Bowl game Uni.... some will need a suicide watch

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure you are right, and it will probably even have lower attendance as well, but that is still not the stage for introducing some ugly @ss uniform that flies in the face of tradition, simply because "the players like it."

My biggest fear is that with all the changes .. the Twitter jerseys, the move to navy blue, the DJ ... we are still 7-5 and piss off the fan base. The majority of STHrs are 50+ and not one that I know likes this stuff. If you win and replace th fan base with new fans that deliver ... ok. If you don’t ... big problem.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And for the ones that think the players opinions don’t matter that is down right sad, and almost sickening that someone could have that attitude towards the guys that put so much more into this then any of us (except a few) have.

I led two global branding projects for Fortune 50 companies. While one respects the views of all groups, ultimately, tough decisions have to be made and enforced.

My view is that children don’t decide the brand of a 133 year old organization. Especially without input from some rather significant stakeholders ... the donors.

TStan has made it clear he is going to do what he wants. So, we have to see if he’s a good steward of the brand.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I led two global branding projects for Fortune 50 companies. While one respects the views of all groups, ultimately, tough decisions have to be made and enforced.

My view is that children don’t decide the brand of a 133 year old organization. Especially without input from some rather significant stakeholders ... the donors.

TStan has made it clear he is going to do what he wants. So, we have to see if he’s a good steward of the brand.

There are only so many big big GT boosters and the half-life on many of us nickel & dimers, such as myself, is rapidly deteriorating. That's the point. That's why a younger generation is being targeted. They are the future and they have the potential to be bigger donors than those in the past.

Older GT fans don't want to face that reality though, so they hang their hat on tradition, instead of facing towards the future.

It was a 40 year decision for many of us, but guess what, those 40 years will be over sooner than many think or accept.

Who does understand this reality? Todd Stansbury.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

If you led an organization’s marketing effort whose popularity was waning and who was struggling with attracting new talented employees you would double down on listening to a minority of your dwindling customer base?

Eek.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are only so many big big GT boosters and the half-life on many of us nickel & dimers, such as myself, is rapidly deteriorating. That's the point. That's why a younger generation is being targeted. They are the future and they have the potential to be bigger donors than those in the past.

Older GT fans don't want to face that reality though, so they hang their hat on tradition, instead of facing towards the future.

It was a 40 year decision for many of us, but guess what, those 40 years will be over sooner than many think or accept.

You may be right. My opinions are my own.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you led an organization’s marketing effort whose popularity was waning and who was struggling with attracting new talented employees you would double down on listening to a minority of your dwindling customer base?

Eek.

“Branding” is not why the fan base is dwindling. The demographics of today’s Tech student is very different than what I experienced in the 80’s.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Sooo are they meant to be different than the ones from the Clemson game? If they are, I can’t tell a difference

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
To me, it boils down to this:

- under CGC I think we will see many different uni combos

- I think Blue will have a presence as it did starting under Boss Ross (regardless of NCAA rule or not)

- Since we have a unique & classy logo, I wish the trim & striping on our unis reflected that same class.

- I have seen seasons were we wore G/W/G for Every game and I understand today's S/As getting tired of that.

- Maybe they could have different polls where one game the,students get to pick the uni; one game the season ticket holders get to pick it. Something like that.

- New TECH GOLD. I don't know if TStan or Adidas, but somebody screwed this deal up about as bad as any undertaking in GT history. Either someone lied, or they are total idiots. TECH GOLD my azz.
-

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This quite possibly sums up why GT is in such dire straits with sidewalk fans and younger alumni. There's a myriad of tributaries off the main river of reasons why the GT fan base has eroded over the years, but summation of it boils down to the fact that previous administrations have not emphasized cultivating the younger donor base and relied too often on the big donor well.

The minute it's worn in the bowl game it will be Georgia Tech. No amount of all caps temper tantrum will change that.
Totally disagree. It's one thing to add to "traditions," like we did with Buzz and the 'Reck, but it's an entirely different thing to totally upheave them, especially when there is not need to do so, nor proof that it will make anything better. Why would we want a tradition of looking like 50 or so other schools in the country, when we have a tradition of uniqueness. If anybody thinks the stadium is suddenly going to fill up with new fans or old returning fans because we suddenly, and for no real reason, change out color scheme, then he is foolish. Nor do I think all of a sudden we are going to be engulfed with 4* and 5* recruits either. If a recruit goes to any school because of the color of the uniforms, then he has his priorities all wrong and probably won't contribute much in the long term. The ONLY way either improvements in attendance or recruiting is going to happen is if we start winning CONSISTENTLY. That may or may not happen under Collins. I think all of us hope that it will, but that would just as easily happen wearing G-W-G or W-G-W, or all white every game. It's not just the old farts who think this way, and I doubt, if one actually sat down and talked to them, any young fans or players would really disagree. It doesn't take much common sense to realize that it's not the way you look, but the way you perform, and I doubt we are going to suddenly perform any better abandoning our uniqueness. Nor would we perform any worse by not abandoning it. As I have said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is absolutely no need to look like Navy or UVA or (to some extent) Auburn, etc, etc. We should revel in and promote and capitalize on our uniqueness, not get rid of it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But Georgia Tech has been The White and Gold since the early part of the 20th century. I don't really give a damn what color combinations other schools may have randomly used through the years, Georgia Tech IS The White and Gold.

Name about any color combo, there's somebody out there who has worn it at one time or another. But the fact remains that at one time Georgia Tech was the only major college team with the official colors of white and gold. Lots of red and gold, black and gold, you-name-it-and-gold. Oodles of blue and gold. Lots of white and whatever. But only one white and gold. At least we used to be. Blue and gold is a common combo, but white and gold is unique. Or used to be. To go away from it is to forfeit some of our uniqueness, our distinctive branding.

I have seen seasons were we wore G/W/G for Every game and I understand today's S/As getting tired of that.
Do you know if the S/As at Bama or Georgia or Clemson get tired of the more-or-less consistent color combinations they wear? Clemson probably varies theirs more than others, but in all cases, they stick with combinations of PRIMARY colors. I would imagine any athlete at Bama who might say he was tired of that same ole look week after week, and he would be laughed at in the face and told to sit down and shut up.

Name about any color combo, there's somebody out there who has worn it at one time or another. But the fact remains that at one time Georgia Tech was the only major college team with the official colors of white and gold. Lots of red and gold, black and gold, you-name-it-and-gold. Oodles of blue and gold. Lots of white and whatever. But only one white and gold. At least we used to be. Blue and gold is a common combo, but white and gold is unique. Or used to be. To go away from it is to forfeit some of our uniqueness, our distinctive branding.
AMEN, brother, and, according to this list, we are still the only one, with the exception of Xavier of New Orleans, who, I don't believe, fields a football team .

https://www.caninejournal.com/college-colors/

This should be impressed on fans, players, students, and recruits.

Why is suddenly changing the school colors "facing the future"?

Milwaukee

Banned
Just checking in: are allegedly grown men still complaining about what color college kids wear while playing a game?

Just checking in: are you females still interjecting every other post about how you don't care about unis while you whine along with them...but you just have a different stance?

Getting deep in here. The cool kids that think it's silly that people are bitching post every 90 seconds telling the board how much they don't care.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do you know if the S/As at Bama or Georgia or Clemson get tired of the more-or-less consistent color combinations they wear? Clemson probably varies theirs more than others, but in all cases, they stick with combinations of PRIMARY colors. I would imagine any athlete at Bama who might say he was tired of that same ole look week after week, and he would be laughed at in the face and told to sit down and shut up.

That is so untrue. Before every game, Coach Saban holds a team meeting with the players. And they vote as to what to wear. They can vote to wear a) crimson and white or b) white and crimson.