simply walk away from the interview.

2 - Like everyone, it makes me wonder if FSU or uGA (or both) are considering a "vote of no confidence" scenario, by either boycotting or not playing competitively. Hell, many of their star players are already out the door, or on the way out.

uGA is always "unmotivated" after not getting a cream of the crop bowl like they expect - but for FSU, this feels different. The rest of FSU's team (who haven't gone elsewhere) has to deal with being told "all the work you did this season doesn't matter." Doesn't motivate me to play, for sure.

I would love to see both teams agree to essentially play 2-hand touch. Or punt on every first down. That would be a statement I think most of the CFB world would support.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lots of things you could take from this. I'm sure there's more discussion elsewhere on the site, but 2 things came to mind:

1 - This could be simply Mike Norvell's take on "malicious compliance" or "quietly quitting" the CFP system this year. Did anyone else notice how Norvell hasn't appeared on any of the ESPN talking heads shows to discuss FSU being left out? (Or at least he didn't on the day of). Normally, I would expect ESPN to have had him on immediately to ask some dumb questions about how he feels about it, etc. Silence from him, and FSU admins, except for prepared statements. Perhaps they're rightfully fed up enough with the whole system that they're not going to play the "give juicy soundbits and give ESPN and the bowls more revenue?

It will be interesting to hear what Norvell has to say at the game. If any reporter asks about the controversy, I'd welcome a cold glare along with "No comment," or specifically letting ESPN know beforehand that if it comes up, he'll simply walk away from the interview.

2 - Like everyone, it makes me wonder if FSU or uGA (or both) are considering a "vote of no confidence" scenario, by either boycotting or not playing competitively. Hell, many of their star players are already out the door, or on the way out.

uGA is always "unmotivated" after not getting a cream of the crop bowl like they expect - but for FSU, this feels different. The rest of FSU's team (who haven't gone elsewhere) has to deal with being told "all the work you did this season doesn't matter." Doesn't motivate me to play, for sure.

I would love to see both teams agree to essentially play 2-hand touch. Or punt on every first down. That would be a statement I think most of the CFB world would support.

I won't be surprised if FSU sues for lost revenue and damages since the written principles of conference Champions and past not predictive results weren't followed.

While I despise FSU for trying to take hostages in the ACC expansion vote, they did get screwed. So I hope they share the pain somehow.