Bowl game Uni.... some will need a suicide watch

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I responded to your post, not so much in disagreement with your take on how to lead a branding campaign, as much as providing a different point of view or approach.

Interesting sidenote - there was a recent GT athletics donor that coughed up a $500,000 gift due to a monetization event at the start up they worked at. They were a class of 2013 grad, iirc.

How do things work when your donors are children?

No question that new grads with the wealth have the potential to be a major factor. But .. you can’t make good decisions on what they “might” do. Only what they actually do.

All my experience doing this suggests fads and gimmicks work short-term. Classics work forever.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I responded to your post, not so much in disagreement with your take on how to lead a branding campaign, as much as providing a different point of view or approach.

Interesting sidenote - there was a recent GT athletics donor that coughed up a $500,000 gift due to a monetization event at the start up they worked at. They were a class of 2013 grad, iirc.

How do things work when your donors are children?

When it's all said and done, this is the generation that will be driving the GTAA bus in the near future.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I aim to please, so this will be inclusive of you, me, and everyone else not in a GT uniform and I'll lump us all together to avoid any divisiveness.

We're not out there busting our hump, the kids playing for GT are. Let them have some perks, even if some don't like it. They actually earn it.

We're just increasing our post count. When it comes to many of these topics, myself included, we can all go **** ourselves.

If the players are going to make the decisions on uniforms, why not let them pick the plays? Set the practice schedule? Work the donor lists?

In fact ... why do we need an AD? Let’s just have a player run sports organization. Let the SA’s decide ... everything.

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
Did someone say "as recently as the 70s" when describing GT? The 70s was over 40 years ago - that's not recent...

Also, there's no way we're in the same category as ND and PSU right now. ND looked way better than us when we played, is in the playoffs this year and played in a national championship in the past decade.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I aim to please, so this will be inclusive of you, me, and everyone else not in a GT uniform and I'll lump us all together to avoid any divisiveness.

We're not out there busting our hump, the kids playing for GT are. Let them have some perks, even if some don't like it. They actually earn it.

We're just increasing our post count. When it comes to many of these topics, myself included, we can all go **** ourselves.

You said the exact same thing you already said, but worded differently. I know what you're trying to say, really, but it's still just as funny.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
If the players are going to make the decisions on uniforms, why not let them pick the plays? Set the practice schedule? Work the donor lists?

In fact ... why do we need an AD? Let’s just have a player run sports organization. Let the SA’s decide ... everything.
You know, this might really improve our sports programs. It couldn’t hurt much.

Too late for me now but i really wanted to to tell CGC about these uniforms. Funny enough my Sister will actually be going and I've given her orders of what to say to him lol
Sorry you won't be there. Is your sister an alum or a student or what? Maybe we can join forces....LOL Although I really think if I say anything, it will be to TStan, not CGC

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If they have never graduated college nor held a professional job ... they are children.

If you feel they should be making the decisions, let’s get rid of the AD.
dude stop going from 0 to 100 and acting like there aren't any numbers in between.

These college students (who are adults in every sense of the word except for your personal definition it seems) are "controlling" one aspect of the football team. I use quotation marks because the seniors are given a set to choose from meaning an "adult" had to decide what was in the set. Also this decision is over something that literally matters NOTHING to the overall football and athletic program.

Also I'm turning 29 this week, have been married for ~4 years and have had a professional job since graduating. I'm still treated as a "child" in almost all settings with older people. They just put new qualifications like "own a house" "have a kid" "out of debt" or "senior level employee."

If we get called ageist at for complaining about OWG's controlling everything then you need to be called ageist for calling adults children.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Ahhh yes! The old scorched Earth technique.

I'll use one of my own.

I know it's tough, but at what point do dinosaurs who are nearing extinction give up the ghost on their rigid box of "tradition". When do they realize that their opinions are no longer relevant, if ever they were?

I know if I'm lucky to be here another 20-30 years, I'll be that dinosaur and I'll have to make way, whether I like it or not.

Times change, but better to enjoy the times you have than not because of getting your nose bent out of shape over what may be a minor detail in the grand scheme.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
dude stop going from 0 to 100 and acting like there aren't any numbers in between.

These college students (who are adults in every sense of the word except for your personal definition it seems) are "controlling" one aspect of the football team. I use quotation marks because the seniors are given a set to choose from meaning an "adult" had to decide what was in the set. Also this decision is over something that literally matters NOTHING to the overall football and athletic program.

Also I'm turning 29 this week, have been married for ~4 years and have had a professional job since graduating. I'm still treated as a "child" in almost all settings with older people. They just put new qualifications like "own a house" "have a kid" "out of debt" or "senior level employee."

If we get called ageist at for complaining about OWG's controlling everything then you need to be called ageist for calling adults children.

First. I’m not a dude. I’m a sir. I’ve been married longer than you’ve been alive, worked for 35 years, run multiple divisions of a Fortune 50 companies. I speak from experience, not bravado.

You don’t succeed in any endeavor by assigning decision authority on s major issue to someone without qualifications. And sorry ... players don’t run the program.

That’s my opinion. You can disagree with it or not. And I really don’t care.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh yes! The old scorched Earth technique.

I'll use one of my own.

I know it's tough, but at what point do dinosaurs who are nearing extinction give up the ghost on their rigid box of "tradition". When do they realize that their opinions are no longer relevant, if ever they were?

I know if I'm lucky to be here another 20-30 years, I'll be that dinosaur and I'll have to make way, whether I like it or not.

Times change, but better to enjoy the times you have than not because of getting your nose bent out of shape over what may be a minor detail in the grand scheme.

You are correct. I’m opining on what I think makes us attractive. Others have a different view.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
First. I’m not a dude. I’m a sir.
roll.gif

roll.gif

Technically I'm a Mister since that's what my students (you know. actual children) call me everyday.

And having worked in communications and marketing jobs I can guarantee that plenty of people with decision authority don't have any qualifications in a lot of companies.

Als0... and I cannot stress this enough. The uniform combination our team wears means literally NOTHING to the overall program or department. The uniform design and what options are available might but the mix and match the seniors vote on has 0 weight.